Old 05-20-2022, 09:54 AM   #1
Desa
Human being with feelings

Default v6.58+dev0520 - May 20 2022

v6.58+dev0520 - May 20 2022
  • * Includes feature branch: pre-FX/pre-fader output recording
  • * Includes feature branch: improve experimental silent-track CPU reduction option to include FX tail length
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • * Includes feature branch: internal pin management overhaul for future extension
  • * Includes feature branch: media explorer user-defined tags
  • + Actions: add actions to move/copy contents of time selection to edit cursor [t=211511]
  • + Batch converter: add menu item to display converted file properties
  • + FX: allow setting FX instance oversampling for multiple items at once in chain view [p=2559966]
  • + FX: prevent unintended drag/drop of FX when quickly clicking on multiple track FX buttons in a row
  • + Free item positioning: do not change item sizes when pasting to fipm track [t=266897]
  • + Media explorer: add separate actions to calculate peak volume, loudness, or dry run statistics
  • + Opus: improve final packet rounding to minimize padding when encoding [t=266870]
  • + Opus: use smaller default frame size when encoding
  • + Opus: when rendering, ensure user-entered bitrate is in range [t=266870]
  • + Performance: reduce audio thread interruptions when moving/copying contents of project regions
  • + Recording: add per-track setting to allow record output to record pre-FX or post-FX/pre-fader
  • + Routing matrix: fix macOS resize drawing glitch
  • + Video: preview video position when creating marquee selections and razor edits
  • # Media explorer: improve speed of loudness calculation
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode

http://sarahdecarlo.it
Desa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:21 AM   #2
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desa View Post
+ Actions: add actions to move/copy contents of time selection to edit cursor
Thank you so much for this! Having a native action that does this and also includes tempo and time signatures is brilliant.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:22 AM   #3
musicbynumbers

+ Recording: add per-track setting to allow record output to record pre-FX or post-FX/pre-fader

Thanks for this!

and all the other goodies too!
Old 05-20-2022, 10:49 AM   #4
Funkybot

Quote:
v6.58+dev0520 - May 20 2022[*]+ Actions: add actions to move/copy contents of time selection to edit cursor [t=211511]
Good stuff!

Can we please, please, please get a mouse modifier to draw time selection (only) on the ruler via left drag? It just makes a lot of sense to have that as a ruler left drag option - especially since razer edit was added.

That will free up left drag on the arrange area for Razer Edit / Marquee select / copy actions, and have time select and looping actions on the ruler - which make sense since both effect the timeline within those ranges.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:17 AM   #5
AZpercussion

Video: preview video position when creating marquee selections and razor edits

Thanks!!! Works as should. Much less pain now, yoohoo!
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:23 AM   #6
operator

The way it is now with having the settings for "auto-bypass fx" spread over Project-Settings and Preferences is somehow suboptimal.

Especially with the option "auto-bypass FX" which was transfered to Project-Settings. Now we have left behind the option "auto-bypass when FX is opened" in the Preferences and just referencing to the Project Settings or right click menu --> this is not very elegant IMO.

I would prefer having it all in the Preferences and not in the Project Settings. When I make a VST default to "auto-bypass FX"--> then this is saved globally too... right? So why making the option auto-bypass FX "per Project"? I would prefer it the way it was before --> all in the Preferences. Or at least having all related options at the same place... even if it is all in the Project Settings.

Last edited by operator; 05-20-2022 at 12:06 PM.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:51 AM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by operator View Post
The way it is now with having the settings for "auto-bypass fx" spread over Project-Settings, Preferences and right-click-menu is somehow suboptimal.

Especially with the option "auto-bypass FX" which was transfered to Project-Settings. Now we have left behind the option "auto-bypass when FX is opened" in the Preferences and just referencing to the Project Settings or right click menu --> this is not very elegant IMO.

I would prefer having it all in the Preferences and not in the Project Settings.
When I make a VST default to "auto-bypass FX"--> then this is saved globally too... right? So why making the option auto-bypass FX "per Project" suddenly? I would prefer it the way it was before --> all in the Preferences. Or at least having all related options at the same place... even if it is all in the Project Settings.
Auto-bypass (and the silence threshold) can affect the way a project sounds, it's better as project-specific settings.

The only global preference is simply for the "auto-bypass even when FX UI is open" which is something of a tradeoff for people and won't affect how projects sound. Most people will leave that disabled.

There are compatibility settings per-plugin to override whether the plug-in supports project-wide autobypass -- you can set a plug-in to ignore the reported tail (making it an infinite tail), or to use an automatic tail size. So if a plug-in is misbehaving you can change it's behavior there.

If you don't want to use project-wide auto-bypass, you can opt-in just one plug-in (e.g. something that is really hungry or problematic) per-instance.

This covers a lot of different use cases and should be pretty predictable and sensible.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:47 PM   #8
operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
The only global preference is simply for the "auto-bypass even when FX UI is open"
Hmmm, so if I set "auto-bypass" as a "default settings for new instances", this isn´t global (for all Projects)? Didn´t tested that one... but I would guess that this is global too.

Quote:
If you don't want to use project-wide auto-bypass, you can opt-in just one plug-in (e.g. something that is really hungry or problematic) per-instance
With most Plugins I have to use the "per-Plugin auto-bypass" additionally ontop of the Project-wide auto-bypass ("auto-bypass FX that report tail [...] auto tail"), because it hardly works on any of my Plugins... and if it works on one I can still optimize it by auto-bypassing "per-Plugin" --> e.g. Valhalla DSP.

I would love if we could have a global option, which reduces CPU of all Plugins like the "per-Plugin auto-bypass FX on silence" option does.

Last edited by operator; 05-20-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:54 PM   #9
pentecost

Quote:
[*]+ Actions: add actions to move/copy contents of time selection to edit cursor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Thank you so much for this! Having a native action that does this and also includes tempo and time signatures is brilliant.
and regions! this would be a massive quality of life improvement for me if the implementation worked cross-project.

without that, one has to reconstitute all of the region/tempo map/item data in order to pool that data from separate projects into a new one (in my case, separate song/album projects into a live setlist project).
it isn't prohibitive, but it is tedious.
pentecost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:56 PM   #10
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by operator View Post
Hmmm, so if I set "auto-bypass" as a "default settings for new instances", this isn´t global (for all Projects)? Didn´t tested that one... but I would guess that this is global too.

With most Plugins I have to use the "per-Plugin auto-bypass" additionally ontop of the Project-wide auto-bypass ("auto-bypass FX that report tail [...] auto tail"), because it hardly works on any of my Plugins... and if it works on one I can still optimize it by auto-bypassing "per-Plugin" --> e.g. Valhalla DSP.

I would love if we could have a global option, which reduces CPU of all Plugins like the "per-Plugin auto-bypass FX" option does.
You can go to the plug-ins that don't report correctly and change their compatibility setting, which will affect all instances. E.g. the Valhalla delay I tried said it had a short tail, which is obviously wrong, so in that case you'd want to check "Use automatic tail detection."

Then load an existing project, set the bypass-silence project setting, and you're good!
Old 05-20-2022, 01:05 PM   #11
operator

Quote:
"Use automatic tail detection."
Ahhh, THX very much.. and sorry for the mixup. I just discovered that option right now... should have looked closer before writing here.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:49 PM   #12
PitchSlap

Quote:
Then load an existing project, set the bypass-silence project setting, and you're good!
Sweet! I didn't know there was a project setting now. This saves a boat-load of time manually changing it for existing projects that won't use the default setting for new FX instances.

Btw I finally got around to checking out Rrreeaa and absolutely love it! With the ME getting some tweaks this cycle I thought it would be super useful to be able to experiment with it when auditioning media without changing the default project setting and affecting existing items that use it (i.e. choose ME preview time-stretch algo from the pitch/rate knob context menu)
Old 05-21-2022, 12:39 AM   #13
airon

Quote:
+ Video: preview video position when creating marquee selections and razor edits
Hoho! This is great. As nature intended. Works well too.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:06 AM   #14
ovnis

"+ Video: preview video position when creating marquee selections and razor edits"

Great feature.

Is it possible to preview the video with the video processor plug-in enabled when we move edges item, please?

For exemple, actually when we have applied a rotation of 104° on a video to be able see it in the good way, when we preview it, the video come back to this bad position.

Thx you!

Last edited by ovnis; 05-21-2022 at 03:07 AM.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:45 AM   #15
creal

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
+ Recording: add per-track setting to allow record output to record pre-FX or post-FX/pre-fader

Thanks for this!

and all the other goodies too!
The ice on the cake would be to choose after which FX we could record, as well as send the signal to another track (Ardour does this and it's a great feature).
creal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:03 AM   #16
vsgrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by creal View Post
The ice on the cake would be to choose after which FX we could record, as well as send the signal to another track (Ardour does this and it's a great feature).
Yes. The nonlinear summing plugins like Airwindows Console would require to be post-fader, while every other plugin would be pre-fader.
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:05 AM   #17
srdmusic

Quote:
You can go to the plug-ins that don't report correctly and change their compatibility setting, which will affect all instances. E.g. the Valhalla delay I tried said it had a short tail, which is obviously wrong, so in that case you'd want to check "Use automatic tail detection."

Thank you so much for the compatibility setting. That will save a lot of time.

Is there any way to see which plugins are reporting tails correctly? That way we apply only the compatibility setting to plugins that are not reporting tails.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:06 AM   #18
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Auto-bypass (and the silence threshold) can affect the way a project sounds, it's better as project-specific settings.
May I ask why? I'm trying to think of a reason why auto-bypass plug-ins might affect the sound of a project but I don't understand why this might happen.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:07 AM   #19
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
May I ask why? I'm trying to think of a reason why auto-bypass plug-ins might affect the sound of a project but I don't understand why this might happen.
for example:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=10
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:56 AM   #20
lexaproductions

Quote:
+ Routing matrix: fix macOS resize drawing glitch
Amen to that!

Thanks a lot
lexaproductions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:19 AM   #21
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Ah yes, that makes sense. Well, I don't think enabling auto-bypass on reverbs or delays would be a good idea anyways but good to know one of those cases. Thanks, Schwa!
Old 05-21-2022, 08:01 AM   #22
Triode

I've just tried this pre and opened a long project with lots of empty arrange space on about 50 tracks each with a few plugins on.
I have turned on the new "auto bypass fx that report length or have auto-tail set" and the threshold is at -100db (although I've tried various levels).
I would expect to see many or most of these tracks in the Performance Meter running at zero CPU with the above option checked during empty spaces in the arrange but there is no change - they are still running at between 0.1% to 2% each.
The plugins I am running are for instance: Fabfilter ProQ3, Waves H-Comp, Kontakt, Fabfilter Saturn, NI Guitar Rig 5, NI VC2A...
Have I missed a step?
Really looking forward to getting this working.

Edit: While changing the project auto-bypass value I also noticed that it affected the sound from tracks that don't have any plugins on. Gating the sound of the track. Is this expected?
(I have monitor effects but I was manually using reaper's global bypass for them. I wasn't running any effects on the master)

Last edited by Triode; 05-21-2022 at 08:20 AM.
Triode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:34 PM   #23
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
A couple of other things in addition to plug-ins that misreport tail:

1) Some plug-ins produce different output depending on the timing of their input signal. E.g. ReaFIR in the default mode, it's block based and does funky things, so if you feed it different amount of silence before something like a drum hit, you'll get slightly different results. Usually subtly different, but different.

2) The silence threshold also would affect the output signal (though typically at levels lower than the threshold) -- if you set it to -80dB, you could end up with -80dB differences for each plug-in, which could add up.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:41 PM   #24
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
I've just tried this pre and opened a long project with lots of empty arrange space on about 50 tracks each with a few plugins on.
I have turned on the new "auto bypass fx that report length or have auto-tail set" and the threshold is at -100db (although I've tried various levels).
I would expect to see many or most of these tracks in the Performance Meter running at zero CPU with the above option checked during empty spaces in the arrange but there is no change - they are still running at between 0.1% to 2% each.
The plugins I am running are for instance: Fabfilter ProQ3, Waves H-Comp, Kontakt, Fabfilter Saturn, NI Guitar Rig 5, NI VC2A...
Have I missed a step?
Really looking forward to getting this working.
You can click the + button on one of those plug-ins, go to Compatibility settings, and see what tail the plug-in reports. If it reports an infinite tail, you can override it and set it to automatic tail.

Quote:

Edit: While changing the project auto-bypass value I also noticed that it affected the sound from tracks that don't have any plugins on. Gating the sound of the track. Is this expected?
(I have monitor effects but I was manually using reaper's global bypass for them. I wasn't running any effects on the master)
Heh oops, yeah, if you have that prefs "reduce mixing CPU use of silent tracks" set, it effectively gates tracks using the project-wide silence threshold, which is not correct, fixing!
Old 05-21-2022, 03:44 PM   #25
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Ah yes, that makes sense. Well, I don't think enabling auto-bypass on reverbs or delays would be a good idea anyways but good to know one of those cases. Thanks, Schwa!
If they report their tail size correctly it should be fine! A big if, I suppose. In automatic mode it's probably fine if you set your silence threshold low enough.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:09 AM   #26
Triode

Quote:
You can click the + button on one of those plug-ins, go to Compatibility settings, and see what tail the plug-in reports. If it reports an infinite tail, you can override it and set it to automatic tail.
Ok thank you I've gone to the compatibility settings and seen that Fabfilter ProQ3 reports an infinite tail, so I've set it to ignore that and I've enabled automatic tail detection. Now that instance of that plugin is at zero when the plugin window is not shown. It would be really nice if all the other instances of this effect update to these settings also without having to reload the project.

By the way, what is the difference between making the above settings and just setting "auto bypass plugin on silence"?

Quote:

Heh oops, yeah, if you have that prefs "reduce mixing CPU use of silent tracks" set, it effectively gates tracks using the project-wide silence threshold, which is not correct, fixing!
Glad I spotted one
Will the new auto-bypass features supersede the "reduce mixing CPU use of silent tracks" option or complement it?
Old 05-22-2022, 02:12 AM   #27
buyrunvelocity

+ Video: preview video position when creating marquee selections and razor edits

Waiting this for long time. One last thing before RE became super tool that is be able to edit envelopes on media lane and take envelopes.
Thanks
buyrunvelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:12 AM   #28
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Yes!!!!
Old 05-23-2022, 02:24 AM   #29
Phazma

Quote:
+ Batch converter: add menu item to display converted file properties
As you are still working on the batch converter, I am wondering if improving the batch converter preset system is also still planned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Currently the batch converter presets are shared with the render presets, so any converter settings that aren't also render settings, aren't saved in the preset. We will probably improve this but not necessarily soon.
(quoted from v6.46+dev0125 - January 25 2022)

Quote:
+ Media explorer: add separate actions to calculate peak volume, loudness, or dry run statistics
# Media explorer: improve speed of loudness calculation
Separate means for either peak+loudness calculation or dry run statistics? There are no actions that calculate only peak or only loudness? So the action "Calculate peak volume and loudness (LUFS-I) for media" is the appropriate and fastest action to populate the loudness column?
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:19 AM   #30
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
the action "Calculate peak volume and loudness (LUFS-I) for media" is the appropriate and fastest action to populate the loudness column?
Yes.

There is a fast action to populate media explorer peak volume, a less fast but still pretty fast action to populate loudness (that also happens to populate peak volume), and an action to do a dry run render that doesn't populate the fields in the media explorer, but lets you see all of the render statistics and charts.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:30 AM   #31
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
If they report their tail size correctly it should be fine! A big if, I suppose. In automatic mode it's probably fine if you set your silence threshold low enough.
When you say "automatic mode" you mean the checkbox that's inside the project settings, right?
Old 05-23-2022, 07:39 AM   #32
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
When you say "automatic mode" you mean the checkbox that's inside the project settings, right?
"Automatic mode" would be with the compatibility setting to use automatic tail detection (combined with the project setting or per-instance auto-bypass setting).

In that mode it looks for a second of continuous silence, which on a delay or reverb that doesn't report tail properly, will be OK, unless the delay is very sparse in which case it might stop processing early.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:04 AM   #33
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
"Automatic mode" would be with the compatibility setting to use automatic tail detection (combined with the project setting or per-instance auto-bypass setting).

In that mode it looks for a second of continuous silence, which on a delay or reverb that doesn't report tail properly, will be OK, unless the delay is very sparse in which case it might stop processing early.
Clever that! Thanks, Justin. I'm doing my own tests here with several plug-ins that don't report it properly like Soundtoys and UAD (among others).

Talking about UAD plug-ins. Do you think activating this on UAD plug-ins might actually produce more work for the CPU on realtime processing given the fact it's running on DSP (these plug-ins use a bit of CPU anyways)?
Old 05-23-2022, 09:31 AM   #34
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Clever that! Thanks, Justin. I'm doing my own tests here with several plug-ins that don't report it properly like Soundtoys and UAD (among others).

Talking about UAD plug-ins. Do you think activating this on UAD plug-ins might actually produce more work for the CPU on realtime processing given the fact it's running on DSP (these plug-ins use a bit of CPU anyways)?
I wouldn’t recommend using it for UAD, though there’s an additional thing we could do to improve it if you do, lemme do that for the next build.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:00 PM   #35
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
I wouldn’t recommend using it for UAD, though there’s an additional thing we could do to improve it if you do, lemme do that for the next build.
Thanks, Justin. Is it dev0523?
Old 05-23-2022, 02:49 PM   #36
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks, Justin. Is it dev0523?
the next after 0523
Old 05-23-2022, 03:25 PM   #37
Mercado_Negro

Quote: