Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-15-2022, 02:49 PM   #1
johnnyb10
Human being with feelings

Default SOLVED: How to switch to track view without using the mouse?

Very often, when recording, I switch back and forth between the track view and other windows, like the FX window for a particular track. When I want to do something in the track view, like either start recording (Ctrl + R) or go to the beginning of the track (Home key), I always have to manually click the track window with my mouse first. Otherwise, Ctrl + R will open up the Replace FX dialog box, or Home won't work because the track view doesn't have the focus.

Is there a keyboard shortcut/action I can use so that I don't have to use the mouse every time first? It would be a lot easier to do it all from the keyboard. I have the SWS extension and saw that there is a "Focus tracks" action, so I assigned a shortcut key to that. Strangely, it seemed to work fine the first time I used it but now it doesn't--I get that annoying Windows chime that indicates you're doing something wrong. So I'm guessing "Focus tracks" doesn't do what I think it does.

Also, I'm not looking to cycle through the different windows--that would be even more of a hassle, as I don't want to keep pressing a key until I finally get to the track view. I just want to add one shortcut that always takes me to the main track/transport view. One person on Reddit suggested that I hit Esc, which does indeed take me back to the main window, but it closes the current window, and I don't want to do that. Thanks.

Edit: I think I figured this out. The SWS "Focus tracks" option seems to do what I want; the problem was that I had the shortcut key set to Normal scope. When I changed the scope to Global, I get exactly the behavior I'm looking for.

Last edited by johnnyb10; 01-15-2022 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Found a solution
johnnyb10 is offline   Reply With Quote