Old 11-29-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
Wunder
Human being with feelings

Default The Ever Common Glitch Problem

I know many have already posted with the same problem, but i still havent seen any clear cut answers. When i play my own imported media, i get stuttering and skipping if i play more than say 3 tracks at the same time. Recording does the same. I can hear the demo song, "Making Me Nervous" and it play PERFECT. I have Windows XP, M-Audio Mobile Pre and 512mb Ram....Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!!
Wunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
kenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
I know many have already posted with the same problem, but i still havent seen any clear cut answers. When i play my own imported media, i get stuttering and skipping if i play more than say 3 tracks at the same time. Recording does the same. I can hear the demo song, "Making Me Nervous" and it play PERFECT. I have Windows XP, M-Audio Mobile Pre and 512mb Ram....Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!!
There may not be a clear-cut solution...

what's your PC: CPU? chipset?
what video card?
what VSTs/VSTis were you running?
do you have the glitch problem with other audio programs?

Reaper and any other multitrack audio app I've tried run fine on my current system (P4, 1 GB RAM). My last computer (Athlon, VIA chipset) was a glitchfest; it never settled down.
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
Wunder

I got a Pentium 4, CPU-1.8Ghz. I wasnt running any vst's at all. I was also having this problem with Cool Edit Pro, but it happened all of a sudden....I had recorded a dozen songs with multiple tracks.
Wunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
kenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
I got a Pentium 4, CPU-1.8Ghz. I wasnt running any vst's at all. I was also having this problem with Cool Edit Pro, but it happened all of a sudden....I had recorded a dozen songs with multiple tracks.
If the issue happens with more than one audio app, you can be pretty sure it's an issue with your PC, and not with Reaper or CEP.
(as I mentioned, reaper has been a brick for me - rock stable, no glitches, and i believe most people have found it to be glitch-free too)

It can be a hard one to solve. Could be your video card, USB issues, etc etc.

A good starting point is to try some optimisations to see if the situation improves. here's a URL with a bunch of things to try:

http://www.pcmus.com/TweakXP.htm
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
randygo

If you have onboard video, disable it and slap in a basic AGP video card.

I had the exact same problem with my new PC and it turned out the way the onboard video used main memory instead of dedicated VRAM was the source of the problem.

If the glitching gets worse as you move windows about the screen or the screen is redrawn, this might be a good indicator of this problem.

Cheers,

Randy

Last edited by randygo; 11-29-2006 at 04:29 PM.
randygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:41 AM   #6
Amether

Might be something to do with the samplerates/resolutions of your media being changed?
Amether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
RedStone

could be a myriad of things as suggested.
I had a ton of problems at first with reaper. A few things really beefed up the productivity though

1) I had bad firewire and USB ports that would buckle when I worked on audio - so I bought good ones.
2) I set the thread priorities in Reaper to time critical and the behavior to "agressive". I also set the priority of reaper in windows task manager to "high"
3) I set the playback resample mode to medium
4) the latest version (starting at around 1.47 I think) have some fixes that really helped some of the stuttering issues I was having). something called denormal - I don't understand the technical side of it, but I know that whatever the fix was worked

so that's what worked for me ...

Last edited by RedStone; 12-15-2006 at 11:17 AM.
RedStone is offline   Reply With Quote