Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 03-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #1
Noisy Chairs
Human being with feelings

Default Faderport XT driver not showing up in Control Surfaces.

Oh, hello, I just got the Faderport, and it's working fine with Reaper. But I did notice that some smarties had created a special driver for increased functionality, most of which is the majority of what I'd want the Faderport to do. I've read the entire thread, which is quite long, but I just can't get the new driver to show up in my list of Control Surfaces under Preferences. Anybody have similar problems getting it to work? Did this driver stop working a few Reaper versions ago? I noticed a weird thing with the .ini file that you have to write stuff into in order to customize the buttons on the Faderport. Like, when I went to open it, the computer was asking me what program I want to open it with, and I'm like, uh, I don't know. Anybody solved problems getting the XT driver to work for them that can help?
Noisy Chairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:04 AM   #2
xaverle

Hi,
It is working here without any issues under win7/8/10
I assume you are working with windows and you have followed the steps to install it
Correctly...
If you try to make changes in the ini file you need the editor.
Search for the ini file in explorer, right click and choose properties and make sure that „open with editor“ is checked. If there is any other program listed, change that to editor.
Check also the type,it should be listed as configuration setting (.ini).
Then
Check your installation paths
The csurf_fpxt64.dll has to be in „user“/AppData/Roaming/Reaper/UserPlugins
The reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini has to be in „user“/AppData/Roaming/Reaper

Hope that helps
Alex
xaverle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
Noisy Chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaverle View Post
Hi,
I assume you are working with windows and you have followed the steps to install it
Correctly...
If you try to make changes in the ini file you need the editor.
Search for the ini file in explorer, right click and choose properties and make sure that „open with editor“ is checked. If there is any other program listed, change that to editor.
Check also the type,it should be listed as configuration setting (.ini).
Then
Check your installation paths
The csurf_fpxt64.dll has to be in „user“/AppData/Roaming/Reaper/UserPlugins
The reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini has to be in „user“/AppData/Roaming/Reaper
Thanks for the reply. I am actually using a Mac. But yeah I have checked and checked again that the two files you mentioned are in the proper directories. As far as checking that the ini file is listed as a configuration setting, this would automatically be the case when the file has the.ini extension, correct? I've also read that the ini extension is a Windows only thing, but there isn't another Mac-based config file included.

Now, when you say "install", you just mean put the files in the correct directories, right? I was kinda curious cause I've seen this languaging other places, but there is no exe or dmg file or anything like that that you would normally think of as needing to be "installed".
Old 03-17-2019, 07:11 AM   #4
xaverle

Hi,
sorry for the late reply...

"
Now, when you say "install", you just mean put the files in the correct directories, right?"
...Yes

When connected to your Mac, is the faderport showing up under
Reaper Preferencies; Midi devices?
Old 03-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #5
Noisy Chairs

Quote:
Hi,

When connected to your Mac, is the faderport showing up under
Reaper Preferencies; Midi devices?
It is. I am totally new to this midi/control surface stuff, but it was my understanding that I don't really need the thing enabled under the MIDI Devices tab of Prefs. At least, they're not currently enabled, and the thing works like it's supposed to. That is to say, with the out of the box functionality, but not the XT driver functionality. Everything seems to work right and great except that the XT driver won't show up in the Control Surfaces list no matter what the hell I do.

Greg
Old 03-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #6
xaverle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisy Chairs View Post
It is. I am totally new to this midi/control surface stuff, but it was my understanding that I don't really need the thing enabled under the MIDI Devices tab of Prefs. At least, they're not currently enabled, and the thing works like it's supposed to. That is to say, with the out of the box functionality, but not the XT driver functionality. Everything seems to work right and great except that the XT driver won't show up in the Control Surfaces list no matter what the hell I do.

Greg
Sad to hear that,
maybe one of our Mac experts like to chime in...?

Good luck

Alex

...by the way...have you seen this?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=169782
Old 03-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #7
Noisy Chairs

Quote:

...by the way...have you seen this?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=169782
No, I hadn't seen that yet, but when i read it I flipped! Was noticing on the Windows install instructions they talked about deleting the old library file, but was noticing no corresponding instructions. So I was like hell yes, baby, this is gonna be it. I deleted that file, and now NOTHING WHATSOEVER shows up in my Control Surfaces list. Hahahahahahahaha, kill me please. Even worse, I restored the file and the Control Surfaces pulldown menu still won't pull down and show anything. So now I don't even have a Faderport with the normal functionality. what did I do to deserve this?
Old 03-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
Noisy Chairs

Default Progress! Actual progress!

Hey, I did manage to get the driver to show up in the list after some deleting and restarting and restarting of Reaper! Wheeeeee! Only issue is that now i got this error message:

Control Surface: Error opening MIDI inputs and outputs

Gah . . . . but I'm very excited to have at least gotten somewhere.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #9
xaverle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisy Chairs View Post
Hey, I did manage to get the driver to show up in the list after some deleting and restarting and restarting of Reaper! Wheeeeee! Only issue is that now i got this error message:

Control Surface: Error opening MIDI inputs and outputs

Gah . . . . but I'm very excited to have at least gotten somewhere.
Aah, great
go to preferencies MIDI devices; right click on Faderport and click on
"enable input"
Old 03-17-2019, 02:03 PM   #10
Noisy Chairs

Default I GOT IT!!!!!!!!

Holy shit, I finally got it to work . . . thanks for your help, friend. It took a lot of doing.