Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Tommacool
Human being with feelings

Default Synth VST midi track problem

Hi, I have a third world problem here: When I drag a midi file to the track where I have a VST Synth plugin, it will only play one sound from the synth.
Let's say I change the synth sound and press play it goes back to the default one. But the weird part is if I change the sound while it plays it changes. But when I stop it and play it again it goes back to default.
Seems the midi track saves the default sound for some reason and I have yet to find out how to fix this.
I bet there is an easy solution, but I have searched the forum and found nothing like it.
Can anybody please help me? This is afterall a third world problem for me right now ;(
Tommacool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
bigearz

Sounds like there is an embedded program change in your midi file. Take a look at it in list view. It should be easy to spot.
bigearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Tommacool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigearz View Post
Sounds like there is an embedded program change in your midi file. Take a look at it in list view. It should be easy to spot.
I checked in the list view, but I am quite clueless of what to look for. Can anybody help? It's the midi file who takes control over my VST Synth plugin.
I also tried routing, but it still takes control over my VST Plugin.
I tried just to copy paste the notes from the midi files and paste them into a new midi track. Still the same problem! Seems there are some command in the notes
that changes the VST plugin to just chose one tone. Weird.

Last edited by Tommacool; 02-01-2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Refrased question, and noticed something new
Old 02-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
MidiDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommacool View Post
I checked in the list view, but I am quite clueless of what to look for. Can anybody help? It's the midi file who takes control over my VST Synth plugin.
I also tried routing, but it still takes control over my VST Plugin.
I tried just to copy paste the notes from the midi files and paste them into a new midi track. Still the same problem! Seems there are some command in the notes
that changes the VST plugin to just chose one tone. Weird.
Go into the MIDI editor, pick event view, then you can see if there are any program change messages. Often there are Program change commands at the beginning of many MIDI files.

After you get the event view, you can filter the list...just take out all notes...or just pick program change and show only those
MidiDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Tommacool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidiDreamer View Post
Go into the MIDI editor, pick event view, then you can see if there are any program change messages. Often there are Program change commands at the beginning of many MIDI files.

After you get the event view, you can filter the list...just take out all notes...or just pick program change and show only those
Thanks! It worked! And now I have a second problem wich almost made my brain explode: I always get a delay with the midi track i import and my Superior Drummer 2.0 midi track. I can't seem to get them synced. I first make the drum track midi then I import the other midi file (melody). And when I get asked to either synch or not sync the speed of midi when I import it get messed up: either too fast or too slow.
Any suggestions here? It makes no sense
Old 02-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
bradleyfilms

Make sure your project's timebase is set to beats rather than time, and that for items it's set to "beats (position/length/rate).
You'll find these in Project Settings (Alt+Enter)
Steve
Old 02-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
Tommacool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyfilms View Post
Make sure your project's timebase is set to beats rather than time, and that for items it's set to "beats (position/length/rate).
You'll find these in Project Settings (Alt+Enter)
Steve
My main problem here is that the midi file I import has a set BPM. And no matter what I do I cant get my drums vst to synch with it. I am making my own midi track for the drums.
Is there a way to get the midi file to tell reapoer what beats / time / sync to be in?
Basically I need the grid lines to hit excactly to the beat of the midi file. Is there a way of reapoer knowing this?