Old 01-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #1
NOSaints79
Human being with feelings

Default Hard Panning Help Needed

Hello,

I have a project which I want to use in a live setting that sends the click source to the drummer, samples to the front of the house, and MIDI to some gear.

I have created a track for the click source and panned it 100% to the left, but I can still hear the click in both the left and right.

Attached is a screen print of the mixer during play back.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

All the best,
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: png Reaper_Mixer_Panning.png (50.6 KB, 205 views)
NOSaints79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
ErBird

Click where it says "Lineout/Headphone 1". If you click the lower-left button, is it set to stereo source?
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:02 AM   #3
NOSaints79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBird View Post
Click where it says "Lineout/Headphone 1". If you click the lower-left button, is it set to stereo source?
Yes, Stereo source > 1/2.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
toleolu

I had the exact same same problem and in my case it turned out to be the software mixer for my interface. The pan settings for my two output channels were centered instead of one being set to the left, and the other being set to the right.

Hope that helps.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
ErBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSaints79 View Post
Yes, Stereo source > 1/2.
OK. What audio device are you using? You may have some sound enhancement software running in the background that could cause this. Try an ASIO driver. If it's built-in sound, try ASIO4ALL.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:42 AM   #6
NOSaints79

Quote:
OK. What audio device are you using? You may have some sound enhancement software running in the background that could cause this. Try an ASIO driver. If it's built-in sound, try ASIO4ALL.
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Currently Reaper is running on my Windows PC with the ASIO4ALL driver (screen print attached). I am listening to the output via the headphone jack.

I have loaded the project onto a Microsoft Surface tablet, also with the ASIO4ALL driver, and I'm experiencing the same issue on it as well, which leads me to believe it is some setting in the Reaper project itself and not the hardware.
Attached Images
File Type: png Reaper_Preferences_Audio_Device_ASIO.png (26.2 KB, 240 views)
Old 01-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #7
solger

Quote:
I have loaded the project onto a Microsoft Surface tablet, also with the ASIO4ALL driver, and I'm experiencing the same issue on it as well, which leads me to believe it is some setting in the Reaper project itself and not the hardware.
Is perhaps something loaded in the View > Monitoring FX chain?
Otherwise, just for testing purposes: does it make any difference when using WASAPI as Audio System (instead of ASIO)?

If the problem persists, can you maybe save a small example project (which has the issue) an attach just the .RPP Project File to a post, so we can have a closer look at the project settings.

Last edited by solger; 01-17-2019 at 11:44 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
NOSaints79

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Is perhaps something loaded in the View > Monitoring FX chain?
Otherwise, for testing purposes: does it make any difference when using WASAPI as Audio System (instead of ASIO)?

If the problem persists, can you maybe save a small example project (which has the issue) an attach just the .RPP Project File to a post, so we can have a closer look at the project settings.

I have nothing in View > Monitoring FX.

Issue persists with WASAPI (Windows 7/8/10/Vista) as Audio System.

Sample project is attached.

EDIT: Yes, I have ensured that the Metronome is disabled. I originally thought that may have been the culprit, but the panning issues affects all the tracks, not just the click. I have attached a second RPP with a second, non click source track for comparison.

Thank you so much for the help!
Attached Files
File Type: rpp TestClickSourcePanning.rpp (2.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: rpp TestClickSourceWithCountInPanning.rpp (4.8 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by NOSaints79; 01-17-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #9
solger

Quote:
I have nothing in View > Monitoring FX.

Issue persists with WASAPI (Windows 7/8/10/Vista) as Audio System.

Sample project is attached.

Thank you so much for the help!
Thanks. I had a quick look at the .RPP file and seems to work fine here.

Something else which came into mind:

Have you already checked the Metronome Settings to rule out that the Metronome itself is perhaps still playing in the background (besides the Audio from the Click Source Track)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjXNMxeJdUQ
Old 01-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #10
ErBird

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Currently Reaper is running on my Windows PC with the ASIO4ALL driver (screen print attached). I am listening to the output via the headphone jack.

Headphone jack into what? I think the problem is in your cable, adapter or speakers. The project works as expected here. The click only come out of the left channel.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #11
NOSaints79

Quote:
Headphone jack into what? I think the problem is in your cable, adapter or speakers. The project works as expected here. The click only come out of the left channel.
Well that is interesting and good to know. Thanks for testing.

I have tried Apple ear buds and Sennheiser HD650s head phones into the headphone jack.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #12
solger

Quote:
EDIT: Yes, I have ensured that the Metronome is disabled. I originally thought that may have been the culprit, but the panning issues affects all the tracks, not just the click. I have attached a second RPP with a second, non click source track for comparison.
Second projects works fine here as well.

So as ErBird already suggested, the issue might probably be related to the (cable/adapter) connection or device you're using for listening.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #13
ErBird

Quote:
Well that is interesting and good to know. Thanks for testing.

I have tried Apple ear buds and Sennheiser HD650s head phones into the headphone jack.
Weird. I'll keep thinking.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #14
solger

Quote:
Very strange.

I'm guessing you already tried this, but is listening to mono sources through these headphones working fine in other audio applications outside of Reaper (like media players, web videos with mono/stereo audio tests, etc.)?

Last edited by solger; 01-17-2019 at 12:14 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #15
NOSaints79

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Very strange.

I'm guessing you already tried this, but is listening to mono sources through these headphones working fine in other audio applications outside of Reaper (like media players, web videos with mono/stereo audio tests, etc.)?
Actually, I hadn't thought of that yet.

I just tried the following site and the issue persists outside Reaper:

https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this issue. I really appreciate your time. If I figure out the reason, I will update this thread.

Last edited by NOSaints79; 01-17-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:27 PM   #16
solger

Quote:
Actually, I hadn't thought of that yet.

I just tried the following site and the issue persists outside Reaper:
OK. Some general Windows audio settings to check:
Old 01-18-2019, 06:44 AM   #17
NOSaints79

Default Sound Blaster Recon3di

It appears my issues are with my Creative Sound Blaster Recon3di in my PC. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any way to configure it to get true stereo in my head phones.

UPDATE: I was able to resolve this issue by using an external audio interface, in this case a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, connected via USB to my PC (as opposed to the headphone jack), and then using the headphone jack in the Focusrite. I had to add the Focusrite as an output in my ASIO4ALL driver and change the output on the Master track to use the Focusrite as well. This essentially bypassed my internal audio interface.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Last edited by NOSaints79; 01-18-2019 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Added resolution
Old 01-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #18
ErBird

Quote:
It appears my issues are with my Creative Sound Blaster Recon3di in my PC. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any way to configure it to get true stereo in my head phones.
That's pretty lame on Creative's part. One of the things I suspected was your sound device has some stereo or 3D enhancement effect running. But how does that explain the MS Surface having the problem as well? Either way you're better off using a dedicated audio interface.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #19
NOSaints79

Quote:
That's pretty lame on Creative's part. One of the things I suspected was your sound device has some stereo or 3D enhancement effect running. But how does that explain the MS Surface having the problem as well? Either way you're better off using a dedicated audio interface.
I agree!

I am suspecting that the Surface has some other configuration issue which is resulting in the same outcome. Working on researching that next.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:12 PM   #20
abichango

Hey guys I'm experimenting the same issue here, however after testing with the left/right test page posted here, I believe my issue is also the intern audio interface on my laptop, I do not have an external interface, so it seems that I'm stuck with the bleeding, but I do have the following question:

If in reaper the tracks are panned correctly, and the master VU shows that indeed the tracks are hard panned, shouldnt this panning be ok (without bleeding) when rendering?
So that when played on a device that does deliver a propper stereo signal I should not have bleeding?

Or the whole audio interface affects the rendering in reaper?
Thanks!
abichango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #21
numberthirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by abichango View Post
Hey guys I'm experimenting the same issue here, however after testing with the left/right test page posted here, I believe my issue is also the intern audio interface on my laptop, I do not have an external interface, so it seems that I'm stuck with the bleeding, but I do have the following question:

If in reaper the tracks are panned correctly, and the master VU shows that indeed the tracks are hard panned, shouldnt this panning be ok (without bleeding) when rendering?
So that when played on a device that does deliver a propper stereo signal I should not have bleeding?

Thanks!
Quick question...

What does the set of things you are working with look like?

Is there an interface in play or are you just wondering out loud if it could be the case?
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #22
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by abichango View Post
Yes.

Quote:
No.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:50 PM   #23
abichango

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
Quick question...

What does the set of things you are working with look like?

Is there an interface in play or are you just wondering out loud if it could be the case?
My stup is a laptop, a Dell studio 1558 with Windows 7 to be more specific, no external interface or anything plugged in to the laptop, just Reaper running.
abichango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #24
numberthirty

Ok.

Quick question...

If you just import a preexisting track into Reaper, can you get that to pan to one side or the other?
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote