Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-10-2019, 12:41 AM   #1
Stillneon
Human being with feelings

Default Help Please! - Control Surface - Kontakt Multi

Hello everyone

I've been a Reaper wannabe for a few years now (bought v3-4) but just couldn't get it set up to work for me. Currently using Cubase but I decided to try again. However, there's one issue that has me stumped. Perhaps someone can help?

I have a control surface (Korg NanoStudio) set to CC mode. I can map the transport buttons to Reaper, no problem. I can also map a channel strip on the surface to the active track for Vol/Mute/Solo/Rec Arm etc.

BUT: I use Kontakt based instruments the majority of the time and usually multiple instruments within the same instance of Kontakt. I have midi tracks set up to each instrument i.e. each on a different Midi channel. I cannot seem to find a way to control CC#1, CC#11, CC#21 (Dynamics, Expression, Vibrato) in a way that moves from instrument to instrument (within the Kontakt instance) when you change track. Sometimes I can get the top instrument to work (not consistently) but then when I change midi track the control doesn't move.

I've tried ReaControlMidi but not sure that's the solution (the CC messages don't show up in the Log - but are detected when using 'Learn'??)

I'm sure it's a setup thing but it is driving me to distraction.

Any help would be gratefully received as I'm so looking forward to a dongle free existence.

Kind regards

Jonathan
Stillneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:47 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello Stillneon and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
Before we charge off down the wrong path offering irrelevant advice, could you clarify what you wish to do?
-- Are you using Kontakt's Host parameter automation or its MIDI CC automation?
-- How are you changing the MIDI channel for the CC messages?

Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

How to post attachments (in Post #1)
Old 04-10-2019, 06:18 AM   #3
Stillneon

Thank you Darkstar for the welcome and for the links. I have already explored Kenny's excellent videos both on Groove3 and his Reaper Mania channels. A great source of information. I do have the manual and it too is an extremely useful reference.

I write mostly orchestral type music using Kontakt libraries. I have an 88 Key Studiologic mother keyboard which has an action that suits me just fine. It does not however, have a pitch bend or more importantly, a mod wheel controller. Consequently, I have a control surface that I use for expression, dynamics and vib etc.

An example of my issue would be where I load up an instance of Kontakt with 5 String instruments (v1, V2, Violas, Celli & Basses etc.) across midi channels 1 - 5. The Kontakt instance is on a track that hosts 5 sub tracks that output midi on channels 1-5 depending on whether they are pointed at the Violas or Celli etc.

I have the left fader on the control surface set to CC#1 (mod wheel), next one CC#11 (Expression) and the third CC#21 (Vibrato).

The only way I can get any control of these parameters is if the track containing the Kontakt is selected and then it will move the controls on the top instrument. Selecting any of the midi tracks has no effect. It was one of those things that just worked out the box in Cubase but I guess there's something I'm not doing right here.

Basically I'd like to use the left fader on my control surface as a mod wheel as my keyboard doesn't have one and to have this move midi channel as I select a track to record. If I can get this to work then the other controls I guess would be straightforward.

I'll see if I can set up an example but unless you see it not working its tough to explain.

Many thanks
Old 04-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #4
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
-- Are you using Kontakt's Host parameter automation or its MIDI CC automation?
-- How are you changing the MIDI channel for the CC messages?
I have half an idea that the routing is not quite right.

Try this:
(a) right-click in the Track Control Panel (TCP) area below any existing tracks,
(b) select "Insert virtual instrument on new track",
(c) select the VSTi (Kontakt),
(d) click [Yes] on the "Build Routing confirmation" window; that will create tracks for all of the audio outputs from the VSTi,
(e) open the FX window for the VSTi track (click the [fx] button),
(f) select [Options] >> "Build 16 channel of MIDI routing to this track",
(g) disable RecArm on the VSTi track,
(h) if Input Monitoring is Off for the "MIDI" tracks, select them all and turn it on (and turn it on in Preferences >> Track / Send Defaults >> Record config, for future use).
Now you will have 16 tracks sending MIDI (on channels 01 ... 16 respectively) to the VSTi and several tracks for the audio outputs from the VSTi.

Within the VSTi, load your instruments and set the routing for each one - receiving MIDI on a particular MIDI channel AND sending its audio to a particular audio output pair; depending on the VSTi you may need to do some additional configuration work within the VSTi itself (e.g. to create / enable the output channels).

And use the MIDI CC automation to map the CC numbers as needed (CC#01 is automatically mapped to the ModWheel I would think).

Back in Reaper, you can delete or just hide the tracks that you do not need. Name your MIDI tracks for their destination instruments (Violins 1 MIDI etc) and add / record the MIDI. Name the audio tracks too (Violins 2 audio). Colour the tracks as you wish. SAVE them all as a Track Template.

----------------------

Now, Recarm, say, the Violas track, Playing the keyboard should send the MIDI notes to that track and thence Send them to the Kontakt track (the Send switches the MIDI notes onto MIDI channel 03) and then into Kontakt where there trigger the instrument that is listening to [A] 3. The sound will be routed to the Kontakt Mixer channel then out of the plug-in to the Kontakt track and thence Sent to one of the audio tracks.

Here's a pic of the set-up using Kontakt 4 (!):
Big pic >>> https://i.imgur.com/9tK3b4n.png

And the routing from and to the Kontakt track:
Big pic >>> https://i.imgur.com/3jSqLdZ.png

And, finally, attached is a test project that you can explore. Add Kontakt and yur instruments and set up their routing within Kontakt.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Kontakt_5_instr.RPP (9.2 KB, 89 views)
Old 04-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
Stillneon

Many thanks Darkstar. I'll work through your suggestions and take a look at your example. I have a feeling you're right about the routing. I don't think I'm doing anything that hasn't been done before so it'll be something simple I'm missing.

I'll report back.

Regards

Jonathan
Old 04-11-2019, 05:18 AM   #6
Stillneon

Darkstar: It was the routing! Many thanks for your help. A major step forward for me.

I will need to spend more time understanding the Routing Matrix. I think that'll be key going forward.

Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #7
DarkStar

Good oh!

Have a look at Kontakt 4, SampleTank and ...: "starter" signal paths, schematics and templates
Old 04-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
Stillneon

Will do, thanks.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:30 PM   #9
hopi

Nice that DarkStar got you covered.... he is a hero around these parts

just a thought on the routing matrix... while it is certainly good, sometimes it is easier and faster to just clk on IO button for the track that hold Kontakt... and there you should see and be able to change all the sends and receives for it.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:55 PM   #10
Stillneon

Thanks for the tip hopi.