Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 08-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #321
Nandhu Kartha
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

Encoding was still black. I presume that's a different issue or there's something fishy somewhere.

Seeking speed, when compared to Protools is usually low, especially for MJPEGA and PhotoJPEG. This is where Protools must be looked at to really appreciate the difference, though the difference seems to vary with the amount of data (bitrate). This may be why Reaper or FFMPEG has such a hard time seeking more intelligently or faster.
Bro,I couldn't find a problem with seeking. May be I'm not that expert in examining it. I'm just able to score music for video smoothly-almost all formats I am usually provided with(nothing like HD). Don't exactly remember the video seeking of Pro tools. Could recollect that the video engine was QT. There was 100s of other problems with my Le stuff to interrupt the basic music productions and I ended up in selling my 002R and invested in a good music player for my car !!!! I should admit fact their support was outstanding in India.

back...

When rendering to QT/MOV/MP4 I could get only MP4 as output and H264 codec as the only option. Is it like that?

It seems there are a lot of mysteries spreading out about video support.I humbly request Cockos to make a sticky on video support in Reaper - preferably not this one. A new one just to make a clear video support policy. Like - how we can make video smoother,better in Reaper; which all formats work better; what all should be the resolutions,bit rate;links to codecs and the like ...I think there are a lot of threads here and there. Somebody can just put a small effort to make users relaxed in this area also.

Thank you

Reaper is heaven and this community is love.
Nandhu Kartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #322
airon

I certainly intend to update the video playback and export thread as soon as the video improvements are put in to a regular release.

For comparison to Protools (LE and HD), except for H264 Quicktime files with high keyframe intervalls, I NEVER get a frozen frame when seeking in the video in Protools, be it with the edit cursor making a selection, moving an item or fader around or scrubbing at 1xspeed. I get some of that in Reaper so far, and I'm pretty happy to have that. Locating frames is much, much slower though. The surprise to me is that the Windows Quicktime player actually performs better than Reaper as well with non-GOP codecs(MJPEGA and PhotoJPEG). This is especially evident when continously seeking, through edit/time selection in an empty area in Reaper or Protools for example or just in the seek bar in the Quicktime player.

A 20 minute Quicktime for example, Photojpeg codec, 512x288. Zoomed out to see it all. I can seek like a madman across the entire file and get a lot of frames delivered in the video window,in Protools. Reaper will freeze-frame a lot and I'll need to slow down. Zooming in past a certain point, Reaper gets faster but if I go over a certain speed of seeking, it'll freeze-frame again until I slow down enough. This only happens with heavy duty H264 Quicktimes in Protools, as I've said.

I do wonder if Reaper could use the Quicktime libraries directly, and whether a license for that is necessary or if an SDK is available without cost to do that.

Quicktime still is, and probably will be for a long time, the standard delivery and working format in sound-to-picture projects. This might be a good thing to consider, because if this low performance is the result of how FFMPEG works or how fast it is, Quicktime may ultimately become a necessity, just like Elastic Audio was necessary to get very good results, as opposed to decent results.

Last edited by airon; 08-21-2011 at 05:44 PM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #323
Nandhu Kartha

Quote:
I certainly intend to update the video playback and export thread as soon as the video improvements are put in to a regular release.
I second...

Quote:
A 20 minute Quicktime for example, Photojpeg codec, 512x288. Zoomed out to see it all. I can seek like a madman across the entire file and get a lot of frames delivered in the video window,in Protools. Reaper will freeze-frame a lot and I'll need to slow down. Zooming in past a certain point, Reaper gets faster but if I go over a certain speed of seeking, it'll freeze-frame again until I slow down enough. This only happens with heavy duty H264 Quicktimes in Protools, as I've said.
Now I got you.This is true.I often deal with 17 to 22 minutes MOVs.Tested and this happens here too.

Quote:
Quicktime still is, and probably will be for a long time, the standard delivery and working format in sound-to-picture projects. This might be a good thing to consider, because if this low performance is the result of how FFMPEG works or how fast it is, Quicktime may ultimately become a necessity, just like Elastic Audio was necessary to get very good results, as opposed to decent results.
Right.At any chance I prefer a native Reaper video engine with a professional attitude, which supports all professionally used video formats: if possible, with out any additional codecs to be installed.

Airon, much much appreciated. You will be a winner...
Nandhu Kartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #324
EricM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
I've put the library in the /UserPlugins folder as per instructions,
and it seems the files get decoded with the installed version (52.66.0),
but I still have only AVI & MKV formats available with FFV1 & Huffyuv
codes that are supposed to ship with Reaper already, while I have all
others (mpg1, 2, qt/mov/mp4, wmv & flv) available in Win version.

Is that the limitation of the OSX codecs or is Reaper not recognizing
other codecs available within the library?

e
Bump. Anyone got it working on OSX?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #325
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
I've successfully tried it with the latest builds from:
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ - Zeranoe builds
http://win32.libav.org/ - LibAV builds
Which version to use from libvav? "win32-pthreads" or "win32"?
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:58 AM   #326
Dstruct

When using Libav, REAPER still says "Using FFmpeg DLL decoder" instead of "Using Libav DLL decoder".

Same in the Rendering dialog. Should read "Libav" instead of "FFmpeg" ...
Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #327
Christophe
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
When using Libav, REAPER still says "Using FFmpeg DLL decoder" instead of "Using Libav DLL decoder".

Same in the Rendering dialog. Should read "Libav" instead of "FFmpeg" ...
Not possible currently until the Libav API exposes somewhere that it is Libav instead of FFmpeg, which I haven't found in their API. They might add it eventually tho.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #328
BenK-msx

I am appreciating the video tweaks for sure here, definate improvements.

Q: what would be the chances of getting rudimentary video capture/record into reaper?

it would be so convenient for a number of things live or studio based (i can give examples to any doubters!) - to capture from 'usb device' for example, and have video and project audio in sync from the start.

seems to me that playback/seeking/encoding and the rendering stuff is harder than capturing, since little utilities can manage -

so just asking hopefully whilst the main man is lurking.

thanks again.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:52 PM   #329
Dstruct

Quote:
Not possible currently until the Libav API exposes somewhere that it is Libav instead of FFmpeg, which I haven't found in their API. They might add it eventually tho.
Ok. And what's the thing with "win32-pthreads" vs "win32" builds?
Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #330
Christophe
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Ok. And what's the thing with "win32-pthreads" vs "win32" builds?
Not 100% sure. Apparently, Libav provides 2 different builds using different threading APIs (win32 and pthread). Not all of their encoding/decoding codecs support it.

From what I've read, H264 encoding/decoding should be multithreaded but I haven't really seen it in my tests.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #331
Dstruct

Are both builds multithreaded?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #332
EricM

@Christophe
I've downloaded the latest OSX build from http://aegiscorp.free.fr/ffmpeg/ as
per instructions, and put it in ~user/Library/Application Support/REAPER/UserPlugins
which did not update the library.

For troubleshooting purposes I've also replaced the new FFmpeg.dylib (33mb)
with the existing ~900kb FFmpeg.dylib within' the REAPER package, which effectively
removed all video options from REAPER render menus. So I guess the builds from
this site are incompatible with OSX version of REAPER?

Any help making it work on OSX would be greatly appreciated, if officially it
should work.

Thanks,
e
Old 08-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #333
Nandhu Kartha

Default Video stretch

Would like to invite your attention in this area too. http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...94&postcount=1

The reason behind this post was http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=86557
Old 08-30-2011, 03:07 AM   #334
Dstruct

Quote:
I've made progress in making our FFmpeg implementation support both old and new FFmpeg versions. Here are some new versions to test with (Windows only for now):

REAPER Windows x32:
http://user.cockos.com/~christophe/f...eo_win_x32.zip

REAPER Windows x64:
http://user.cockos.com/~christophe/f...eo_win_x64.zip

Unpack the zip in your Program Files\REAPER\plugins folder and overwrite the old "reaper_video.dll".

I've successfully tried it with the latest builds from:
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ - Zeranoe builds
http://win32.libav.org/ - LibAV builds

Note: You want to download the "Shared" versions and unpack the DLL files found in the "bin" folder into your Program Files\REAPER folder.

If all goes well, you should see "Using FFmpeg DLL decoder v53.xx.xx" in the source properties window.

Let me know how it goes.

-Christophe
Will it come with REAPER 4.03?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:20 AM   #335
airon

I hope so.

With every new version I install I have to overwrite the video dll with Christophe's new one to get video playback to work well.

I hope they manage to hook in to Quicktime playback for the OSX crowd.

Christophe, how is video playback working out on OSX ? Is a 64-bit library hookup even available for Quicktime playback through system libraries ?

Spill some beans . We love stories. What's hard, what's cool and can we help you in any way we haven't so far ?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #336
Christophe
Immortal

Yeah, working on getting the new version to work on OSX, then it will be in an official release.

Also, we got some ideas to hook up the Quicktime stuff on OSX 64 bits, I'll keep you posted
Old 09-07-2011, 04:56 AM   #337
airon

Go Cockos.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #338
EricM

Quote:
Yeah, working on getting the new version to work on OSX, then it will be in an official release.
Thanks for the info. Airon summed it up - go Cockos!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #339
BlackBart

Quote:

Also, we got some ideas to hook up the Quicktime stuff on OSX 64 bits, I'll keep you posted
Any word on ProRes support for Reaper X64?

thanks,
BB
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #340
Subz

the new reaper_video.dll dose not fix my playback problems with a WMV video i have but copying reaper_video.dll from R3 to R4 makes video the same as it was in V3

i will upload & post a link to the wmv file that is playing fine in R3 @ 5% CPU but in R4 its playing not so well (long pauses) & its using about 30% CPU

135MB Rar File http://www.mediafire.com/?52kg2t7d6qau3

Subz

Last edited by Subz; 09-07-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #341
Subz

This WMV file plays fine in Reaper 3 using 5% cpu but the same file dose not play correctly in Reaper 4 & uses 30% CPU

http://www.mediafire.com/?52kg2t7d6qau3

Win 7 X32

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #342
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
Any word on ProRes support for Reaper X64?

thanks,
BB
That's a Quicktime codec. You'd have to use Quicktime(OS decoding) for that to work, and the codec needs to be installed for Quicktime.

The downside for X64 is this : There's no 64-bit support in Quicktime on Windows yet. None.

So if FFMPEG can't play it, forget ProRes on Windows X64 with a 64-bit DAW.

Convert the sucker to PhotoJPEG(progressive) or MJPEGA(interlaced and fps at 30 or below).
Old 09-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #343
BlackBart

[QUOTE=airon;808234]The downside for X64 is this : There's no 64-bit support in Quicktime on Windows yet. None.
QUOTE]

Ahhh...that explains it!
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:37 AM   #344
Dstruct

Christophe,

can you make anamorphic videos look properly with the right Display Aspect Ratio rather then the Storage Aspect Ratio?

Some other remaining bugs:

Video file reading isn't shown in Disk Performance Monitor: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2065

5.1 Audio mixed down to Mono gives garbled output: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2443

Video window not following large window frames preference: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3446
Old 09-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #345
airon

"Resize video window to original video size" has never worked AFAIK, and still doesn't.

Instead I suggest: 1/2 size, Normal size, Fullscreen.

And once you guys are capable of addressing dedicated video output cards, like those from Blackmagic because a lot of people use those,
"Output video to <video output name>"

And video delay in milliseconds for playback only, both positive and negative. No, da shit ain't in sync. It almost never is with LCDs.

Last edited by airon; 09-13-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:42 AM   #346
Dstruct

Quote:
"Resize video window to original video size" has never worked AFAIK, and still doesn't.
I think it worked at some point. But you're right, it doesn't work in 4.03pre7a!

Edit: It does work. It only works when switching between different videos ...

New bug: Going fullscreen with the video window doesn't hide the topmost pin. I think it shouldn't be shown in the fullscreen window! http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3592 FIXED (4.10rc3)

Last edited by Dstruct; 09-25-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:19 AM   #347
mirceablue

Default Video renderin sync problems

Can anybody help me with video rendering. I have a dv clip synced with audio recorded separately, it plays ok in reaper but when I export it as any format mpeg, avi etc. the audio is out of sync and the video looks like is on fast speed( Charlie Chaplin movie style).
I have the latest Zeranoe FFMPEG codecs I've tried with Aegiscorp build too but no luck .
I'm on win7 64 bit I've tried with a portable installation version of reaper 32 bit but it behaves the same way.

Any suggestions ?!
mirceablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #348
Dstruct

REAPER 4.151 + newer Libav 32bit http://win32.libav.org/win32/libav-win32-20120127.7z doesn't work anymore!

Maybe due to

Quote:
Jan 27 2012

Major versions of the libavformat and libavcodec libraries have been bumped, thus breaking ABI and API compatibility with the recent 0.8 release. As usual, the ABI should be considered unstable until further notice (a few weeks at most).

This step allows us to remove a large amount of obsolete code (over 3000 lines). Users who still did not update to the latest API must do so now to be able to use this new major version. The bump also allows us to enable protocol private options in libavformat and fix some outstanding problems with options passing in the libx264 wrapper.

Furthermore, the legacy ffmpeg conversion tool has been removed. Only avconv is available now. Shared builds of Libav now also disable the avserver tool. avserver can only be linked with Libav statically because it uses internal library symbols (volunteers to fix this are very welcome).

Latest working version is http://win32.libav.org/win32/libav-win32-20120126.7z

Some Libav news:

Quote:
Feb 28 2012

The tree is hereby declared stable again. There will be no more API or ABI compatibility breaks until the next major bump.
http://www.libav.org

FIXED (4.26)

Last edited by Dstruct; 08-18-2012 at 12:24 AM.