Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 01-29-2021, 09:27 AM   #1
Klangfarben
Human being with feelings

Default Inconsistent Window Button Text Color

Hi All, I'm trying to figure out if this is a configuration issue, a bug or something else.

Certain window button text in my setup displays with white text and other window button text displays with black text. Obviously, I would like all window button text to be black.

Here is a screenshot of the FX Window and FX list, which both have different button text colors. This is the default for me and I'm having a hard time understanding why it would be this way, especially in two related windows.

Does anyone know why this might be?
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
Glennbo

I don't know why it happens, but I would sure like to know.

While most windows in REAPER are totally readable with the dark theme I use in Xubuntu.

Last edited by Glennbo; 02-27-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:57 AM   #3
Klangfarben

Yeah, there are windows that look like that on my end as well (Manjaro/KDE).

It seems very much like a bug to me as you would think by default text would be one color, not a mix and match of black, white and grey.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:14 AM   #4
FeedTheCat

Some of them are controlled by the theme (Window text for button text in the FX window), some of them are controlled by your libswell.colortheme file (button background). The theme you are using was probably intended to be used with some sort of "dark mode".

You could try out the libswell theme I made for ReaLogix for it (Put it inside your resource directory and restart reaper). But nevertheless you'll have to switch between dark and light libswell themes to get it right for each theme. Or adjust the colors in the theme tweaker (the ones at the very top usually do the job)

Isn't the greatest experience, but at least on Linux we don't have unthemeable areas

Old 01-29-2021, 11:31 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Some of them are controlled by the theme (Window text for button text in the FX window), some of them are controlled by your libswell.colortheme file (button background). The theme you are using was probably intended to be used with some sort of "dark mode".

You could try out the libswell theme I made for ReaLogix for it (Put it inside your resource directory and restart reaper). But nevertheless you'll have to switch between dark and light libswell themes to get it right for each theme. Or adjust the colors in the theme tweaker (the ones at the very top usually do the job)

Isn't the greatest experience, but at least on Linux we don't have unthemeable areas
Whoa, thanks a LOT for that!!!

Last edited by Glennbo; 02-27-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:16 PM   #6
rothchild

Do I need to rename your file libSwell.colortheme or can your file live alongside it (how do I tell reaper which one to use)?

I put your file in the resources folder but noticed the generic file was in the main /opt/Reaper folder (for now your file has at least given me enough of a clue to get a few bits in to a readable state, thanks!)
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:54 AM   #7
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothchild View Post
Do I need to rename your file libSwell.colortheme or can your file live alongside it (how do I tell reaper which one to use)?

I put your file in the resources folder but noticed the generic file was in the main /opt/Reaper folder (for now your file has at least given me enough of a clue to get a few bits in to a readable state, thanks!)
You can modify the libSwell.colortheme in your installation directory (default:/opt/REAPER), but I wouldn't recommend it as it will reset back to default each time you update reaper.

The correct way is to place a copy of it named "libSwell-user.colortheme" in your resource path (default: ~/.config/REAPER). I think you can also just keep the name "libSwell.colortheme" but reaper prioritizes the one with the "-user".
Old 07-15-2021, 09:26 AM   #8
vivantart

Default Workaround

Well, I fixed it here this way:

1) Open "Actions" (? shortcut)
2) Search for "theme" and choose "Theme Development:Show theme tweak/configuration window"
3) Find "Window text" and change the color
4) Find "Window background" and change the color until match your libSwell.colortheme
5) Maybe you should change I/O window too
6) You can change "Window list selected row" as you wish
7) Then you can save your theme using "Save Theme" button
8 That's it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cockos.jpg (56.9 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by vivantart; 07-15-2021 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Add attachment
vivantart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #9
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivantart View Post
Well, I fixed it here this way:

1) Open "Actions" (? shortcut)
2) Search for "theme" and choose "Theme Development:Show theme tweak/configuration window"
3) Find "Window text" and change the color
4) Find "Window background" and change the color until match your libSwell.colortheme
5) Maybe you should change I/O window too
6) You can change "Window list selected row" as you wish
7) Then you can save your theme using "Save Theme" button
8 That's it
I recently made a script that creates a libswell colortheme that matches your active reaper theme. Might be of interest to people in this thread
Old 07-15-2021, 01:03 PM   #10
vivantart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
I recently made a script that creates a libswell colortheme that matches your active reaper theme. Might be of interest to people in this thread
Wow, for sure!!! Thanks, man.
vivantart is offline   Reply With Quote