Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #41
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
The only thing I might point out, if CLA-2A compressor settings are the same for each of the vocal tracks, then you could
put the CLA-2A in the "Sub Vocal" track FX. That would cut down on CPU, but if each one is a little different then they're
good right where they are.
Yes! All of the vocal tracks have the same CLA-2A settings. So, I did as you suggested.

That leaves the Sub Mast track with nothing on it at all. Everything else but the MASTER track has something on it.

I will try things out and let you know how things work out!
Old 01-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #42
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
That leaves the Sub Mast track with nothing on it at all. Everything else but the MASTER track has something on it.
That's okay and even good, the "Sub Mast" track is basically a Summing Bus, both the "Sub Vocal" and "Sub Inst" tracks are routed to it.

The "Sub Mast" track controls the whole mix and is used to control the volume level that the "Mast FX" track recieves. This works great
for controlling how hard you hit your limiter and other mastering FX.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #43
sjs94704

Default RE: Gain Staging -

Hey, TOD:

I was watching a video from recording revolution and he was talking about recording at lower levels on the meters, BUT, to have a track where the singer can hear themselves nice and loud just for monitoring purposes.

How can I do that with what I have now, or what do I need to do so that I have a track that I can turn up the volume without effecting everything else?
Old 01-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #44
Tod

Quote:
Hey, TOD:

I was watching a video from recording revolution and he was talking about recording at lower levels on the meters, BUT, to have a track where the singer can hear themselves nice and loud just for monitoring purposes.

How can I do that with what I have now, or what do I need to do so that I have a track that I can turn up the volume without effecting everything else?
Yes, I talked about this in one of your other posts.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=14

This is what I said in that post regarding this issue.
Quote:
For example, when I'm recording vocals, I already know my clients need to better hear themselves in the headphones. So I
create a bus I call Sub Vocals and send the vocal tracks to that bus. Not only can I turn that track up using the fader,
but I can put a temporary compressor or limiter on it to give the singer an even better experience while they are singing.
I'll also send that bus to a reverb, which can give the singer even more incentive.
You already have the "Sub Vocals" track so you might already be setup for this, I think you said you've put the CLA-2A compressor
on the Sub Vocal track.

For example, when you're recording your vocal, the vocal track you're recording on is probably registering a low level on the meters.
Don't be afraid to turn the faders on those vocal tracks way up while you're recording so that you can get a better level going to
the Sub Vocal track, just be sure and turn vocal track fader down when you're done recording your vocal. Turning up the fader levels
on the vocal tracks wont change the input level that you're recording at, it just increases the volume going to the Sub Vocal track.

Also if you route the Sub Vocal track to the Reverb track, you'll also be able to hear the reverb while you're singing.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #45
sjs94704

Hey, Tod!

Taking the most recent template you made it is working great! For anyone else, please see the download link to the template I'm talking about in a previous posting.

My friend wrote a song. We recorded both the lead (Vox 1) as well as a harmony track (Vox 2). Now he has recorded a 3rd track which is simply humming and he is asking me to crank up the reverb only for track 3 (Vox 3)

What he is asking for is that on Vox 3 only to crank up the intensity of the reverb more than the other vox tracks and I am uncertain of the proper way to accomplish this.

Please advise.....

With Gratitude,

-Steven
Old 02-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #46
serr

He probably simply wants to hear more reverb on that voc 3. Just turn up the send to your reverb on only the voc 3 track. Keep it simple.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #47
Tod

Quote:
Hey, Tod!

Taking the most recent template you made it is working great! For anyone else, please see the download link to the template I'm talking about in a previous posting.

My friend wrote a song. We recorded both the lead (Vox 1) as well as a harmony track (Vox 2). Now he has recorded a 3rd track which is simply humming and he is asking me to crank up the reverb only for track 3 (Vox 3)

What he is asking for is that on Vox 3 only to crank up the intensity of the reverb more than the other vox tracks and I am uncertain of the proper way to accomplish this.
Hi Steven, Are you still sending the individual vocal tracks to the reverb, or are you just sending the vocal sub bus to the reverb.

In this case you'll want to send the individual vocal tracks to the reverb and as serr says, just increase the vox 3 send a little more.

Did we understand your question correctly?
Old 02-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #48
sjs94704

Currently Vox 1, 2 & 3 are all being sent to Sub Vocal track.

The Sub Vocal Track is being sent to:

1. Sub Master
2. Reverb
3. Delay

So, to me, any adjustment to the Reverb or delay will effect all 3 tracks !!!

So, with this in mind what should I do?
Old 02-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #49
Tod

Quote:
Currently Vox 1, 2 & 3 are all being sent to Sub Vocal track.

The Sub Vocal Track is being sent to:

1. Sub Master
2. Reverb
3. Delay

So, to me, any adjustment to the Reverb or delay will effect all 3 tracks !!!

So, with this in mind what should I do?
Remove the send to the reverb from the Sub Vocal track.

Then create a send to the reverb on each vocal track so you can adjust them individually.