Old 05-31-2022, 12:06 PM   #1
Funkybot
Human being with feelings

Default v6.59+dev0531 - May 31 2022

v6.59+dev0531 - May 31 2022
  • * Includes feature branch: fixed lane play markers
  • * Includes feature branch: pre-FX/pre-fader output recording
  • * Includes feature branch: improve experimental silent-track CPU reduction option to include FX tail length
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • * Includes feature branch: internal pin management overhaul for future extension
  • + Crossfade editor: improve grouped item editing behavior with editor open [t=266599]
  • + FX: allow resizing FX windows beyond screen size on Windows
  • + Media item fixed lanes: add import option to add media on fixed lanes on a single track
  • + Media item fixed lanes: if a lane is soloed, new recording goes into that lane
  • + Render: improve speed of offline render with muted/unsoloed tracks [t=267271]
  • + Render: slight memory use reduction when rendering using resampling
  • + VST: move more of PDC buffer initialization to playback start
  • + Video: improve WMF decoding compatibility [t=267260]
  • + Video: optimize opening of extra pooled audio decoders (do not try decode modes which previously failed)
  • + Video: validate WMF-decoded audio at file-open time, fallback to other decoders if unavailable
  • # FX: better handle PDC buffers when using auto-bypass
  • # Media item fixed lanes: fix inserting lane play marker at time zero via razor edit
  • # Media item fixed lanes: improve display and editing of lane play markers when track is not so tall
  • # Media item fixed lanes: support stretching razor edits that include lane play markers
  • # Media item fixed lanes: update edit cursor, time selection display after action to set loop points to lane play markers
  • # Preferences: disable controls in Seeking when their parent option is disabled
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:33 PM   #2
pepe44

An option to import audio toa new lane would be welcome.

https://ibb.co/1n6p2F9
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:41 PM   #3
Sexan

Cant create fades on markers (no icon), tested pre before all ok

EDIT: Seems like you need to zoom in now, but if you set it to 0 you cant adjust it anymore

Sexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:52 PM   #4
ferropop

Just some usability weirdness that is happening too often for comfort:

1. Shift-drag Play Markers keeps previously selected marker selected, undesirably moving both:

In practice, wanting this behaviour will be Super rare and undesirable almost always. Normally you want to quickly adjust one marker, then another one, refining the audible boundaries. Having to deselect each time is bad.

Maybe the behaviour should be to only move a single marker unless explicitly lassood? Auto deselect otherwise?

2. Shift-drag Play Markers, if any lane media were selected, moves both together:

Again, this will be literally almost never desirable and yet it's the easiest / default behaviour to do. This actually piggybacks on #1, where not only does the selected item move with the Play Marker, the second Play Marker also moves!

...the main issue being there's no real way to "deselect the media" to avoid this, without clicking outside the track.

Just in general, especially when moving envelope points, the "last touched thing gets included in the selection when holding Shift for no snap" behaviour is so troubling and frustrating and requires constant undos.

Is there a way to assume a "deselect everything" before running actions that 99% of the time are meant to operate on a single thing?

Thanks!

Last edited by ferropop; 05-31-2022 at 04:30 PM.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:32 PM   #5
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Cant create fades on markers (no icon), tested pre before all ok

EDIT: Seems like you need to zoom in now, but if you set it to 0 you cant adjust it anymore
Fixing, thanks.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:44 PM   #6
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
+ Media item fixed lanes: if a lane is soloed, new recording goes into that lane
"Options: New recording splits existing items and creates new takes (default)" doesn't work with this. (It records overlapping items like the old layer recording mode)
Old 05-31-2022, 01:57 PM   #7
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
"Options: New recording splits existing items and creates new takes (default)" doesn't work with this. (It records overlapping items like the old layer recording mode)
Hmm I think I'm not quite understanding this report. Could you explain more please?
Old 05-31-2022, 03:58 PM   #8
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
# FX: better handle PDC buffers when using auto-bypass
Let's try this. Thanks, Justin.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:59 PM   #9
bolgwrad

[QUOTE=Funkybot;2564717]v6.59+dev0531 - May 31 2022

+ Media item fixed lanes: if a lane is soloed, new recording goes into that lane

This is nice; but as it is, the extremely useful fixed lane track recording pattern (each take generates a new lane) switches,
with a new recording in a solo lane, to the standard track take behaviour;
ie a grouped take item in one lane. Which is logical, but inconvenient, I'd argue.

To show new, later takes in separate lanes - as the fixed-lane recording does first time round - a (subsequent)
multiple-take solo lane recording has to have two actions applied:
1/ implode items on same track into takes (displays each take in a fixed lane)
2/ explode items in place (separates the new items into fixed lanes)

- Which is doable by custom action, but would be awesome by default.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:58 AM   #10
chmaha

Quote:
  • + Crossfade editor: improve grouped item editing behavior with editor open
  • + Render: improve speed of offline render with muted/unsoloed tracks
Many thanks!
Old 06-01-2022, 01:09 AM   #11
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Hmm I think I'm not quite understanding this report. Could you explain more please?
Should have just gone to bed...

So from what I can tell, when recording into a soloed lane, the recording mode options (splits, tape mode etc.) are ignored and new recorded items are always added as overlapping items into that lane.

I was expecting that I could record into a soloed lane and create takes with splits.

Having this expectation, I was confused because I have the option "Loop recording always adds takes to newly recorded items" enabled. With this enabled, it looks like the tape recording mode works fine (existing items in the lane are trimmed), but split recording mode doesn't (existing items are not split).

I'm guessing that this isn't really a bug, but a weird interaction of various options. Maybe its still a good idea to allow various recording modes when recording into soloed lanes? For me at least, this was what I was expecting to happen. But in the end, what probably matters more is that recording with fixed lanes is coherent and doesn't get too confusing...
Old 06-01-2022, 04:38 AM   #12
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
when recording into a soloed lane, the recording mode options (splits, tape mode etc.) are ignored and new recorded items are always added as overlapping items into that lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
but as it is, the extremely useful fixed lane track recording pattern (each take generates a new lane) switches,
with a new recording in a solo lane, to the standard track take behaviour;
ie a grouped take item in one lane

The option that is controlling this behavior is "loop recording always adds new takes to newly recorded items." I think both of you have this enabled. If it's disabled, the looped recording is added as separate, overlapping items in the soloed lane. This option only affects this particular case, looped recording in fixed lanes.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:53 AM   #13
bolgwrad

@schwa Thanks very much, that's right. Removes the need to explode takes.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:33 AM   #14
ferropop

Thoughts on how Time Selection Auto Punch should operate in Fixed Lanes - or have a new mode just for this:

If there's a time selection and you are recording into a Fixed Lane track,

1. A new lane is added
2. Audio is recorded to that lane, irrespective of the Time Selection. ie, from the moment you hit record to the moment you hit stop, that is all recorded to a lane.
3. Within the bounds of the Time Selection however, Play Markers are added (removing existing markers) and that area is made active upon stop.

This allows for "punching in a phrase/word" without splits, while capturing the entire take on a discrete lane, and immediately making the punch-in active.

Best of all worlds.

Last edited by ferropop; 06-02-2022 at 11:15 AM.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:39 AM   #15
Mercado_Negro

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is something I haven't noticed before.

All plug-ins in the project are bypassed (I manually bypassed them all) but REAPER keeps telling me it's using 98% of CPU. This can't be right, right?
Old 06-02-2022, 01:03 PM   #16
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Bypassed is not deactivated. To reduce cpu-load, you probably should try offlining them.

Is there an option you've set that sounds like vst's are off while bypass?

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 11:32 AM   #17
Edgemeal

Quote:
+ Media item fixed lanes: add import option to add media on fixed lanes on a single track
Just wanted to say Thanks, as I'm guessing this also fixes the bug where REAPER would move files unknowingly when you canceled the import and then saved new project with the move items option.

Now (with v6.75+dev0219) when I cancel the import the media get added anyway, but I can undo that, save the project (with move media option) and those source files don't get moved anymore (yeah!), but they are copied. Might not be 100% perfect but at least I don't have to worry about loosing source files if I delete a project anymore!
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote