Old 03-30-2019, 03:33 AM   #1
Big A
Human being with feelings

Default Files not recognized by Reaper

Greeting All,
So I just recently upgraded my laptop. I had to wind up downloading and installing all my recording software on the new computer. I use a Glyph Studio external drive as my recording drive. Before I really learned how to organize and file Reaper projects, I just let files go into the Reaper folders I had set up in path preferences. So before I started using the new computer, I opened all my previous Reaper projects from the Reaper projects folder, then 'saved them as' into specific folders and files I had set up for each past project. Everything has been working fine until last night. A repeat client wanted to go back and listen to something we had recorded live a couple of years ago. I had started mixing some of that stuff, but we had never really done anything with it. Mostly covers, and the venue was VERY noisy. When I went to open the project in the file, I got the error message that Reaper could not find the audio files, even though they are right there in the folder. I tried to direct Reaper to that same folder to no avail. The file names are exactly what Reaper is looking for. So I went back thru some of my old project folders, and so far, 4 projects will not open on the new computer. All the rest of them open fine. I have folders containing multiple Reaper projects and all will open but one here and there. So this morning I got out my old computer and plugged it up to the hard drive and Reaper on that machine opened the projects just fine. So then, on my old computer, I deleted all fx and plugins and any tracks without audio that I had created for groups. All that is left is the tracks with audio. Then I resaved those as unprocessed and tried to open that unprocessed project in the new computer - again to no avail. Then I tried dragging and dropping the wav files into a new Reaper project and I get the error message - cannot import files. I tried playing the wav files on my default media player and they won't play either. Although other files, from projects that will open, will import and play. I need some suggestions on what to do next. I have no plans to get rid of my old computer - although I had planned on wiping it at some point. I guess worse comes to worse I could keep Reaper installed on the old computer and access those projects if I need to again in the future. I'm sorry for being lengthy. I explained my problem as concise as I know how. Hopefully someone who can help will read the whole thing.
Thanks very much,
Big A
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:43 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
... So before I started using the new computer, I opened all my previous Reaper projects from the Reaper projects folder, then 'saved them as' into specific folders and files I had set up for each past project...
Since you didn't mention it directly: did you check the Copy all media into project directory option at the bottom of the Save-as-dialog, as well?

In general, it's also possible to double-check the source media paths in the Project Bay (View > Project Media/FX Bay).

Quote:
... Then I tried dragging and dropping the wav files into a new Reaper project and I get the error message - cannot import files. I tried playing the wav files on my default media player and they won't play either ...
Just in case: are these actually audio files with a .wav file type extension? Or are these perhaps .reapeaks files where the file type extension is hidden (and it might look like a .wav file just from the file name)?

As example:

With file type extensions shown:
  • Audio file name: Recording01.wav
  • Peaks file name: Recording01.wav.reapeaks
With file type extensions hidden:
  • Audio file name: Recording01
  • Peaks file name: Recording01.wav

Last edited by solger; 03-31-2019 at 03:16 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:55 AM   #3
Big A

Thanks very much for your reply. I did open the projects up in my old computer again to verify those things you mentioned. The file extensions are hidden but I have previously verified the file types. My new computer says they are indeed wav and repeak files in the project folder. Crazy. The next thing I’m going to do later today when I have time is to open the project folder in my old computer and try to -restore previous versions- of the wav files and just delete the repeak files and see what happens in the new computer. One valuable lesson I have learned in this is to save project as right after tracking and leave that snapshot unedited. One thing these projects have in common is Melodyne was used on at least one of the vocal tracks. Even though I deleted all edits and plugins, I know from experience that Melodyne and Reaper don’t always play nice together.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:36 PM   #4
Big A

I've tried everything I can think of and still the old computer will - and the new computer won't open those few projects. Very frustrating. It sais that no previous versions are available for the wav files. I even dropped the wav files directly into a new project in the old computer and the new computer still won't open it. It is hard to believe that this is a completely unique problem.