Old 04-15-2019, 06:25 AM   #1
MaXyM
Human being with feelings

Default Midi CC bars density/quantization

hello all.
I ended up with some inconsistent behavior in piano roll, when editing MIDI CC (pitch, modulation etc).

When CC comes from recording, messages are quite dense.
When CC is drew by hand, bars are not so dense, often quantized to some fraction of bar.

At this point it would be no problem though. I've even seen some settings for hand drawing in Preferences However it's hard to expect that CC messages retrieved from MIDI will be quantized.

The problem starts when I want recorded CC to modify by hand. Then drawing over existing already recorded CC doesn't affect all messages. Only those which match density defined for hand-drawing. It ends up by creating new messages between recorded ones. no need to describe sonic-wise consequences.

On the other hand, and hopefully, wiping out (ALT+mouse) works always on all events, enabling me to clean up recorded CCs with single smear.

At the end it all seems to be not comfortable. Is it any settings or group of settings which makes this workflow more smooth and flexible?
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
When CC is drew by hand, bars are not so dense, often quantized to some fraction of bar.
If you use the mouse modifier for "ignore snap" while drawing (I think by default it is shift), CCs will be drawn at the high density that you can set in Preferences.

Quote:
The problem starts when I want recorded CC to modify by hand. Then drawing over existing already recorded CC doesn't affect all messages. Only those which match density defined for hand-drawing. It ends up by creating new messages between recorded ones. no need to describe sonic-wise consequences.
My guess is that you are drawing CCs in a different channel than the recorded ones. You can select the active channel in the dropdown in the bottom right corner of the MIDI editor, and you can distinguish channels by setting color by channel in the dropdown in the middle.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
Tod

To add to what Julian said, Fo you by chance have "Snap" enabled?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #4
MaXyM

Thank you guys for the help.
Main reason of my problem laid indeed in MIDI channel. I was working having All Channels set. In this mode a drawing applies to channel 1, while my recorded events come from channel 2 being not affected.

Then I learnt that Snapping does not apply while drawing CC over existing events. It's taken into account only when adding new CCs.

with regards
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote