Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-06-2022, 06:23 PM   #1
pprince
Human being with feelings

Default Incorporating free instrumental songs from Youtube into Reaper platform

Hello all,

I hope I am posting in the right forum. I am a new Reaper user. I am trying to incorporate free instrumental songs from YouTube into my singing voice recordings, as a background accompaniment to the vocals.

In addition, I want to experiment with variances in background effects in my voice recordings, for example a hallway chamber effect (I really hope I am clear in my description).

Thank you all in advance for all recommendations.
pprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:18 PM   #2
AudioBabble

Hi,

First things first - when you say free from youtube... do the videos have direct download links in the description, or are you thinking of downloading the audio from youtube?

If you want good quality tracks to sing over, the ideal would be "lossless" audio files from a direct download linnk - either flac or wav format, but at a push minimum 320kbps mp3 are useable.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you're likely to get anything higher than 256kbps mp3 from a youtube audio download or audio "stream" recording.
AudioBabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:40 PM   #3
pprince

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBabble View Post
Hi,

First things first - when you say free from youtube... do the videos have direct download links in the description, or are you thinking of downloading the audio from youtube?

If you want good quality tracks to sing over, the ideal would be "lossless" audio files from a direct download linnk - either flac or wav format, but at a push minimum 320kbps mp3 are useable.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you're likely to get anything higher than 256kbps mp3 from a youtube audio download or audio "stream" recording.
Hello,

I was referring to the audio from youtube only (apologies for the misunderstanding).
Old 01-10-2022, 07:49 AM   #4
AudioBabble

Understood. If you find the quality of the youtube music acceptable, then it's a fairly simple process to do what you have described.

Broadly speaking:
1. you need a means of recording the audio from youtube... either an audio downloader or direct record of your audio stream (which can be done easily in Audacity using the loopback driver)
2. you can then insert that recorded file into a Reaper project..
3. you can either record your vocal onto a 2nd track in reaper or add your pre-recorded vocal.
4. you can use the ReaVerb fx in Reaper to add impulse based reverb to your vocal track (there are lots of free impulse files available online, for example: https://www.voxengo.com/impulses/)

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions, but that's a broad outline.
AudioBabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:59 PM   #5
pprince

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBabble View Post
Understood. If you find the quality of the youtube music acceptable, then it's a fairly simple process to do what you have described.

Broadly speaking:
1. you need a means of recording the audio from youtube... either an audio downloader or direct record of your audio stream (which can be done easily in Audacity using the loopback driver)
2. you can then insert that recorded file into a Reaper project..
3. you can either record your vocal onto a 2nd track in reaper or add your pre-recorded vocal.
4. you can use the ReaVerb fx in Reaper to add impulse based reverb to your vocal track (there are lots of free impulse files available online, for example: https://www.voxengo.com/impulses/)

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions, but that's a broad outline.
Thank you, AudioBabble