Old 04-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #1
SonicChaos3435
Human being with feelings

Default Monitoring latency, help plz

So, I'm trying to record DI guitars through an amp sim and an IR. I've run into an issue where I can't put the amp sims on as track FX without some latency in my headphones during monitoring through REAPER.

I'm running my guitar through an instrument cable to a Scarlet Solo interface (I switched it out with an Mbox Mini and had the same issue), which goes straight into a USB 2.0 port. Using any driver, REAPER says the latency is at 2 ms, and there is still a delay of around 30 ms during monitoring.

I've scoured the internet for answers, every source I've checked seems to either say "just use direct monitoring for recording and track effects for playback" or "some latency is fine, just play despite it" and neither of those options sound good.

Please help?
SonicChaos3435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #2
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper forums !

Using Reaper and amp sim VSTs for Live playing with decently low latency definitively is possible.

For low latency "Live" playing you need appropriate equipment (audio converter, computer hardware, plugis etc.) and appropriate setting of the system. Please see the "Live" subforum here for more information.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-19-2019 at 01:04 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:22 PM   #3
SonicChaos3435

Michael, thanks for your response.
I am trying to record a signal directly into REAPER to a track with VST plugins for recording. If the live forums will help me fix the latency issue, would you mind pointing me to the right thread?
SonicChaos3435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:42 PM   #4
Zerododo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicChaos3435 View Post
So, I'm trying to record DI guitars through an amp sim and an IR. I've run into an issue where I can't put the amp sims on as track FX without some latency in my headphones during monitoring through REAPER.

I'm running my guitar through an instrument cable to a Scarlet Solo interface (I switched it out with an Mbox Mini and had the same issue), which goes straight into a USB 2.0 port. Using any driver, REAPER says the latency is at 2 ms, and there is still a delay of around 30 ms during monitoring.

I've scoured the internet for answers, every source I've checked seems to either say "just use direct monitoring for recording and track effects for playback" or "some latency is fine, just play despite it" and neither of those options sound good.

Please help?
in this case the latency is not Reaper's fault. If you use cpu ungry plug ins such as amp sim and convolution reverbs, the latency grows up quickly.

solution 1: do monitor your guitar thru Scarlett and not from reaper, latency free
solution 2: do monitor thru reaper, but first deactivate amp sim (or use a lighter one) during recording.
Zerododo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:42 PM   #5
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Michael, thanks for your response.
I am trying to record a signal directly into REAPER to a track with VST plugins for recording. If the live forums will help me fix the latency issue, would you mind pointing me to the right thread?
There will be some latency.
I'm guessing you have installed the Focusrite drivers for it?

Try taking the effects off and recording the track raw without fx and see what it is like then. You can always add the effects later when you are doing your mix.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:06 AM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
would you mind pointing me to the right thread?
The introductional sticky thread will provide a lot of information to get started.
-Michael
Old 04-19-2019, 01:12 AM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Emu View Post
Try taking the effects off and recording the track raw without fx and see what it is like then.
Effects that introduce latency will show this by "PDC": the last number (spls) Reaper shows on the bottom left corner of the FX chain frame.

Other than that, effects don't (can't) introduce involuntary latency by themselves. If they need much CPU power this will not result in greater latency but in crackles and dropouts (which might force you to increase the deliberate latency you set in the project.
-Michael
Old 04-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #8
Jimmy James

Quote:

Please help?
First, you shouldn't need 2ms. I see what you are doing there. But back that off. 4-6 ms should be plenty. But Go with 4ms as your lowest.

Are you muting the track channel in Scarlett Mix Control? Just want to be sure you are not listening to the direct and processed at different ms at the same time. So make sure that is muted.

Make sure you only have the amp sim on, nothing else. Amp Sims will use different amounts of cpu. Black Rooster amp sim uses 17% for me. But Pod Farm uses 13% and so on.

What is your CPU % when your track is armed? Also, try not to have a bunch of midi tracks processing during playback. Or for example, Abbey Road Plate Reverb uses up big chunks of CPU on playback. I have to either freeze the tracks or turn them off.

If you rig just wont give you a decent playback. You could always use a small guitar amp. Then split your guitar one to the amp and the other into your audio. Mute the recording and monitor the guitar off the amp.
You might find you think this is SUPER RAD and rather enjoy it.....
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote