Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 03-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
krewfew
Human being with feelings

Default my situation with DuX's XP Optimization for Audio

Fabian,

yes it the highest it will go with when i have nothing opened is 7% it will go back and forth between 0% and 7%. and this is based from task manager.

I have a presonus audiobox. it hooks up usb and i believe it is 1.1 usb. at first the driver just noticed this device as audio box and it worked but i installed the latest driver for it from presonus' site. i havent been able to mess with the setting b/c i havent installed my DAW software yet.

this is what i got from 3DP chip:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz
Motherboard: [8143WVS] Intel 915G/P/GV/GL/PL/ 910GE/GL
Video Card: ATi Radeon X300/550/1050
Multimedia: ADI SoundMAX AC97 Audio
Ethernet Card: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5705_2
ETC: Unknon Device

its an IBM, ThinkCentre
mt-m 8143-WVS
s/n: LKRYL2B

there is no fire wire on it
krewfew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Fabian

So you are getting clicks and pops when playing with WMP and/or foobar2000. Is that it? And this is when playing through your presonus audiobox?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
krewfew

yes, the clicks come when i play an mp3. sometimes even if there is not an mp3 playing i will hear a pop or click. this normally happens a little after i press stop or the song is over.

one thing i have noticed when using either foobar or wmp, is that when im playing back audio in wmp and have task manager open i see the green line is moving more often instead of having constant straight lines its a crooked line.

just installed my DAW. noticing more pops and clicks when my resolution is higher. what do you normally use?

Last edited by krewfew; 03-08-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #4
Fabian

For screen resolution, I use the max my screens can take. Have you updated the graphics card driver? If not, do that... your system may be using the stock driver that came with the XP install..

You could try to disable your on-board audio card, in the BIOS if possible. If that gets rid of the clicks, you're done.

Else, try rolling back the old audiobox driver. It could be a bad driver issue. Yes... it happens all too often that newer drivers are worse than old drivers... Just uninstall the new driver, maybe using DriverSweeper to clean out all residue, and then re-install the old driver.

EDIT:
One other thing... make sure you are using the ASIO driver for your audiobox. MediaPlayer does not do that, I think, but you can set foobar2000 to use ASIO.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
krewfew

would the radeon driver be different than the graphics? because i updated the radeon in order to use two monitors.

im not sure if ibm setup utility is the same as BIOS. but during startup there are two options F1 goes to setup (Ibm setup utility) and F12 which is the order my computer will boot devices. so inside ibm setup utility i went to devices and saw audio set up i just disabled it.

i set up asio in foobar, im seeing my asio control panel for my audiobox. would it make more since to use asio4all?

and i dont understand why 3dp chip wont let me download drivers with it.

i still hear pops but it sounds like they have gone down a lot.

Last edited by krewfew; 03-09-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krewfew View Post
would the radeon driver be different than the graphics?
I'm not sure I understand your question... the driver for the graphics card is different from the driver for your monitor. Look into Device Manager, there you'll see both an entry for "Display adapters" and an entry for "Monitors". If it says something like "generic PnP" or similar, that is the stock Microsoft supported driver and it may not work as well as the specific driver.

An ordinary XP installation comes with hundreds of specific drivers to increase the chance that a device specific driver can be loaded on installation, and if none can be found, the generic driver is loaded. DuX has stripped out most of those (maybe all of them) from his optimized XP install, so you need to find the device specific drivers elsewhere, if the generic ones won't do.

Go to the ThinkCentre webpage and see if you can find a driver package for your system. This might cure your problems...

EDIT: This: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-58603.html right?

Last edited by Fabian; 03-09-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
krewfew

yes that is exactly what it looks like but that third input on the right next to the two usb inputs isn't there. i believe it to be fire wire. mine just has a box outline that can come out for installing one.

display adaptors says Radeon....series, and Radeon....series secondary

monitor says plug and play monitor twice

and im not seeing any graphic drivers or driver packages. just various drivers. which ones would you think i should try?

Last edited by krewfew; 03-09-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
Fabian

Quote:
and im not seeing any graphic drivers or driver packages. just various drivers. which ones would you think i should try?
On the Lenovo page, click the link "Downloads and drivers", and then grab all the drivers for your specific model. I have no idea exactly which drivers you need, you have to figure that out for yourself. As I told you, DuX' optimized XP needs tinkering, and that requires some computer knowledge...

I would start with BIOS and then chipset and then video.

Another thing, you don't have a problem with the power supply. I see they recalled some of those. I know a bad power supply can cause problems with clicks, cracks and pops...
Old 03-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #9
krewfew

are you saying my power supply is okay or that i should figure out whether or not it is?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #10
Fabian

Quote:
are you saying my power supply is okay or that i should figure out whether or not it is?
Yes, that was supposed to be a question, sorry... I don't really know how do it, but try to check if your power supply is ok. Bad PSU can cause pops and clicks. This is just a far-fetched idea that came up when I looked at the Lenovo page and saw that they had recalled some PSUs.

You probably should try the updating the drivers first.

Another thing, that is even easier to try... install ASIO4ALL (http://www.asio4all.com/) and see if that works better or worse. Start there, let us know how it works...
Old 03-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
krewfew

i would say that the asio4all is worse in my DAW than the asio for the audiobox. its more of a constant crackle when i listen to anything thru asio4all.

im not sure if i installed the chipset or the bios correctly. i read the instructions and followed them.

through foobar and my DAWS the pops and clicks are still noticeable

Last edited by krewfew; 03-10-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
Fabian

Quote:
i would say that the asio4all is worse in my DAW than the asio for the audiobox. its more of a constant crackle when i listen to anything thru asio4all.

im not sure if i installed the chipset or the bios correctly. i read the instructions and followed them.

through foobar and my DAWS the pops and clicks are still noticeable
OK, so now we know that it is not the ASIO driver that is the problem (since ASIO4ALL is even worse, as it should be).

Have you checked that foobar uses your ASIO?
Have you disabled your on-board audio card?

Then it's time to check for DPC latency. DL this http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml, run it and see what you get. Let it run first with nothing else running, then run it with Reaper running, see what you get. Do you get red bars correlating to the clicks?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
krewfew

yes my asio device is enabled in foobar, for the on-board audio card im not sure... i pressed F1 on startup and it brought me to IBM setup utility (im thinking this is the equivalent to BIOS) and i went to devices and i desabled audio. but i didnt see "on-board audio" anywhere.

in DPC the pops dont correlate with the bars, all the bars are green.
the highest the green bars will go is in between 500ps and 1000ps

Last edited by krewfew; 03-10-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
Fabian

OK, lets try the opposite... remove your audiobox, re-enable your built-in/on-board audio card (the SoundMax), see if it works better. Let foobar play through it, if you don't get any clicks then, we can assume the problem is with the audiobox.

If you get clicks also now, at least we know that the problem is not with the audiobox.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
krewfew

there were no pops and i figured this b/c i never had the pop problem before using the audiobox. but does this necessarily mean something is wrong with my audio box?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:29 AM   #16
Fabian

OK, so you got no clicks using the on-board audio card... Then the problem most likely is with your audiobox. Have you updated its driver?
http://support.presonus.com/entries/...n-t-initialize
Old 03-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #17
krewfew

yea i have installed this driver. i uninstalled it then reinstalled it anyways but im still getting pops and clicks sometimes.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:15 AM   #18
Fabian

Quote:
yea i have installed this driver. i uninstalled it then reinstalled it anyways but im still getting pops and clicks sometimes.
What ASIO buffer size are you using?
Does it get better if you increase it?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #19
krewfew

output latency - 815 samples / 18.48 ms
input latency - 172 samples / 3.90 ms
device block size - 128 samples
internal block size - 128 samples
process precision - single (32 Bit)
sample rate - 44.1 kHz
bit depth - 32