Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-07-2009, 06:24 AM   #41
Cableaddict
Human being with feelings

caleb82,

Kudos for doing such a test! It would have been better to use several instances of the plugin, and then replicate with several DIFFERENT plugins, but then this is really just verifying what one would expect, anyway.

Shocking to see the percentage difference. That's higher than I expected.

Now here's a thought:

What if you are running 30-40 32-bit plugins? Does the total cpu usage go up by that same percentage? You imply this, but we don't know this. Perhaps there is a chunck of cpu-power allocated for the "bridging" mechnism itself, and then all additional plugins give a very low additional hit. I doubt it, but it's possible.

One has to be very careful as to what conclusions are drawn from minimal data.
--------

What I'm dying to see is a similar test but of XP32 vs Win7-64.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #42
caleb82

Yup, and thanks for the reply.

I thought of exactly that point myself, and if noone else does it before me, I'm going to do just that. Maybe tomorrow, maybe it'll take one or two days, have to wait and see if time works for or against me.
caleb82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #43
musicbynumbers

just about to try windows 7 64 bit and was wondering...

... if you run reaper 32bit in win7 64 with over 4 gig of ram, is reaper allowed to use the same amount it can with the 3 gig switch being that it is "LMA aware"?

I know it is limited still but is it limited to 2 gig or about 2.7 / 3.2?

thanks
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:59 AM   #44
SiKo

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
just about to try windows 7 64 bit and was wondering...

... if you run reaper 32bit in win7 64 with over 4 gig of ram, is reaper allowed to use the same amount it can with the 3 gig switch being that it is "LMA aware"?

I know it is limited still but is it limited to 2 gig or about 2.7 / 3.2?

thanks
found this:
Quote:
Each 32-bit program is assigned a 4 GB virtual
memory address space in the WOW64 subsystem - with no requirement for the OS
which is still running in the 8 TB of virtual memory address space it gets.
So, if your 32-bit program is written to take advantage of >2GB of memory
(using the LARGEMEMORYADDRESSAWARE compiler switch), it will automatically
see a full 4GB.
here: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...ion/933856.htm
Old 11-09-2009, 03:55 AM   #45
musicbynumbers

Happy dance!

Thanks for that! If that works then thats good enough for me as i can use 32bit reaper and my 32bit plugs and squeeze out 4 gig. I hope this is the case? Anyone actually tried it though?
Old 11-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #46
JRyan

Thanks much! I was a little confused before this thread, but now I have a great mp3.
JRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #47
Fabian

Default Some 32-bit VSTs show up with "(x86)" added...

OK, so I got a new laptop running Windows 7 x64, and of course Reaper x64. Works GREAT so far, can run with 64 samples asio buffer more than 30 tracks no problem! And with no W7-tweaks, just wait till I get around to tweaking

But... it turns out, now that I load my old projects, that some of the 32-bit VSTs get named with an additional "(x86)", that wasn't there when running on 32-bit XP. Thus, Reaper cannot find those plugins!

I say "some" but what I mean (at the moment) is "one", and this Glaceverb from DaSample (http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1566.html). In the project file which came from Reaper x86 on XP, it is named GlaceVerb (DaSample), while Reaper x64 lists it as GlaceVerb (x86)(DaSample). Obviously, this means that Reaper x64 claims not to be able to find the plugin, and I'm not sure how to replace the plugin while keeping the settings...

EDIT: I take that back, I really do mean most 32-bit plugins. So the question really is, if I have a project that came from a 32-bit environment, how can I get Reaper x64 to load that properly with the correct VSTs in the correct place? It does not happen as it is now.

Last edited by Fabian; 11-23-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #48
Fabian

I solved the problem with GlaceVerb by renaming it (from the FX browser) from GlaceVerb (x86) (DaSample) to GlaceVerb (DaSample), and then reopened the project. And that seems to work, but, hey... a lot of work renaming all those VSTs.... not good...
Old 11-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #49
musicbynumbers

Maybe it's worth installing the 32 bit reaper as well plus 32bit plugs running on 64 bit windows 7 as it will give you access to 4 gig of ram still and the 64 bit version only adds more ram access nothing more
Old 11-25-2009, 02:39 AM   #50
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepipeline View Post
On the question of using plugins in Reaper X64, I'm suprised that no-one has yet mentioned that ReaperX64 also supports JS plugin scripting language, so all the JS plugins will work.
Maybe all that ships with Reaper, but I am having problems with multifreaq http://ufo-scientific.com/js_multifreaq. Looks to me as a gfx problem. Also, see here http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=46899
Old 11-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #51
Fabian

Default mp3 conversion not working correctly, Win 7 x64

There is something not right with Reaper and mp3-encoding on Win 7 x64. See this posting http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...62&postcount=5

(PS Am I the only one interested in x64 issues nowadays? )
Old 12-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #52
Sidney

Hi,

The lame encoder attached to the original post makes my Reaper crash (Win7 64bit).

I used the one posted here which works perfectly on my system.
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #53
jonmatifa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
Hi,

The lame encoder attached to the original post makes my Reaper crash (Win7 64bit).

I used the one posted here which works perfectly on my system.
Ahh thats awesome, thanks for finding that, I'll add the link to the top post.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #54
sfb

Great thread. I've been upgrading to x64 and this was inordinately helpful!

Perhaps you might mention the current limitation of importing Quicktime video and the need for ffdshow x64:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=48594

Currently if you try to import a Quicktime file, you get an error message.

Thanks!

- sfb
sfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #55
Heartfelt

Am I correct that with a 64 bit system, I can run 4 bit drivers for hardware and Reaper X32 and make use of all my 32 bit plugs... operating in a sort of a half-legacy mode?

www.RobertSmithMusic.com
Heartfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:59 AM   #56
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
Am I correct that with a 64 bit system, I can run 4 bit drivers for hardware and Reaper X32 and make use of all my 32 bit plugs... operating in a sort of a half-legacy mode?
Yes. Whether you run 32-bit or 64-bit Reaper, you can use 32-bit plugs, since Reaper x64 contains its own bridge.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:56 AM   #57
Dream Of Sleeping

I think i've just made a big mistake in which computer to buy. I've been doing music for a while now but i still don't know a great deal about computers. So i thought all i want is for a computer to be quite powerful and super quiet. Also i thought i would get one with windows xp as then i can still use my cubase sx 2 without any problem and my sound card will still be compatible. I'm now going to be using reaper but i still wanted cubase sx 2 just in case.

but now i'm reading all this about 64 bit and i'm going to be stuck in a 32 bit world.

here is the computer i've just purchased http://www.inta-audio.com/music-pc-s...4s-music-pc-p4

the motherboard only supports 4 gigs of ram so i will never be able to run 64 bit? or it would be pointless to run 64 bit if i'm reading all this right.

My question really is this. How long do you suspect that Reaper will continue to be released in 32 bit versions? Or other plug ins in 32 bit versions? And do you think i will be able to survive on this set up for another few years? Do most people use 64 bit now?
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #58
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Of Sleeping View Post
the motherboard only supports 4 gigs of ram so i will never be able to run 64 bit? or it would be pointless to run 64 bit if i'm reading all this right.

My question really is this. How long do you suspect that Reaper will continue to be released in 32 bit versions? Or other plug ins in 32 bit versions? And do you think i will be able to survive on this set up for another few years? Do most people use 64 bit now?
Most people still don't use 64-bit, and I don't think that will happen for long yet, so no worries. 32-bit Reaper and XP will live longer than the computer you just now bought...
Old 01-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #59
jonmatifa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Of Sleeping
The very fact that computers are being sold with 32bit means that 32bit support will be around for a very, very long time. Windows 7 has been released in both 32bit and 64bit flavors, 32bit is still very much alive and shows no sign of dying anytime soon. You can also take comfort in the fact that REAPER supports Windows 98 and ME, which is unheard of with any other current DAW.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #60
Dream Of Sleeping

thanks guys, that has put my mind at ease.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #61
musicbynumbers

Depending on how much hardware you have in your computer running windows 7 64bit is still worth doing even on 4 gig. You can still run 32bit reaper in windows 7 64bit and still be able to access more ram than you can in xp.

At the moment if you have your motherboard set to 32bit mode then chances are the graphics card and a few other components of your computer are taking away some of that 4 gig in the form of memory address space and the only way to get it to be truly 4 gig is to switch to 64bit mode in the mobo and run a 64bit operating system.

Now I've been told that not all motherboards behave like this and some do not eat up memory so if yours reports the full 4 gig then you don't need this and you also don't need it if your projects don't go over (i think) 2.6 gig (or a bit more with the 3gig switch).

I might be wrong in some places and i'm happy if someone wants to correct me but that's what I got out of the whole experience anyway!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #62
dub3000

just upgraded to i5, 4Gb RAM, win 7 home 64 bit.

EVERYTHING WORKS. sorta. i'm a bit suspicious of the m-audio delta driver (had some weird crackling for a while but that went away when i messed around with a few things). but apart from that, i have every plugin in 64bit native or happily running via the reaper 32bit vst host.

good times.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #63
FeatheredSerpent

Default Everything just works!

Here's a short experience of a completely new system.
Sold my old daw and hardware, started completely afresh - New OS, new audio interface, new computer, new sequencer, new midi controllers, new external drive, and going from 32bit to 64bit across the board.

Maybe I've been lucky, but here's what worked for me.

Laptop is using a core2duo on an intel GM45 chipset, came installed with Vista which got wiped along with everything else on the harddrive, Windows 7 Home Premium x64 installed from scratch.
I double checked that Toshiba had W7 64 drivers for all the devices before I started. They did so all good.

Checked and double checked the drivers for all hardware pieces I planned to buy.
BEWARE that Vista x64 drivers are not a guarantee of compatability with W7, some will work, many won't.
You don't need the Professional version of W7 to get installation compatibility, there is a program you can download from Microsoft that you can run on programs you're not sure of, I have installed all the 32bit programs I wanted to keep from Windows XP no problem.

Reaper v.3.2 x64 installed (insanely quickly for a cubase user!) no problems.
All my 32bit plug-ins, including a UAD-2 Solo/Laptop card installed perfectly and were recognised and integrated into Reaper straight away.
The ESI UGM-96 and I assume all 64bit ESI interface drivers for W7 installed no problem and was recognised and integrated into Reaper also with no problems.
The 2 mini Akai portable controllers (LPK25 and LPD8) were recognised and integrated perfectly with Reaper.

Basically from this I can't see that there are any problems with using 32bit anything either in Windows 7x64 or in Reaper x64, so long as the drivers for your computer hardware are not only up to date but properly coded and not just some sloppy vista update created from drivers that were sub-standard to begin with.

I'm happy that it has been so painless! But like I said maybe I just got lucky with the drivers, then again if a manufacturer can't write a proper driver maybe their gear should be sent back to them.

Main things though are that 32bit plugs and the uad-2 are working exactly as they should in Reaper x64 under W7x64, if it's not working for you then it is either a motherboard device or hardware device with drivers that are not optimum for the system.
FeatheredSerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #64
iLLogicaL

Running Vista 64-bit, I can't get Reaper x64 to load a single directx plugin. I've tried a number of 3rd party effects and instruments, along with all my plugins from Acid Pro, and none of them will show up in Reaper. VSTs are no problem, along with the other formats. But when I scan for directx, it only seems to find 10 plugins that have nothing to do with audio, so it goes through those quickly and then ends up back with an empty Directx folder.

I'm at a loss...any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #65
dub3000

there's no bit-bridge for directx plugins - reaper x64 can only load 64 bit directx plugs, and since it's a dead format for audio fx finding any of those isn't very likely.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #66
norbury brook

direct x has been dead for years,why on earth would you continue using it? it's like complaining your motherboard hasn't got any ISA slots

MC
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #67
iLLogicaL

Huh, well somebody should tell Sony about the passing. Thanks anyway for letting me know to stop looking.

For what it's worth, I remember going in to Radio Shack about eight years ago asking for MIDI cables, and being told rather derisively that MIDI was dead.

Just sayin'...
Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #68
iLLogicaL

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering about auxiliary Reaper files and switching between 32 and 64 bit Reaper. Are all the following things interchangeable between either version:

Project files
Customization (.ini) files
Track and Project Templates

I think I'd like to downgrade to 32-bit, just wondering if I'll be able to copy these files or will need to recreate them.

Also, is that true what someone said earlier about having too much RAM in a 32-bit environment can screw up some of your plug-ins? My computer has 5GB of RAM with Vista 64-bit, just curious if that's going to confuse anybody if I run the 32-bit version of Reaper. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #69
musicbynumbers

cant answer everything accurately but with 5 gig of ram under vista 64bit reaper 32bit should be able to access about 4 gig of it and leave a gig for your os.

Which is far better than what happens under a 32bit os.

I'm running reaper 32bit like this under win7 64bit and it's been really great with no ram problems
Old 03-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #70
zoso2

My Ozone 4 and studio devil tube amp sim. don't work under REAPER 64. if there's a bridge for 32 to 64 bit why aren't those showing up under the list of plugins?
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:35 AM   #71
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso2 View Post
My Ozone 4 and studio devil tube amp sim. don't work under REAPER 64. if there's a bridge for 32 to 64 bit why aren't those showing up under the list of plugins?
One reason for they not showing up in the list of plugs could be that they do not initialize correctly when Reaper x64 scans them; then Reaper silently just ignores them.

Do you know that these should work in a x64 OS?
Do they show up and work ok in Reaper x86 on your machine?
Old 03-12-2010, 05:37 AM   #72
zoso2

they work perfectly in x86 version of REAPER
Old 03-12-2010, 07:20 AM   #73
iLLogicaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso2 View Post
I assume they are VSTs. If they are directX by chance, they won't work, or even be recognized by Reaper 64-bit.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #74
zoso2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLogicaL View Post
I assume they are VSTs. If they are directX by chance, they won't work, or even be recognized by Reaper 64-bit.
yes both are VST plugins
Old 04-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #75
urobolus

Has anyone had luck with running Native Instruments (B4, Kontakt, etc.) and EWQL programs (symphonic choir, RA, DFHS, symphonic orchestra, etc) in x64?

I was really excited to upgrade to the XP64 I've had sitting around for years as I finally got a new card that has 64-bit drivers, then realized my programs might not work in reaper x64. I wanted to upgrade to a 64-bit system simply because I keep running out of memory in 32-bit since I mostly use sample libraries.

Thanks,

Uro
urobolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #76
iLLogicaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by urobolus View Post
Has anyone had luck with running Native Instruments (B4, Kontakt, etc.) and EWQL programs (symphonic choir, RA, DFHS, symphonic orchestra, etc) in x64?

I was really excited to upgrade to the XP64 I've had sitting around for years as I finally got a new card that has 64-bit drivers, then realized my programs might not work in reaper x64. I wanted to upgrade to a 64-bit system simply because I keep running out of memory in 32-bit since I mostly use sample libraries.

Thanks,

Uro
I've had 32-bit NI plugins work just fine with x64, except for the DirectX stuff, which doesn't work at all.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #77
urobolus

Thanks for the confirmation illogical.

I guess I am just going to have to get everything installed and try to sort things out from there. I could just run reaper in x86 if I run into issues running EWQL, NI, or Waves stuff but then I am back to the problem of limited memory.

Looks like I got my weekend cut out for me when the EMU 0404 PCIe cards actually start shipping!

Uro
urobolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #78
AztecStatue

If I run x64 Reaper on a PC with W7 64-bit and x86 Reaper on a PC with W7 32-bit am I going to have issues while moving projects between the two PC's?

Any help is greatly appreciated
AztecStatue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #79
iLLogicaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztecStatue View Post
If I run x64 Reaper on a PC with W7 64-bit and x86 Reaper on a PC with W7 32-bit am I going to have issues while moving projects between the two PC's?

Any help is greatly appreciated
My experience is yes, you will have problems moving projects between the two versions of Reaper. The biggest issue is that plug-ins for the most part won't be recognized properly, because it's looking for the 'bridged' 64-bit version in your 32-bit environment, or vice versa. The files will open, and if there's no plug-ins in use you may be alright, but it's not issue free.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #80
BrotherLove

Well Ive done a little shootout with 32v64bit.

System:
Vista 64bit Home Premium
Intel 920 i7
Asus P6T SE
12 gig RAM
Nvidia Quadro 1800
Latest downloads of Reaper

Project:
42 tracks
43 VST effects (no Cockos FX, all high end plugs from Abbey Road, Stillwell, Tubetech and Ubik)

Streaming pluggins:
EZ Drummer with Vintage Rock expansion
Trilian
Guitar Rig 4 x 2 instances
FM7

External MIDI sync to my Yamaha MOTIF on one track

Results:
32bit ran at around 18-24% CPU, using 800MB odd of RAM. FX use around 23-25%
64bit ran around 5-7% CPU. 580MB RAM odd. FX used around 18-22%

Interesting results. 64bit is the clear winner as it uses nearly 1/3 as much CPU power to run the same project. However, some of my plugins needed to run in bridged mode (EZDrummer, GT4 and a number of others).

My question is why do both versions show me having 12gig of RAM available, I thought 32bit only allowed 4gig max? Its also quite annoying how bridged x86 FX float outside the FX window (I found they kept disappearing on me, only to be found floating under Reaper, sometimes stacked 2 or 3 high as I had opened them often).

But I guess thats some indication of how good 64bit is. I think the upgrade is defiantly worth it.
Feel free to ask any questions about the shoot out, or if there is any other details or data you would like to see.

Cheers,
Jacko

Snaps:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

(Attached zip has full rez screen shots)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Screen Shots.zip (559.5 KB, 665 views)

Last edited by BrotherLove; 05-08-2010 at 06:04 PM.
BrotherLove is offline   Reply With Quote