Old 03-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
AdamWathan
Human being with feelings

Default Generic VSTi sample player for Reaper?

What are you guys using to replace the usual bundled sample player that comes with your typical bloated DAW? Like to replace Xpand!, Structure, HALion, or EXS24 or whatever the Logic sampler is called...

Just looking for something where I can load up a bunch of half usable GM drum kits, synth presets, string patches, brass stuff, etc., you know, the generic "not really good enough to use instead of the real thing but works for demoing and noodling around" crap... Mac compatible please!
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
arbogast

Lotsa folks here use shortcircuit. Don't let its price tag scare you (it's free), it's very capable.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
norbury brook

I bought NI complete 6.The price of this and Reaper is comparable to the main DAW players and it gives you an amazing collection of VSTI's/Sampler with a very good library of sounds.

MC
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
vocalnick

A lot of people seem to like Wusikstation, but to be honest I don't like it that much. It never ran that well on my system - glitches and skips all over the place when playing with the sustain pedal down - and I honestly didn't think the included sounds were all that remarkable. A lot of power in there as far as making your own patches, but not all that useful as a "bread & butter" VSTi, in my experience.

YMMV!

A friend of mine used to use Luxonix Purity, which basically emulated a ROMPLER workstation synth in software. No way that I know of to get your own sounds in there, but as a pallete of basic sounds it was pretty cool. I thought it had been abandoned, but the website is showing signs of recent development, so it may be worth a look

Personally, while I do most of my work on a PC with Reaper, I own Logic 8 Express and a Macbook, so I've converted most of the EXS instruments that I liked across to SF2 format, and I play them with the free SFZ plugin. A bit of work to set up, but I've got track templates now for all my oft-used ones, so they're ready to go.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Quasar

And there's NI's Kontakt 4 Player and Factory Selection sound set, where you get something like 50 bread & butter instruments all for free. Worth checking out.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
jamieskeen

I think linux sampler will run on osx, don't know how "complete" it is. Tried it about a year and a half ago.
jamieskeen is offline   Reply With Quote