Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-03-2022, 04:06 PM   #1
James HE
Human being with feelings

Default Last version that will work on Windows 2000?

^

I'm setting up an old HP desktop to use as a oscilloscope on my testbench - and also get some use out of my old Gadgetlabs Wave496 PCI card. (Dual use here will be to capture old tape recordings for archival purposes.)

The GL card only has drivers for Windows 2000 and 98, unfortunately. There are user written drivers for XP / Win 7 but there are some oddities with the 496 for those, and installation can be tricky.

searched through change logs and didn't see where Windows 2000 support was dropped. Maybe someone knows?
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:04 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

I use the newest versions on XP, if that helps. There was a weird thing about older non-Intel CPUs which only actually affected a couple random things, but that got fixed. Have you tried it?
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:47 PM   #3
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Have you tried it?
I was hoping to give it a shot today after getting the os installed - but ran into some issues. From what you say, sounds like REAPER should just work - so that's good news. I'll report back
Old 01-04-2022, 08:41 AM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Not too long ago I tried running win2k in QEMU, and it should _mostly_ work, maybe not all features, I think?

Try here: https://bellard.org/jslinux/vm.html?...1&w=1024&h=768 (http://reaper.fm works in ancient browsers)

Edit: turns out, it works but is incredibly slow, here's a video at 2x speed to make it more bearable:

http://music.1014.org/._/reaper_win2k.mp4

Last edited by Justin; 01-04-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:37 AM   #5
James HE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

So my little project here seemed to be cursed.

I had forgotten the vendor provided Win 2000 drivers for the gadget labs card are a complete hack job themselves - have to disable PNP bios to install and also have to setup the computer as "Standard PC" - ok then.

I did all this, the card and drivers were recognized - but seems like this caused none of the USB ports or peripherals to work. I have a PS2 keyboard around, but no PS2 mouse - ok that's too much of a headache.

I ran NT 4.0 for years with this card and I remember having a decent experience with it. so I install that. Similar story.

This old HP just seems to hate having anything other than XP installed on it. So for now, I guess I'll just be using that - and yeah REAPER works fine, the drivers do work, but...

I would really prefer to have a functioning control panel for the card - so i'll continue to experiment when I get some time.

I'm thinking, I guess because I am a masochist, I'll try setting this up on different hardware and use windows 98. (or maybe NT if I can get a mouse that works with it)

yikes
Old 01-09-2022, 10:43 AM   #6
vitalker

It is possible there are some custom drivers for your card. And it will work even on Win 10. Without practicing you never know.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:59 AM   #7
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
It is possible there are some custom drivers for your card. And it will work even on Win 10. Without practicing you never know.
Yeah I had it working on windows 7 not too long ago- have to disable driver signing - which doesn't seem to harm anything. Those same drivers I believe may work on windows 10. Most of the work done on drivers since GL went out of business are tailored to the 8 24 version of the card. So, the control panel is just - not ideal. Not even sure why I care, cause generally set it up once and forget but... eh just wanna see if I can get it working with the original drivers.

only 512MB ram on this HP box, so yeah xp seems the way to go.

There are some ALSA drivers out there - I will experiment with those as well. I'll have to build them from source and might have to use an older kernel - actually that might be where I end up with this. I'd rather access the features on the card from the terminal than deal with a GUI that doesn't make anysense.