Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
explodingPSYCH
Human being with feelings

Default Trim Contents Behind Media Items not working?

I occasionally end up with a mess of media items near crossfade points, or when trying to drag a media item over another to replace a section of material.

Can anyone give me some guidance about how to set Reapers behavior to properly create crossfades and trim an old media item behind a new media item dragged on top of it?

I'm hoping to have any media item that is dragged over the top of another media item split the item at the new crossfade points it creates. Like recording over the top.

I currently have "trim contents behind media items when editing" selected, as I thought this is what would make this happen, but it doesn't always seem to work (as illustrated).

I often end up with confusing crossfades and overlapps that I can't seem to select or deselect properly!

Weird Crossfade:

Unable to select properly:

Last edited by explodingPSYCH; 09-07-2019 at 11:24 AM.
explodingPSYCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #2
explodingPSYCH

Anybody have any tips/tricks on how to avoid slop like this? It happens a lot at the end of sections I'm recording (time select autopunch helps, but isn't a silver bullet) and of course when I drop media items on top of each other.

Am I just missing some settings about trimming contents behind media? I would expect media to split behind new media items dragged on top, but that's not happening.

Selection is very strange here as well. Any settings I should look into there?
Old 10-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
Goldreap

Have you tried Project Settings/ Advanced/ Item mix behaviour/ 'Items always replace earlier items'?
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
explodingPSYCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
Have you tried Project Settings/ Advanced/ Item mix behaviour/ 'Items always replace earlier items'?
I just tried that, but it removed all my crossfades.

Here's another example of what's going on. If you record over part of a crossfade, it seems to create a new clip that can't be selected on it's own without having to move all the other clips away from it. It also creates multiple crossfades on top of each other. Very confusing:

Old 11-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
explodingPSYCH

Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Am I not understanding what "trim contents behind media items" is suppose to do? Is there a way to get the behavior I'm after? (When an item is dropped on another item, it splits/crossfades and replaces that section of the original item)

Would any of my previous examples be considered bugs to report?
Old 08-19-2020, 07:46 PM   #6
explodingPSYCH

BUMP! Can anybody figure out what I'm doing wrong, or is there something I should be requesting in terms of feature/bug fix?