Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
Chuck Boyer
Human being with feelings

Default recorded midi section, pasted into track... problem

I recorded a 12 measure string midi piece.
Then I copied it and moved the recorded section onto another track, out of the way.
Then I pasted it into the original string track. As I had made a 'new midi item' into the track that is 500 measures long, long enough for the entire orchestra piece I'm writing.

Problem is that the pasted recorded midi notes once pasted into track doesn't play at bar 1. Instead it always begins playing at bar 13, the bar after the end of the recorded piece length, which was 12 bars.
What's wrong with Reaper and midi in this instance please?
Obviously it can be done and I'm doing something wrong.
Any hints?
Chuck Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #2
Chuck Boyer

Default or

Or is there a way to take that recorded midi piece which is 12 bars long and extend it with blank space to 500 bars?
Old 04-14-2019, 12:24 AM   #3
solger

Two options which come to mind are:

Option 1:

1) Uncheck the Item > Item settings > Loop item source option (also accessible via the Item Right-Click menu) for the MIDI Piece Item
2) Then drag the right edge of the MIDI Piece Item with the mouse to where you want it to end

Option 2:

1) Drag the MIDI Piece Item onto the Track with the empty '500 measure'-Item where you want it placed in the timeline
2) Then select the two overlapping MIDI Items and Glue them together (Item > Glue Items)
Old 04-14-2019, 12:29 AM   #4
Chuck Boyer

Default solger: 'thanks'

Thank you Solger!
Yes, slaps forehead, heal will merge the recorded piece with the original 500 measure track midi item. Great!

Yes, my problem was how to record into the 500 measure track and mix that plus the hand made midi edit notes together. Your 2nd solution answers that situation.

I'm so glad you helped me, as now I am back and writing the piece again, instead of searching around forums and search engines for the way out of my predicament.

Last edited by Chuck Boyer; 04-14-2019 at 12:45 AM.