Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-23-2022, 10:08 AM   #1
nepenthe
Human being with feelings

Default Lag when zooming in/out with video loaded

Possible recurrence of an old issue:

Regardless of if Reaper is playing or not, having a video loaded will often result in lag when zooming in and out of the items - unless the video's "ignore audio" box is checked.

eg: I'm currently aligning audio from a fixed mic with audio from a moving camera. I zoom in and phase align every time I hear the audio going out of phase (so every few seconds). Every time I do this Reaper's UI stalls / lags and it is easy to overshoot.

Reaper 6.58 & 6.58dev0523
Mac OS 12.4
my decoder priority: avfoundation vlc ffmpeg qt
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:24 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
Possible recurrence of an old issue:

Regardless of if Reaper is playing or not, having a video loaded will often result in lag when zooming in and out of the items - unless the video's "ignore audio" box is checked.

eg: I'm currently aligning audio from a fixed mic with audio from a moving camera. I zoom in and phase align every time I hear the audio going out of phase (so every few seconds). Every time I do this Reaper's UI stalls / lags and it is easy to overshoot.

Reaper 6.58 & 6.58dev0523
Mac OS 12.4
my decoder priority: avfoundation vlc ffmpeg qt
Unfortunately that’s to be expected for relatively slow to decode (or more importantly: slow to seek) media when zooming in. If zooming in any item, you should hit one threshold where it takes a bit longer (going from reapeaks to source calculated samples), but as you continue to zoom in it should be fast again as all of those source samples should be in cache.

You can also disable hires peaks for the video files in question to keep it fast…

Last edited by Justin; 05-23-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:15 AM   #3
nepenthe
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Unfortunately that’s to be expected for relatively slow to decode media when zooming in. If zooming in any item, you should hit one threshold where it takes a bit longer (going from reapeaks to source calculated samples), but as you continue to zoom in it should be fast again as all of those source samples should be in cache.

You can also disable hires peaks for the video files in question to keep it fast…
Ok, that makes sense. Thx.
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote