Old 05-25-2022, 03:35 AM   #1
outlaw69uk
Human being with feelings

Default Plugins and Things

Hey
So, I am a PT guy, always have been, but, expanding my horizons a bit. Have used Reaper years back, but, looking at it a bit more in earnest now, as well as Harrison Mixbus, with the potential idea of getting rid of protools. Trying Studio One as well but I am already disliking that after opening it haha

Added the Imperial theme to reaper, and, now its pretty, and looks like something I understand

Question is, really, plugins. I only ever use AAX, so, I need to reinstall, well, everything. Not a big deal, I dont use much

Waves - a few of them
Slate Digital
Perfect Drums
Neural DSP
SSL Native

Thats about it. But, when I am asked to choose on instal, its got VST2 and VST3? My head says just install VST3, as, that sounds like the latest. Would that be logical? haha

The only other issue I have had is, Drummer records on Vdrums, sends me the midi, I run that through Slate Drums, and out to individual audio tracks. But, when I tried to import the midi, then, added a midi instrument (ssd) on a new track, I cant for the life of me find how to make the midi go into the intrument track. The only way I made it work was dragging the midi track onto the instrument track. I am sure this can be done, but, cant figure it out at all. I run half the drums through SSD, then, a second version through perfect drums, and, like to keep the instruments on separate tracks

Cheers

J
outlaw69uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:05 AM   #2
Rambler_Man

VST3 has a number of advantages over VST2 so if your DAW supports it, I'd use VST3.

https://blacktidemusic.com/software-...20performances

Last edited by Rambler_Man; 05-25-2022 at 09:55 AM.
Rambler_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:26 PM   #3
b2001

Just for clarity, explain what you mean by “make the midi go into the instrument track”…

If you import midi to a track, or “drag” a midi file to a track; and a vsti such as ssd is on that track, it should play if midi channels, midi mapping are all set up right.

I do a lot what what you want to do; use a midi sequence to drive multiple drum vstis.

All the vstis will be on separate tracks.

I’ve done it both ways:

1. Copy the same midi sequence all all two or three tracks, and
2. Have the midi only on one track with one of the vstis, and route/send output (midi) to the other tracks.

If you only want midi in certain parts to drive certain drums, then split the midi, once into reaper on a track into multiple items as desired and move those items to whichever track as desired.
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:46 AM   #4
bolgwrad

Drag the routing button of the source TCP to the TCP of the target track, this will open the routing dialog (which will close if you click away, and add the default send (audio 1/2>audio 1/2 unless you change that preference).

In the routing dialog you can then specify what to send: audio and/or MIDI by the source/target channel(s) you want, including multiple source sends.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:36 PM   #5
vdubreeze

Steinberg licenses VST to developers and stated a few years ago that they were stopping support of VST2 moving forward in favor of VST3. This is an issue for some developers, and some DAWs hadn't gotten VST3 compatibility during this transitional period. But since you're in Reaper and starting clean VST3 is the way to go unless it's not offered. It's more of a conundrum for a Reaper user to decide when and how much to transition over if they have tons of projects that will still need the 2 plugins if they are returned to, but with a fresh start 3 is pretty much fine.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:49 PM   #6
GrimRP

VST3 is better
GrimRP is offline   Reply With Quote