Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
future fields
Human being with feelings

Default Seems like suddenly my CPU won't reach max clock speeds in Reaper

The way I noticed was when I was doing some renders on my latest versions of mixes I'm working on.

Typically my cpu can render my projects at 3.1x realtime (i use the same template/set of fx on all projects) but yesterdsy when I was rendering it was only running at 2.1x speed, havent added any plugins to the projects

I pulled up hwmonitor and when rendering my cpu speeds are bouncing from 2.8-3.2ghz. CPU is clocked @ 4ghz and other programs such as games and benchmarks get it up to 4ghz only Reaper suddenly seems affected
future fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #2
ivansc

Be nice if you gave us more detail on your computer, your operating system, your reaper version, etc.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
DVDdoug

Quote:
I pulled up hwmonitor and when rendering my cpu speeds are bouncing from 2.8-3.2ghz. CPU is clocked @ 4ghz and other programs such as games and benchmarks get it up to 4ghz only Reaper suddenly seems affected
I assume that means your CPU is overheating and is slowing-down to protect itself... Maybe a fan has died, or the airflow is blocked, or maybe it's just a hotter day than last time you rendered?

Does HWMonitor show CPU temperature?
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
future fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
I assume that means your CPU is overheating and is slowing-down to protect itself... Maybe a fan has died, or the airflow is blocked, or maybe it's just a hotter day than last time you rendered?

Does HWMonitor show CPU temperature?
Yeah temps are fine

Like I said

Other programs run @ max speed so...
future fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:19 AM   #5
azslow3

Check the file system activity in the monitor. CPU max frequency in case it has something to do and there is no overheating. You have checked the last, so it should be the first. In case your source material (audio files, samples, etc.) is on relatively slow media (I hope there is no problems with the disk, but the effect can be from there), the CPU is waiting and has no reason to max.
If you use HDD, check the fragmentation level (not important for SDD). Or it could be some background activity which keeps the disk busy.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote