Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Spatial Audio

Old 07-23-2020, 05:42 AM   #1
krabbencutter
Human being with feelings

Default using 7.1.2 plugins for ambisonics ?

Hey everyone,

since the Dolby Atmos Production Suite isn't coming to Windows anytime soon, my only option for immersive audio is using ambisonics right now. What really bothers me though, is the fact, that many VST effects & reverbs support Atmos bed tracks, but not ambisonics.

I'm mostly interested in using Reverb plugins and could probably decode FOA to 7.1.2 with RØDE Soundfield. But how would I convert 7.1.2 back to ambisonics?

I know there are commercial decoders available from Harpex, Penteo and BlueRipple. But they're anything but cheap and I'd rather spend that money on Verberate Immersive or one of the Exponential Audio 3D Reverbs once they're on sale.

Cheers
krabbencutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
Kewl

If I understand what you want, I would encode back to B-Format with an encoder/panner like the IEM MultiEncoder. https://plugins.iem.at/download/
Kewl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:15 AM   #3
jm duchenne

Hi,

Unless you need the special effect it will provide, you can easily avoid to pass through the ambisonic encoding/decoding process by using compatible plugins.

Since apparently you don't need to produce Atmos datas but "only" want to use the same spatial arrangement, Reaper's ReaSurround can be set perfectly to 7.1.2 space or whatever you want.
You may also take a look at my "acousmodules" plugins which are all compatible with it :
http://acousmodules.free.fr
There is also commercial products like the GRM-Tools Space series or the more expensive Flux Spat Revolution.

Otherwise, like Kewl has written, the IEM AllRADecoder + MultiEncoder set to 7th order can preserve most of the work that you will do with your multichannel effects ;-)
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:53 PM   #4
paulo m

DearVR Pro latest version has output for multichannel layouts like 7.1.2 etc. and has built in reverbs also, apart from the 3D panner of course.

https://www.dearvr.com/products/dearvr-pro

Paulo M
paulo m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:55 AM   #5
Joystick

If you think about it, when you process ambisonics material through a reverberation algorithm, you don't have any control on how individual sounds from the recording are localized within the virtual space.

I'm brainstorming here and I might miss some critical detail, but hear my though.

Route the first (W) channel of the FOA (B-Format) material, to a reverb that can offer separate facilities for early and late reflections. Use only the late reflections as your material already has both naturally, so you only add the late diffused character of the virtual location and you don't mess with the localization of the real sources you already recorded and have the natural early reflections that help our brain localize them.

It's a balanced choice between keeping localization resolution and blending the virtual acoustic character you want in your compositions.

To further this philosophy, you can add mono sources on that composition by passing them through the IEM RoomEncoder, and then treat the result as it was coming from a recording, passing them through the same pipeline I describe above.

How about that?
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:50 AM   #6
krabbencutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
DearVR Pro latest version has output for multichannel layouts like 7.1.2 etc. and has built in reverbs also, apart from the 3D panner of course.

https://www.dearvr.com/products/dearvr-pro
I was able to snatch DearVR Pro last year for $29, just before Plugin Alliance excluded it from their vouchers
It's a nice tool but it has some limitations:
- while DearVR Pro has an inbuilt reverb, each plugin instance uses its own settings and processing. Even with "Performance mode" enabled in all plugins, the CPU load will quickly become an issue
- DearVR Pro can output up to 13.1 multichannel, but only accepts mono or stereo inputs. Therefore it's not possible to just use a dedicated DearVR Pro instance as a shared Reverb for your session
- if you want binaural rendering & monitoring, you're limited to ambisonics. Fortunately their free ambimicro plugin does that really well and supports up to 3rd order ambisonics

It's a mixed bag imho. You can get some good results mixing higher order ambisonics in the box, but the lack of flexibility and high CPU usage really start to limit the experience once you get past 20+ tracks.
krabbencutter is offline   Reply With Quote