Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-16-2020, 06:38 AM   #1
John Dee
Human being with feelings

Default Imported orchestral midi file volume levels

Hello all,
I am trying to help a composer friend who is fairly computer illiterate, he has given me a midi file of his orchestral composition and I am trying to voice the piece using the Spitfire BBC orchestra discover version. I have loaded the midi file into Reaper, allocated instruments etc. but I do not seem to have any control over their individual output volume. I would appreciate any advice.
John Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:02 AM   #2
Stella645

Have you loaded a separate instance of the plugin for each different instrument and split the midi file to the different tracks?
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:06 AM   #3
John Dee

Hello and thank you for your reply. I loaded his midi file into Reaper and then for each instrument/channel I have a seperate instance of Discovery. I have set the dynamic level in Spitfire Audio to 'full velocity range' In Reaper I linked the track volume/pan to the Midi channel. The first recording I make the levels are fine but after this they go way over the top.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #4
Stella645

So to be clear....are you wanting to use midi volume or just change the audio levels?

Quote:
The first recording I make the levels are fine but after this they go way over the top.
What does this mean? The problem you described is with midi playback so where does recording come into it?
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #5
daniellumertz

hm, for volume normally(as an standard between VSTi) is CC7 and/or CC11. Normally CC11 will come before some effects like reverb and CC7 for all coming out.

You can send these messages using a MIDI controller, in a MIDI item, or using ReacontrolMIDI.

but you can also change the volume in reaper using the faders, automation, vst etc etc
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:38 AM   #6
John Dee

In my ignorance of both Reaper and Midi I thought that because I imported a midi file I would need to link the track volume for each instrument to a midi channel. Apart from that error I set the level of each instance of the Spitfire BBC Orchestra to 100% using the vol. slider. After playing the piece most sliders have moved to the maximum 400% even though the dynamics slider is set to 50%. I have searched the Spitfire site but can see nother related to my problem.