Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
future fields
Human being with feelings

Default What's the general consensus on ZOOM products?

I remember ZOOM mostly from back in the late 90's and early 2000's when I had some of their early guitar digital multifx pedals. Honestly I never thought they sounded great and I didn't really expect the company to last as long as they have but here we are in 2019 and they are still in my Sweetwater catalogs I get and have to say I quite like the design on a few of their products, particularly the 8-preamp rackmount interface.

How do you guys feel about their stuff?
Old 04-13-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
woogish

Totally ambivalent
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:25 AM   #3
ivansc

Cheap and cheerful from my experience. I think after their initial rush of pretty dern good drum products they decided to go for the bedroom amateur market almost exclusively, apart from their Mixers/recording desks, some of which seem to do pretty well. Dont know how good or otherwise their driver software is for those though.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:41 AM   #4
ajaym

I have a little zoom audio recorder that I use for voiceover work. It's built pretty cheaply but works fairly well given the price - only problem is that if you turn it off and leave the AA battery in there, after 2-3 weeks it'll flatten the battery. Not a showstopper. Technically it works well, connecting an earset mic and recording nice clean 24 bit 44.1KHz WAV files - so it does exactly what I bought it for and it didn't cost a lot of money. So I think - given the price to performance ratio, Zoom gear seems reasonably good.
ajaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:57 AM   #5
Retro Audio Enthusiast

You can't beat the original 1201 for some unique lo-fi sounds and tones.

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/pro...aces/zoom-1201
Retro Audio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:33 AM   #6
squibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Audio Enthusiast View Post

I still have a zoom 1024 in my rack that I've owned since the 90s when I bought it new. Even has a vocoder!
Old 04-14-2019, 03:59 AM   #7
bolgwrad

Used to use a Zoom Hn4 clamped to a ceiling lamp for live acoustic recordings, results over a year or so were excellent. Just had to put brand-new Duracell AAs in every time to last 3 hours.

The other trouble is if you're going to design something to be portable it has to be a lot more rugged - flimsy plastic mic casings with no guard, for example, and a loose battery cover.

The UI, while fully-featured, is veeery clunky. Still got one, never used now; though I might get round to trying the USB mic feature again for old times' sake. It runs off USB without batteries which is good.

The portability is the main useful feature, but hey, smartphones.
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:05 AM   #8
ejanejarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Audio Enthusiast View Post

Mine is not seeing much use these days (that'll change) but I gotta say I love its knobs, solid and smooth, way better than some more expensive gear! Of course, 20 years old build quality is hardly appliable today.
ejanejarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:02 AM   #9
Dr Bob

Still have my 1201 working. Agree, smooth knobs, well built kit.

Not the highest quality sounds, but in a mix, still sound OK.

dB
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #10
clepsydrae

Similar experiences here with the H4N: sounds great, awesome features for the price, not an especially rugged/durable piece of equipment. Considering that you can get them used on eBay for US$80, there's nothing to complain about. :-)
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:04 AM   #11
1Man

The Zoom Live 12 has incredibly high quality mixer for the price tag. It has an SD card and can also be used as a computer audio interface. I highly recommend!
1Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #12
route66

Over the years I've had and have various Zoom products and haven't had a complaint. For lower priced effects pedals, Zoom is my preferred brand.
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #13
Mordi

Zoom H5 is a really solid recorder.

It comes with an X-Y pair of mics. They have some self-noise when recording quiet sources, but other than that I’d say it has great audio quality. It’s also easy to use.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:13 PM   #14
Gazebo

I think they are great. I had one of the old really cheap multi-effects for guitar, which helped me understand the sounds I wanted.

I had a MRS800 Eight Track Recorder, which I learnt a lot about recording on, and recently have bought a Zoom R8 Recorder, which has proved to be a great recording notepad.

As it has lots of built in effects and a drum machine it's a fantastic tool for writing.

I sometimes use it to record parts before transferring them to Reaper, too, because the recording process is more "instinctive" - no screen, just the song to play.

I have been tempted recently by the G1x Four Multi-effects to access some sounds that I wouldn't normally use.

I don't think their stuff is made for "road" use, but for me as a domestic hobbyist, who is pretty careful to look after my toys, they're great
Old 04-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #15
Goldreap

I guess OP is focusing on studio/interface gear but FWIW:

Many years ago I had the Zoom 707 guitar multi effects...back then any digital FX pedals were pretty crappy sound wise compared to now. Fiddly to program, but useful for travelling light without the usual pedal board. Had to re-solder the power socket a few times.

Then I bought a G2Nu...better sound, sturdier (but heavier), improved functionally but still fiddly.

Now I have a MS-70 CDR....great sound, logical layout, does a lot for a one stompbox size. Really handy.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #16
pipelineaudio
Mortal

The interfaces are running pretty good! Some of them are excellent for live guitar modelling as they have a big obvious volume knob, low round trip latency and MIDI I/O
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #17
Fran Guidry

I started my Zoom journey with an H2, since then I've had an H2n, H1, and H6. I've gotten good use out of all of them, sometimes using mics, sometimes Line In. The early recorders had weak Line In, very easy to clip, so they needed an attenuator or an output with a level control to feed them. The H6 and later units have switchable pads and work much better.

I've done a bunch of articles on these recorders and a couple of Zoom music cameras: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/index.php?s=zoom including comparing the H6 to some fairly high end mics and interfaces.

The H6 has been a big part of my recording for some years now, I have a playlist of Zoom H6 acoustic recordings in my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJN9...B_F3v1nnFucsWk

The latest stuff from Zoom have been a series of multi-channel recorders that compete with the low end of the Sound Devices line, the reviews are decent but I don't have any hands-on experience with them.

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:46 PM   #18
somebodyelseuk

What Ivan says, really.
I had their first floor unit - 2020 - back in the early 90s, because it was the first one to have pitchshifting outside of a rack unit, and it didn't break the bank - £300 in circa '92. It did a job.
I've got a G5 lying about here somewhere... If you can afford it, there are better options, but they're not bad.

Last edited by somebodyelseuk; 04-14-2019 at 11:52 PM.
somebodyelseuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:43 AM   #19
+NRG

I’ve been a big fan of ZOOM since the 9002! They’ve had some hits and misses over the years but I’ve had great luck with the the ZOOM gear that I’ve purchased. Good bang for buck ratio... I still have a ZOOM R24 (since 2010!) which I mainly use as a basic control surface with REAPER and an old ZOOM G7.1ut MFX.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:24 AM   #20
Cranky Emu

I am thinking of getting a Zoom H6 down the track, has anyone had any experience with these and what do you think of them?
Old 04-15-2019, 06:30 AM   #21
frood

I have a zoom r16 which I use as my main interface. It has served me well but it's showing its age and I have come to understand it has a number of shortcomings (a bit flimsy, slightly buggy USB connection, so-so latency and preamps). on the other hand it does what it does very well indeed and I would recommend it in a heart beat to someone getting into home recording. I haven't really made much use of it as a portable recording device, so that's another potential plus for people who are into that kind of thing.

now I think about it I also own a zoom multi-fx pedal for guitars, which is essentially a paper weight now but which was also pretty full featured for the time. it had a pretty awesome drum machine in it, which was great for jamming along with. again, great products for beginners but the universal with Zoom seems to be that they are very flimsily made products.
frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:38 AM   #22
karbomusic

I've had an H4n since roughly 2011. It's fine, I've used it quite a bit, the only issue I've had is that when using the mic inputs with condenser mics, I can't get the level low enough to keep it from clipping when doing something like drum overheads. The ASIO interface was a little flakey though IIRC but it's not something I'd ever use.

I also have a Zoom H3-VR which as a similar issue with the built in mics, I can't get the record level low enough in a band room practice situation to keep the clip lights from blinking, granted I don't 'think' it actually clipped that much but aggravating nonetheless. Other than the input level issue though, I've really had zero issues out of either of them.

I also have a Sony PCM D-50 and some testing not long ago shows the preamps in the H4n potentially very slightly noisier then the Sony but not by much and I usually consider it a non-issue. Meaning I have no real reason to avoid their products, of the ones I've tried.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:50 AM   #23
Judders

I've had an H4n for about the same length of time as Karbo. Got a lot of use out of it, it's been great. I've recorded loud bands in small rehearsal rooms without clipping, using the inbuilt condensers and two dynamics. Never plugged condensers into it though. It's been handy for a headphone guitar practice amp thingy too, when I've been away from actual amps or computers.

It's been plenty robust enough for me, kept in its plastic case I've chucked it in bags full of stuff many times and have yet to damage it, though I did manage to shear off the mic stand adapter.

As an interface it's handy but only 16 bit.

Never liked their digital guitar multi-effects, but then I've never heard a digital multi-effects box I liked, so that's nothing against the company.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #24
Mordi

Some of Zoom's products are reviewed in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQB8brUYxlk

Zoom preamps are surprisingly silent. Worth noting that the test does not consider the noise of the built-in mics on the H5.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #25
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordi View Post
Some of Zoom's products are reviewed in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQB8brUYxlk

Zoom preamps are surprisingly silent. Worth noting that the test does not consider the noise of the built-in mics on the H5.
The preamps on the H4n are reasonably quiet, but for low-level field recordings some de-noising is required.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
The preamps on the H4n are reasonably quiet, but for low-level field recordings some de-noising is required.
I would agree, I only discovered while testing a DSLR camera mount and sending out of the recorder to the DSLR, the H4n signal was a tiny bit more noisy than the Sony regardless of settings. I wouldn't publish that as a scientific paper (as it could be something other than the pre) but I did notice as I was switching between the two. I also agree that for anything that isn't a quiet source, it should be relatively irrelevant.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #27
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I would agree, I only discovered while testing a DSLR camera mount and sending out of the recorder to the DSLR, the H4n signal was a tiny bit more noisy than the Sony regardless of settings. I wouldn't publish that as a scientific paper (as it could be something other than the pre) but I did notice as I was switching between the two. I also agree that for anything that isn't a quiet source, it should be relatively irrelevant.
Yup. For anything musical I've had no problems with signal-to-noise, but if you're into recording shrews farting from 100 yards away you might want something better.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #28
themixtape

Absolutely love my Zoom G3, Zoom MS70CDR stereo pedal (for synths/reverb), and my new Zoom G3N. Essential pieces of gear. Especially for stacking reverbs and delays. Wonderful.

Also dig my Zoom H2 handy recorder, but the updated version is much, much better. Which I might eventually pick up.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:21 AM   #29
alledgedoffender

Have an R8 and I can record full trax with it easily. I have usd it live aswell and it did a great job.
alledgedoffender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #30
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I too have a H4n that I've had for quite a few years now. It is good value for the money and works reliably. Sound quality is decent but not stunning. It is a tad noisy using the internal mics for ambient recordings but still usable.
I'm using mine at present for a weekly live talk show (CoCoTalk Live which is a retro Tandy TRS80 Colour Computer show) I am part of. I use it for my lapel mic which needs plugin power (different to phantom power).
Apart from this show, the H4n doesn't see a lot of other use these days because I purchased a Sound Devices 744t field recorder for a ridiculous price at an ABC auction a couple of years ago. The 744t completely blows the Zoom away in every department, especially sound quality but it is also worth $5000!! I got mine at the auction for $400.

I also have a Zoom Valve DSP 19" rack mount guitar preamp which I mainly use as a preamp for my Leslie speakers. I really like its overdrive. It needs a valve replacement now though.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #31
Fran Guidry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Emu View Post
I am thinking of getting a Zoom H6 down the track, has anyone had any experience with these and what do you think of them?
I've used my H6 extensively since 2013 and found it quite useful.

Here's a playlist of videos with audio captured using the H6 XY mic module:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...B_F3v1nnFucsWk

There are several more that were done using pickups into the 1/4" DI input.

Over on the Homebrewed Music site I've done several articles about or using the H6:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2013/...itar-shootout/ includes comparisons to a Sony PCM-D50 and an RME UFX interface.

And here http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2013/...h6-vs-rme-ufx/ is a more carefully matched comparison between the H6 and the UFX.

I've used the H6 to do a couple of "self-duet" videos, including a tutorial on using REAPER video editing to create such a video: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2016/...eos-in-reaper/

A couple of years ago my H6 developed a sticky feeling, still functional but unpleasant. I put up with it for a while but then learned that Zoom might replace the unit even though it was well out of warranty. I contacted the Zoom North America and sure enough they RMA'd my unit and replaced it with a brand new one. I was quite impressed with the level of support.

Fran
Old 04-16-2019, 07:04 PM   #32
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Here's a playlist of videos with audio captured using the H6 XY mic module:
Thanks I will take a listen and read of the articles.

Quote:
I was quite impressed with the level of support.
That's pretty impressive.
Have you ever used the MS mic, if so what are your thoughts on it?
Old 04-16-2019, 09:05 PM   #33
karbomusic

Quote:
I know the question isn't for me but I forgot I also have a Zoom Q8 which has the switchable mics. I actually prefer the M/S mic much of the time such as recording band rehearsals etc.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:01 AM   #34
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I know the question isn't for me but I forgot I also have a Zoom Q8 which has the switchable mics. I actually prefer the M/S mic much of the time such as recording band rehearsals etc.
Thanks Karbo, more responses the merrier
I was interested in the MS for doing reverb impulses. Also want to use the Zoom for field recordings as well, ambient/animals whatever I come across. I think the MS would work really well in nature type field recordings, and like seascapes and so forth.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #35
Fran Guidry

Quote:
Thanks I will take a listen and read of the articles.

That's pretty impressive.
When I tested the MS mic module I found it to have noticeably higher self-noise than the XY module. I contacted Zoom-NA about it and they told me there was no problem with my unit, that it was operating within spec. So I've never used MS since then.

I did an article with sample files: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2013/...s-noise-issue/

Since the XY module is coincident one can encode the XY file to MS for adjustment then decode back to conventional stereo.

Fran

Oh, and thanks a ton for visiting the YouTube channel and commenting.

Fran

Last edited by Fran Guidry; 04-17-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #36
Cranky Emu

Thanks Fran, I will take a look at the reviews later today.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #37
Judders

Which convolution plugins can take M/S impulses?
Old 04-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #38
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Which convolution plugins can take M/S impulses?
I might have got a bit mixed up here with this. The intention was to record in MS, then put that into Reaper, decode it to a stereo track.
Would that give an MS'ish type of effect where you have the sides and middle - like if you had a left/right mic and a middle mic? Or am I barking up the wrong microphone?
Old 04-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #39
Judders

Quote:
I might have got a bit mixed up here with this. The intention was to record in MS, then put that into Reaper, decode it to a stereo track.
Would that give an MS'ish type of effect where you have the sides and middle - like if you had a left/right mic and a middle mic? Or am I barking up the wrong microphone?
Ah, okay, that would work. It would give a different sound, and better mono compatibility.

Definitely worth a shot. You could change the relative gain of the mid and sides before decoding to stereo to give you wider/narrower stereo image.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #40
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Ah, okay, that would work. It would give a different sound, and better mono compatibility.

Definitely worth a shot. You could change the relative gain of the mid and sides before decoding to stereo to give you wider/narrower stereo image.
Phew, you have me worried for a minute
After listening to Fran's review I am not sure if the MS mic (at least the one that comes with it) will be any chop - it is incredibly noisy.
Would three condenser's to individual tracks give a similar result or not or would there be phasing issues?