Old 04-13-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
yep
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER crashing on Mac

Running REAPER on a Mac Pro tower 8 core Xeon 32GB ram with Antelope Orion 32 interface

Lately reaper has been repeatedly crashing, over the past several reaper builds. I have done a bunch of searching, and changed a couple of settings in preferences. I set # of threads to 8, which seemed to improve but not solve the problem, and changed a setting recommended by this blog post, which didn't seem to make much difference: https://reaperblog.net/2012/02/reape...rting-plugins/

The problem is recurring, though not necessarily repeatable as far as I have been able to determine. Some projects are definitely more affected than others. Some projects seem to crash at least once per hour, others much more rarely. The problem seems to happen most often when opening an fx chain or adding a plugin, but sometimes it will happen when I'm not doing anything plugin-related.

I have a suspicion that this might possibly be related to something with Izotope's copy-protection, but I am not very confident of that. I say that because the crashing seemed to approximately coincide with updating Izotope Production bundle after auditioning some trial versions, but it's possible this is entirely coincidence. The problem does not seem to specifically related to running Izotope plugins.

The particularly crashy projects do not have any obvious distinguishing characteristics that I can figure out. Maybe 80-100 tracks, lots of busses, 100~150 plugins, around 40% CPU on performance meter and plenty of memory, all of which is very typical of my standard tracking and mixing templates. As far as I can tell, it's basically the same plugins that I use over and over on every project (I am a creature of habit, lol).

Searching seems to turn up a whole lot of rabbit holes, and I have tried to go down a bunch of them, but I haven't found a solution. Hoping someone here has had similar-sounding problems and found a fix!

Thanks in advance for any help
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:16 PM   #2
cfillion

Post the crash report between [code][/code] tags or on some pastebin-like website. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
BenK-msx

Yep! [Tips brim of hat]

I found the izotope update prompt that popped up in backround to be a bit of a problem a while ago on mac, might be worth an investigate.

Sounds a fiddly one tho.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Post the crash report between [code][/code] tags or on some pastebin-like website. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653
Thanks for the tip, doh!

I had to put this on pastebin, because it was way too long for the forum character limit. Anyone know how to read these?

https://pastebin.com/BmB3fifU
Old 04-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
BenK-msx

Could try sending it to devs
Support @ cockos. Com

I hesitate to post full reports publicly as can give a v detailed expose of your system details. Just an fyi
Old 04-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Could try sending it to devs
Support @ cockos. Com

I hesitate to post full reports publicly as can give a v detailed expose of your system details. Just an fyi
Appreciate the heads up

Can you give an example of a specific area of concern? I feel like I looked the thing over twice, and really only saw details related to hardware and software installed (which is basically just DAW stuff and plugins...)

I feel like my worst danger might be that someone will discover I am still on ProTools 10 and have not upgraded my Kazrog plugins since V2 lol (sorry, Shane, I know I need to grab the latest versions of your awesome plugs!)
Old 04-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #7
BenK-msx

Just a personal thing, what computer and hardware u have, folder structure, plugs, filenames etc.

Hardcoreintimateponysoundtrack.rpp

Might be better kept between you and cockos..