Old 01-15-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
zydeceltico
Human being with feelings

Default Map tempo and bpm from raw audio

Hi All -

My father-in0law just sent me an awesome recording of him playing guitar and singing - - but not to a click. His timing is awesome - yet - I want to to sync Superior Drummer to it.

How do I map it?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 01-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
Fergler

I have a process for this that uses the SWS extensions. Here is my custom action which I map to a key:

Make sure the project timebase is set to Time, which you can do it the project settings.

Now listen through the whole song and tap that hotkey at the start of every bar.

For cleaning up mistakes, use this:

SWS/BR: Move closest grid line to mouse cursor (perform until shortcut released)
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
Tod

Humm, that's rather unique Fergler.

I also use SWS actions but do it a little differently. I've got insert markers set up with a hotkey, "M", and while
I play the song, I simply insert a marker at the front of every first beat as I listen to the track(s).

Then when I'm done I go through and visually line up each marker with what appears to be the start of each beat. There's
usually a visual indication where the beat starts.

Then when I'm all done I use an action called "SWS/BR: Convert project markers to tempo markers...". This works very
well for me, although it can take a little practice to get things perfect.

One little tip, I do try to get an idea of the timing of the song and set the BPM so that it's approximately close.
Then I move all the item(s) so that the start of the song ends up on the 3rd measure, which gives me a 2 bar count-in.

I should mention, I've got an external SPMTE sync box that I can tap to get the approximate timing. I've also got a
spreadsheet setup so I can put in the time between bars and it gives me the BPM.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
azslow3

If you have Melodyne (or have never tested it before and so can install the demo for one month), you can extract the tempo. It does not always automatically 100% accurate by itself and so requires manual adjustment (in the "tempo assignment" mode, not "tempo change"), but it does the job quick.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:41 AM   #5
SonicAxiom

here's a rather quick method how you can do it: