Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

View Poll Results: Would you like to see this added?
Yes i would like to see that too 4 100.00%
No,Doesent make sense to me 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2019, 04:05 AM   #1
SubbaseDnB
Human being with feelings

Default FR: show CPU usage per plugin in project bay

One thng i would love to see is a Plugin performance meter(like the one in studio one,and i also think FL Studio just got one in the latest update)

Its a good way to see how much cpu,ram etc each plugin in a project is taking up

Last edited by SubbaseDnB; 04-19-2019 at 03:46 PM.
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
ivansc

What do you feel is missing from the current system or the workflow involved? Show performance meter and you have pretty much all the information available either en masse or on an individual plugin basis, depending on how you select.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
J Riley Hill

we already have this in REAPER don't we?
The performance meter shows overall for every plugin on a track and the bottom left of fx window shows the currently selected plugins CPU usage. Whats missing?
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:36 AM   #4
SubbaseDnB

Ahh nice,didnt knew you could see the performance of all individual plugins used in a project
Old 04-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
J Riley Hill

nice yeah! I noticed the meters in the bottom left of the fx window a few months ago. after having used REAPER for like 3 years 🤣.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:25 AM   #6
SubbaseDnB

Is there a way to see how much cpu etch EACH individual plugin in a project is using?
Old 04-18-2019, 07:20 AM   #7
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
how much cpu,ram etc each plugin in a project is taking up
I don't think it's possible to measure the used RAM per plugin due to how the dynamic libraries in the operating systems work. The plugins share the same memory heap as the host (unless they are bridged in another process). So it's really possible to only show how much the host process (Reaper in this case) is using in total. Have you actually seen per plugin RAM use meters in some other host?

Plugins themselves can do it to some degree if they carefully measure their memory allocations and deallocations. But the host can't query those estimates from the plugins, it's not part of the standard plugin APIs.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #8
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
Is there a way to see how much cpu etch EACH individual plugin in a project is using?
Not as a list or tree that has all the plugins in the project, it's only shown in the FX chain window for the currently visible plugin.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #9
J Riley Hill

The area we talking about is circled in red.
0.1%/0.2%

0.1% is the CPU usage of the currently SELECTED plugin(in this case the waves ssl) and the 0.2% refers to the total CPU used by the entire chain, (so the waves ssl and the reaEQ together in this case).

Last edited by J Riley Hill; 04-18-2019 at 04:17 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-19-2019, 02:10 AM   #10
SubbaseDnB

ahh ok now i see what you guys mean,thanks

i havent used studio one pro since i got Reaper,but i believe to remember that that shows a list of all plugins in a project

and thats kind of what i would like to see in Reaper
Old 04-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #11
J Riley Hill

You can see a list of all FX in a project with a bunch of details in the Project Bay actually, its pretty useful! (ctrl+b) is the default keyboard shortcut for that. It doesn't show the cpu usage per plugin though....

TBH I would definitely +1 adding the ability to look at each plugins CPU usage to the project bay. I would for sure use that feature.

Are you able to change the name of this thread? I can't remember if you can do that.
It could be something more specific like "FR: show CPU usage per plugin in project bay" since right now the name of this request is something REAPER can already do.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #12
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Riley Hill View Post
You can see a list of all FX in a project with a bunch of details in the Project Bay actually, its pretty useful! (ctrl+b) is the default keyboard shortcut for that. It doesn't show the cpu usage per plugin though....

TBH I would definitely +1 adding the ability to look at each plugins CPU usage to the project bay. I would for sure use that feature.

Are you able to change the name of this thread? I can't remember if you can do that.
It could be something more specific like "FR: show CPU usage per plugin in project bay" since right now the name of this request is something REAPER can already do.
nice.doesent reaaly have used the project bay,will check it,title changed