Old 05-31-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
Viacom Army
Human being with feelings

Default Help me love Reaper!

Hello,

I've been messing around with Reaper for the past few days trying to get the hang of it. In my current setup, I use both Nuendo and PT depending on tasks I have at hand, and want to simplify this setup with something that is more customizable....like Reaper.

Well, this program is so freakin confusing at times. I think the ease at which things are customized is both a plus and a minus when it comes to understanding the program itself, because it seems like everyone's version of it is different.

I have a few questions as to what's possible, things I miss/need from the other DAW's that I have known for years. I'll list all my qualms below, and maybe someone could help me out. Sorry if this is all stuff that's been over again and again, but I've been reading these forums for about 3 days straight, can can't find answers to some of these questions.

Here goes....

1. Move audio to different track while locking in time. This is "Ctrl drag" in Nuendo

2. Zoom the waveform itself to be able to see small transients better without zooming the track itself. Every other DAW I've ever used has a slider or toolbar for this, so I'm sure I've just overlooked it.

3. The undo history saves stuff that is non-destructive and pointless like "record enable track" that makes it hard to sort through sometimes. Is there a way to disable all but edits to the media files themselves?

4. Can the transport bar be docked to the top of the project instead of the middle? Is there a way to have the beat divisions for the snap feature as a drop-down in the transport instead of buried in a menu system? And finally, is there a way to get rid of that "rate" slider? I can't see that thing ever causing anything but problems by accidentally clicking on it.

5. I really REALLY miss my split tool in Nuendo that shows a floating cursor over the track you're mouse if hovering over. It makes for very precise and easy splitting. Using the split tool in Nuendo, I can edit DI tracks and minor drum fixes with ease using one hand. I really like only using one hand when possible. I keep seeing discussions about a split tool for Reaper existing somewhere but can't find it.

6. What's up with this continuous trimming going on in here. If I trim a file past where it exists, it keeps expanding past there and it's just a duplicate of itself underneath. This seems totally pointless to me and was confusing the hell out of me to begin with.

7. The feature I seem to miss most of all is "locate next event". This is a brilliant and simple feature where you just have a track highlighted and hit "N" and the cursor moves to the next audio event on that track. I know the lingo is probably different, but is this feature doable? I use that A LOT.

8. Other than a zoom tool of some kind, I guess those are my main issues at the moment with Reaper. If what I know about the program so far rings true, then I'm sure all these things are quick easy customize options that I'm simply overlooking.

Thank you all for any help or guidance in my journey to try and love this program.
Viacom Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viacom Army View Post
Hello,

I've been messing around with Reaper for the past few days trying to get the hang of it. In my current setup, I use both Nuendo and PT depending on tasks I have at hand, and want to simplify this setup with something that is more customizable....like Reaper.

Well, this program is so freakin confusing at times. I think the ease at which things are customized is both a plus and a minus when it comes to understanding the program itself, because it seems like everyone's version of it is different.

I have a few questions as to what's possible, things I miss/need from the other DAW's that I have known for years. I'll list all my qualms below, and maybe someone could help me out. Sorry if this is all stuff that's been over again and again, but I've been reading these forums for about 3 days straight, can can't find answers to some of these questions.

Here goes....

1. Move audio to different track while locking in time. This is "Ctrl drag" in Nuendo

2. Zoom the waveform itself to be able to see small transients better without zooming the track itself. Every other DAW I've ever used has a slider or toolbar for this, so I'm sure I've just overlooked it.

3. The undo history saves stuff that is non-destructive and pointless like "record enable track" that makes it hard to sort through sometimes. Is there a way to disable all but edits to the media files themselves?

4. Can the transport bar be docked to the top of the project instead of the middle? Is there a way to have the beat divisions for the snap feature as a drop-down in the transport instead of buried in a menu system? And finally, is there a way to get rid of that "rate" slider? I can't see that thing ever causing anything but problems by accidentally clicking on it.

5. I really REALLY miss my split tool in Nuendo that shows a floating cursor over the track you're mouse if hovering over. It makes for very precise and easy splitting. Using the split tool in Nuendo, I can edit DI tracks and minor drum fixes with ease using one hand. I really like only using one hand when possible. I keep seeing discussions about a split tool for Reaper existing somewhere but can't find it.

6. What's up with this continuous trimming going on in here. If I trim a file past where it exists, it keeps expanding past there and it's just a duplicate of itself underneath. This seems totally pointless to me and was confusing the hell out of me to begin with.

7. The feature I seem to miss most of all is "locate next event". This is a brilliant and simple feature where you just have a track highlighted and hit "N" and the cursor moves to the next audio event on that track. I know the lingo is probably different, but is this feature doable? I use that A LOT.

8. Other than a zoom tool of some kind, I guess those are my main issues at the moment with Reaper. If what I know about the program so far rings true, then I'm sure all these things are quick easy customize options that I'm simply overlooking.

Thank you all for any help or guidance in my journey to try and love this program.
i would like to know the answer to a lot of these

perhaps adam will chime in
Old 05-31-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
EvilDragon

1. For now you're gonna have to use keyboard for this. Num 2 and Num 8 keys for moving selected items down/up. Or, right click on the padlock icon in the main toolbar, and click on "Enable locking" and "Items (prevent left/right movement)". You also have "Locking: Toggle left/right item locking mode" action which you can assign to a key of your choice so you can use it more quickly

2. You have "Peaks: Increase/decrease peaks view gain" actions. I have them on Shift+Up or Down.

3. You can only disable creating undo points for making an item/track/time selection.

4. Transport can't be docked to the top. You can edit almost all menus to suit yourself. For a good starting point, search the forum for "ReaMenus". Yes, you can remove the playrate slider. Right-click the Transport->Show playrate control!

5. You do have "Split item under mouse cursor" command. I have it on Shift+S

6. Select your item, press F2 and disable Loop source. You can also have this disabled by defaults, it's in the Properties.

7. You have to get used to searching the Action list. It's there, albeit "different lingo": "Item navigation: Select and move to next item".

8. Mousewheel is your zoom tool, ALWAYS.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
1. For now you're gonna have to use keyboard for this. Num 2 and Num 8 keys for moving selected items down/up. Or, right click on the padlock icon in the main toolbar, and click on "Enable locking" and "Items (prevent left/right movement)". You also have "Locking: Toggle left/right item locking mode" action which you can assign to a key of your choice so you can use it more quickly

2. You have "Peaks: Increase/decrease peaks view gain" actions. I have them on Shift+Up or Down.

3. You can only disable creating undo points for making an item/track/time selection.

4. Transport can't be docked to the top. You can edit almost all menus to suit yourself. For a good starting point, search the forum for "ReaMenus". Yes, you can remove the playrate slider. Right-click the Transport->Show playrate control!

5. You do have "Split item under mouse cursor" command. I have it on Shift+S

6. Select your item, press F2 and disable Loop source. You can also have this disabled by defaults, it's in the Properties.

7. You have to get used to searching the Action list. It's there, albeit "different lingo": "Item navigation: Select and move to next item".

1. how can you make this a default? cuz my projects usually have thousands of "items"

2. how do you get back to "normal". i use wave form view to check if im clipping or not (as everyone should since you can't clip the internal summing)

5. how do you make it so you actually see a line where you're going to cut?

thanks!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
EvilDragon

1. Just assign the keys you want to trigger those actions with in the Actions list. For example, I have:

Num 2 - "Item edit: Move items/envelope points down one track/a bit
Num 8 - "Item edit: Move items/envelope points up one track/a bit
Num 5 - "Locking: Toggle left/right item locking mode"

Then you just click on the padlock icon when you want locking.

2. You just bring it back to normal with continuous repetition of "Decrease peaks view gain" action. Just hold Shift+Down for that. You can also make a custom action which will have 20 "Decrease peaks view gain" actions in it, this would virtually reset the peaks view gain.

5. You can't show that line, for now. But general rule is, where the tip of mouse pointer shows, that's where the cut is going to be.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
Viacom Army

Reply to the Dragon...

Ahhhh, I can lock movement left and right! I've always wished I could do this as I'm usually not moving stuff around out of time post drum editing. Having this enabled makes it ONE HAND instead of two. That's the kinda stuff I love to hear.

I can't find where to disable "loop source" for all tracks. I'm still looking, but I can't find it even typing in the word "loop" in the prefs search box.

Zooming waveforms, brilliant, and thanks for pointing that out. I don't mind not having a slider or button for this since it's usually only needed for in depth edits where I can see things a little better.

Still really wish I could figure out a way to "select sub division for slap" from the transport like every other DAW on the market. Can you customize menus to be anywhere on the screen, or just from the menu bar at the top?

Zooming with the mouse sucks, but I'll see if my muscle memory gets used to it after a couple more days. I love the way both other programs zoom, Nuendo dragging the cursor up and down from the timeline, and the PT "zoom once" tool is great, you highlight a selection and it zooms to it, then the tool turns back into the regular cursor.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
AdamWathan

Regarding constraining item movement to vertical only:

Most people don't know this but Reaper has a mechanism built into it that prevents left/right movement when dragging across tracks unless it feels like you are specifically making an effort to move it left and right. There is a 20-30 pixel buffer zone that you can move left and right in and the item won't move left or right until you try and move it outside of that zone.

Try it, grab an item and try to move it up a track, and then very gently move your mouse left and right. You'll notice you can move it without the item moving at all. So as long as you are using even a remote bit of control and care when dragging items vertically to other tracks, they will be constrained automatically.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
EricM

Quote:
I can't find where to disable "loop source" for all tracs
It's per item, not per track.

Preferences > Projects > Default > Loop source for imported items (top left)

for existing tracks select all (ctrl+a), F2, "All at once" (pop up dialog), disable
loop source check box top right.
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
Evan

Quote:
Zooming with the mouse sucks, but I'll see if my muscle memory gets used to it after a couple more days. I love the way both other programs zoom, Nuendo dragging the cursor up and down from the timeline, and the PT "zoom once" tool is great, you highlight a selection and it zooms to it, then the tool turns back into the regular cursor.
I am coming from the same place. Please vote for this FR. Every vote counts

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1723

Last edited by Evan; 05-31-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

Check this out:

http://web.me.com/produceher/filechute/Zoom.mov
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
Viacom Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
YES! So how are you doing that exactly? Are you having to hold Ctrl+F7+9+Z and tap your left foot, haha.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
AdamWathan

Quote:
YES! So how are you doing that exactly? Are you having to hold Ctrl+F7+9+Z and tap your left foot, haha.
Action list. There's a zoom toggle action for just about every situation you can imagine. For me, I only ever want horizontal zoom, I have no need for my tracks to zoom vertically as well so I use the one in the list where you can see I've assigned the "E" key. Just find the one that does what you want and assign it to a key, then you can make a time+item selection, hit zoom and it'll zoom in for you.

AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
I'm using a pen. So I select a section, hit the pen button (set to my custom action) and it zooms to window and hits escape to clear selection.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:44 AM   #14
Viacom Army

Quote:
Another moment of ahhhh. I set this up to be "N" and "B" like in Nuendo and it actually works better for my purposes in Reaper because it actually only moves the cursor to the BEGINNING of the next item. In Nuendo, "N" moves the cursor to the next "event" ha, but it considers that either a beginning or end so I keep having to hit "N" twice to get to the next transient. So now in Reaper, I only have to hit it once...NICE.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #15
McTamara

Quote:

Why "always" ?

I didn´t get used to it so now my arrow keys do the "regular" zooms. At least on this "Test-Reaper" it feels nice.

MW only scrolls here.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #16
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTamara View Post
Why "always" ?

I didn´t get used to it so now my arrow keys do the "regular" zooms. At least on this "Test-Reaper" it feels nice.

MW only scrolls here.

Mousewheel regular - scroll vertically
Alt+MW - scroll horizontally
Ctrl+MW - zoom vertically
Shift+MW - zoom horizontally
Ctrl+Shift+MW - zoom horizontally and vertically at the same time

Works beautifully (and EXTREMELY FAST) for me.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #17
Evan

Quote:
Mousewheel regular - scroll vertically
Alt+MW - scroll horizontally
Ctrl+MW - zoom vertically
Shift+MW - zoom horizontally
Ctrl+Shift+MW - zoom horizontally and vertically at the same time

Works beautifully (and EXTREMELY FAST) for me.
Hey ED, when I do Alt+MW, it works fine but when I let go of the Alt, the menu 'File' is selected and then I have to click somewhere to defocus it. Does this happen to you? I am on 3.53pre9 btw.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #18
Viacom Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTamara View Post
Why "always" ?

MW only scrolls here.
For now I definitely agree. Zooming is my least favorite part of reaper so far. I'm trying to get used to it, but it's so inaccurate. Nuendo's zooming cursor vs. this mouse wheel thing is probably my biggest hang up at the moment.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #19
EvilDragon

Eh, I find Reaper's zoom fairly accurate, no niggles at all. What are your mouse preferences?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #20
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

Here goes....

I don't believe you can use a "modifier" for this but you can lock left and right movement in the locking dialog. You can also make custom actions to turn that specific locking mode on and off. So you can hit one key to turn it on in one shot.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:29 PM   #21
rennect

Quote:
Is there a way to have the beat divisions for the snap feature as a drop-down in the transport instead of buried in a menu system?
You can create buttons for this in Floating toolbar (press F and customize it)

rennect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:45 PM   #22
joeymusicguy

i guess i'll use more hard drive space and record much longer than i ever intend to cut so that i won't accidentally scroll the right edge too far past where audio doesn't actually exist...

thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #23
EvilDragon

Now you're really being dense.

If you want "standard" behavior, ProTools is that way. Enjoy.

Reaper is making new standards in DAW world. You might as well get used to it.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:57 AM   #24
hopi

my grid divisions floating toolbar...

includes multiply and divide by values of 1.5, 2 and 3 and most of the normal divisions one would think of...

btw, while experimenting with this, I took the 1/128 grid and kept multiplying the divisions by 2... I stopped somewhere at about 1/65,000 something [you do the math].... yeah, so... no need to tell that is a finer grid division than I'd ever use... just interesting that reaper's math is there to do it and show it...

...on a more practical note... you could set the grid to show the actually divisions for ticks... or close enough,just in case you had a situation where you really needed to adjust accurately to ticks and be able to see a reference to it... not too shabby.

Last edited by hopi; 06-01-2010 at 03:12 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:25 AM   #25
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Now you're really being dense.

If you want "standard" behavior, ProTools is that way. Enjoy.

Reaper is making new standards in DAW world. You might as well get used to it.
sorry man, i just strongly disagree with not having the option

especially when almost all other daws function like this, it should at least be an option.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:28 AM   #26
EvilDragon

It seems your opinion is kind of outnumbered around here... a lot of people like this Reaper's behavior.

I have no disrespect for your opinion, but what you're suggesting is a step backwards IMHO.

Also, please use Edit button instead of multiposting the hell out of the thread. You also have a MULTIQUOTE button to quote several posts at once (to the right of Quote button)!
Old 06-01-2010, 02:53 AM   #27
neteqx

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymusicguy View Post
i guess i'll use more hard drive space and record much longer than i ever intend to cut so that i won't accidentally scroll the right edge too far past where audio doesn't actually exist...

thanks!
Hi Joey, I understand what you're saying, but I think this feature is actually pretty cool and quite necessary to have when using item fx. Reverb tails, as EvilDragon mentioned earlier, and other time based effects would be cut short if you couldn't extend the end of the item. If we wanted to get picky even eq's will extend your waveform since they spread signals over time as well. (Not something to worry about though in practical terms. )

A good solution I believe for avoiding using extra hard drive space and driving whoever you're recording mad LOL would be to look for the small notches near the end of your items if you're not sure where the original waveform ends and where the silence starts. Reaper will even snap your edits to the notch if you need to do so. Hope this helps.
neteqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:14 AM   #28
neteqx

I must add that it's important to render your fadeout to your audio file before extending the end of the item and/or adding time based effects (as item fx) to it. Because if you don't (pleas correct me if i'm wrong) you could be potentially adding fx to a waveform that doesn't end in a proper fadeout. Or also what I do is to extend the item, split at the notch, and assuming I have autofades on, glue both items together.

Hmmm, this brings up something that I'd like to see in a future Reaper update. Hope this isn't too off topic, but since this would help me love Reaper even more, I think it'd be cool if when extending an item fadeouts were kept at the end of the original waveform. No need for the fade at the end of the section of silence.
neteqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:23 AM   #29
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neteqx View Post
I must add that it's important to render your fadeout to your audio file before extending the end of the item and/or adding time based effects (as item fx) to it. Because if you don't (pleas correct me if i'm wrong) you could be potentially adding fx to a waveform that doesn't end in a proper fadeout. Or also what I do is to extend the item, split at the notch, and assuming I have autofades on, glue both items together.

Hmmm, this brings up something that I'd like to see in a future Reaper update. Hope this isn't too off topic, but since this would help me love Reaper even more, I think it'd be cool if when extending an item fadeouts were kept at the end of the original waveform. No need for the fade at the end of the section of silence.
fade outs are real-time applied

in otherwords, non-destructive

if you want the fade out to be permanent and a part of the item its self, then you render / bounce / whatever
Old 06-01-2010, 03:22 AM   #30
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neteqx View Post
Hi Joey, I understand what you're saying, but I think this feature is actually pretty cool and quite necessary to have when using item fx. Reverb tails, as EvilDragon mentioned earlier, and other time based effects would be cut short if you couldn't extend the end of the item. If we wanted to get picky even eq's will extend your waveform since they spread signals over time as well. (Not something to worry about though in practical terms. )

A good solution I believe for avoiding using extra hard drive space and driving whoever you're recording mad LOL would be to look for the small notches near the end of your items if you're not sure where the original waveform ends and where the silence starts. Reaper will even snap your edits to the notch if you need to do so. Hope this helps.
you dont need any features to use item fx that require time extension to sound proper

you can just make some silence then hit glue

i'll deal with the notches, but the looping thing is not a feature i'd ever use. a lot of people do production and editing like i do, you just duplicate the region... its pretty basic stuff. but i understand reaper wants to be different. its just a non-impressive different. its like that weird kid at school who totally could be cool, but avoids it on purpose just because. i also understand that not everyone works like i do. but i've never in my life seen anyone using this feature until here haha. i've also seen similair complaints against features like these on other messageboards for other products. so i know im not alone.

Last edited by joeymusicguy; 06-01-2010 at 03:33 AM.
joeymusicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:18 AM   #31
bogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymusicguy View Post

thanks!
I don't get it. I never accidentally extend the right edge too far...

Last edited by bogo; 06-01-2010 at 03:25 AM. Reason: spelling
bogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:23 AM   #32
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogo View Post
I don't get it. I never accidentally enxtend the right edge too far...
do you have looping on? that's probably why.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:27 AM   #33
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennect View Post
You can create buttons for this in Floating toolbar (press F and customize it)

really cool! im going to do this!