Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 12-03-2018, 06:16 AM   #1
sulriel
Human being with feelings

Default Playback is Gritty and Slow Suddenly!!

Everything worked fine yesterday. I was done finishing a piece and I had listened to it on loop multiple times. Then it got late in the night, went back to my computer to play it one more time... now it can't get through anything without it being glitchy, choppy and slow. I thought it must have been a sign that my system needed rebooting, like it was hot, or the RAM is defecting. It contains less then half the amount of tracks then most my work though, in the early stages... I thought maybe it's a bad pluggin... I've since, opened other projects and all are now suffering on the playback.

I have no idea what's causing this.. I did get a message about sample rates being different on in-and-outputs only because of switching from interface headphones to stereo, and I have checked my drivers on my interface (though I don't see how that would be effecting the sample rate coming FROM the PC) and I went back and forth from ASIO to WASPI adjusting everything twice over any way I could possibly do and I came up with no solution.

I did not change any settings either before or after working on the tracks until this started happening. In fact, it was suddenly happening at some midpoint in the song. Everything just started sounding screwed up beyond belief. I Don't know if this is a bug or my system and/or if there is a way to diagnose it. I'd appreciate any help! I am SAD without my beloved DAW!
sulriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #2
effitall

You should probably go to View-Performance Meter and pay attention to RT CPU.

You'll notice starting from the far right there will be a graph with two lines (black and green). The black represents your overall CPU utilization, and the green represents RT CPU (RealTime CPU). Playback your project while watching the performance meter. Every time the project gets glitchy, I'd be willing to bet you'll see a spike in RT CPU. This ordinarily shouldn't happen.
effitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #3
Just1Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by effitall View Post
You should probably go to View-Performance Meter and pay attention to RT CPU.

You'll notice starting from the far right there will be a graph with two lines (black and green). The black represents your overall CPU utilization, and the green represents RT CPU (RealTime CPU). Playback your project while watching the performance meter. Every time the project gets glitchy, I'd be willing to bet you'll see a spike in RT CPU. This ordinarily shouldn't happen.
If this shouldn't happen, what is the workaround/fix? I'm having the same issue, and it'll happen between plays... Nothing has changed at all, not a single click has been clicked... The performance level is absolutely fine, my system is quite fine, resource-wise, that's why I'm confused...

-J1G-
Just1Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:45 PM   #4
EvilDragon

You mentioned sample rate changing, that's the most likely cause. Reaper is resampling all the project media in realtime, this is CPU expensive. Make sure that your project is running at the same sample rate that the media in your project has.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #5
Just1Ghost

All files are the same sample rate as each other and the project...everything is set at 44100... The weird thing is, like i said, the slow, "gritty" playback literally happens(ed) right in the middle of working on it & it was playing back absolutely fine one second and not the next...that's the bizarre part! Nothing had changed between it working well and not working... I've had projects load and immediately be "slow & gritty", but later work just fine, too! Just a thought, one that I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to, but I'm going to ask it anyway: Could this be because I haven't paid for Reaper yet? (I'm still in Evaluating mode)
Just1Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
Meo-Ada Mespotine

No, the devs of Reaper don't have limitations in evaluation-versions of Reaper, apart from the evaluation-window which pops up after starting Reaper.
So this is probably a problem somewhere in your config.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
turanga

check your monitor plugins. Dpmeter2 sometimes causes glitches in my configuration.
turanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 06:02 AM   #8
RBoVo

Default Sample Rate

Sounds like there is one wav file with a different sample rate and the rest is likely being up-sampled. also check File/Preferences and make sure the sample rate is the same as the files. Check all your projects. Once you open one that is messed up it changes the global setting and almost all subsequent projects will have the wrong global setting. Hope that helps.
RBoVo is offline   Reply With Quote