Old 01-18-2019, 05:46 AM   #1
Brocodile
Human being with feelings

Default Hum while ReAmping?

Hey guys,
So I tried reamping a dry guitar signal the other day, and it kinda worked first try,
but unfortunately there's a hum in the Signal that I just can't get rid of.
I'm using a TASCAM US 16x08, I am thinking the Problem might be that the Interface only has unbalanced outputs, is that correct?
My current setup is:

Guitar > unbalanced input > reaper > specific hardware output > unbalanced signal into reamp box (Palmer DACCAPO, I'm using a 1/4" jack to xlr adaptor) > amp

Additionaly, I can't seem to mute the dry guitar on the Master Bus, If I do the Amp just won't get any Signal at all.

Any Help is appreciated
Brocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:07 AM   #2
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocodile View Post
Hey guys,

Additionaly, I can't seem to mute the dry guitar on the Master Bus, If I do the Amp just won't get any Signal at all.

Any Help is appreciated
untick the "master send" box in the guitar track's routing options
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #3
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocodile View Post
Guitar > unbalanced input > reaper > specific hardware output > unbalanced signal into reamp box (Palmer DACCAPO, I'm using a 1/4" jack to xlr adaptor) > amp
This may sound illogical but have you tried eliminating the Palmer box from the chain just to see what happens?

When a guitar is plugged in to an amp, it's always done on an unbalanced 1/4" cable unless there's a relatively long distance between guitar and amp.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #4
Brocodile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
This may sound illogical but have you tried eliminating the Palmer box from the chain just to see what happens?
Yes, I tried that and the signal seems to be way too hot and there's a lot more noise, maybe I am missing something?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #5
dug dog

There should be a way to lower the level of the signal coming out of your computer. Can you simply turn the fader down in Reaper? Is there a way to turn down the signal using your Tascam controls- either on the hardware itself or using the Tascam control software?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #6
karbomusic

Did you lift the ground on the Palmer or vice versa? That hum is very likely a ground loop between computer/amp. Fixing that is about the only real reason for a reamp box. For the output volume see the -10/+4 switch for starters.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #7
Brocodile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
There should be a way to lower the level of the signal coming out of your computer. Can you simply turn the fader down in Reaper? Is there a way to turn down the signal using your Tascam controls- either on the hardware itself or using the Tascam control software?
I'll see what I can find and come again later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Did you lift the ground on the Palmer or vice versa? That hum is very likely a ground loop between computer/amp. Fixing that is about the only real reason for a reamp box. For the output volume see the -10/+4 switch for starters.
Yes I tried the Ground lift, it reduces the hum but it is still significant.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #8
karbomusic

Do you know if that box provides full isolation? My radial has a ground lift and an isolated output and IIRC isolated was the only way I was able to remove all hum - it also has a volume control (not selling you on it, it just fits the symptoms you described)...

http://www.radialeng.com/product/x-amp

If aschat drops in he can probably give you the best advice using what you have.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #9
Brocodile

Ok so I just tried goind directly into the amp from the interface, with the volume lowered. Also tried different cables and outputs.
Sounds exactly the same as with reamp box.
I don't know if it has full isolation, unfortunately. How can I find that out?
Old 01-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #10
Brocodile

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
untick the "master send" box in the guitar track's routing options
Unfortunately this does only lowers the Di track on the master bus slightly, maybe the tascam software is at fault.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #11
Brocodile

I have also tried gating the Di track, with no positive results. So it seems the track is clean, the noise is coming from somewhere else.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #12
foxAsteria

I had the same problem when I tried this. From my research it seems the primary solution is to use a DI in reverse. But I guess a reamp box should do basically the same thing.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:31 AM   #13
dug dog

A couple other semi-random suggestions if you're still sitting around scratching your head... Maybe not helpful, in the end, but I like to eliminate certain possibilities when trouble shooting, so...

Have you double checked on the sound of a guitar straight into the amp? Could be an amp problem.

Tried a different power source (electrical wall plug) for the guitar amp? (You'd be looking for a plug that's on a different circuit from the one you're currently using.)

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #14
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If aschat drops in he can probably give you the best advice using what you have.
Aw jeez... These things are tricky and often trial and error and I've never used one of these boxes. Like you said, though, this is the whole reason for the reamp box to being with.

The output on that box is specifically labeled as "Isolated Output", so we have to assume that means on the other side of the transformer, and that should work. Plug it in, if it buzzes, flip the ground lift. If that doesn't help...???

IDK where the OP got the idea that the US16x08 has unbalanced outputs, but it's FALSE. I'd be willing to bet that a proper TRS>XLR cable would fix it. The adapter is not the same thing. If it had a transformer in it maybe, or if you put a DI box in there...but that's just silly!

In general, it always helps to have everything plugged into as close to the same outlet as possible. Computer, interface, and amp all on the same (preferably "conditioned") power strip. You can't trust different wall outlets to even be on the same phase let alone the same circuit, and even if they are, extra wire and questionable connections can add up to real differences in potential. You are actually using all three prongs on the power cables? Not using any of those "cheater" adapter things to connect to 2-prongs at the wall? You're sure that the outlet itself is wired correctly and well-grounded?
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #15
DVDdoug

I think you have to unplug on thing at a time until you find out where the hum is coming from.

...Reamping is going to degrade the signal, including at least some additional hum & hiss. Every active electronics stage (theoretically) degrades the signal, amplification stages do the most damage and you've got a couple of "extra" amplification stages.

If you are lucky all of the additional noise will be insignificant compared to the normal hum picked-up by the guitar but there is a lot of potential for problems with all of these components & connections. ...I'm not a guitar player, but all guitars hum, right? Even humbucker pickups?
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #16
Brocodile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
IDK where the OP got the idea that the US16x08 has unbalanced outputs, but it's FALSE. I'd be willing to bet that a proper TRS>XLR cable would fix it. The adapter is not the same thing. If it had a transformer in it maybe, or if you put a DI box in there...but that's just silly!
Ok since the outputs are balanced, I tried a stereo 1/4" jack cable, the adapter has a stereo jack. And, drumroll... No noise! Thank you so much! I just assumed all 1/4" jacks were unbalanced. Clearly my mistake.

Thank you everyone for your helpful answers!
Old 01-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #17
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
The output on that box is specifically labeled as "Isolated Output", so we have to assume that means on the other side of the transformer, and that should work. Plug it in, if it buzzes, flip the ground lift. If that doesn't help...???
I'm blind today, I specifically thought I looked for that and missed it. To the OP, glad you got it sorted!