Old 07-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
drholz
Human being with feelings

Default How to keep track colors the same when moving vertically

Hello,
Yes another track color question. I have read the documentation and have figured out how to color my tracks with custom colors.
If I'm creating some guitar loops with, say, the track color of blue, all my new recorded loops are blue. Great. Here's the problem. I like to render to apply the track fx to items as a new take and move them to the bottom of the tracks in a new track, out of the way to create another guitar loop. I can create lot's of guitar loops this way using only one vst amp plug-in. When I drag the clips to the bottom of the tracks the track color turns to the default gray, however. Is there any way to keep it blue (my color for guitar) so I can remember where all the guitar clips are, say later when I start recording other instrument parts in other colors.
As I'm a fairly new user, if you can think of an easier way than what I'm doing also, with the collecting of loops, feel free to add.
Thanks
drholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
musicbynumbers

If you get the sws extension from here http://www.standingwaterstudios.com/new.php

You have a feature called auto colour, it also allows you to store 16 colours and use a custom action to make sure that new tracks can be assigned a colour.

Short answer but I have to go out now

hope it helps a little!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
drholz

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Yes, I've already installed and am using auto colors. Works great.
I still have the same problem though. I've worked with other Daw's (Reason, FL studio, live, project 5) where the clips you make are automatically colored (we have that covered with SWS) Yet, they will not remain the same color when you drag them off up or down... say to another track, even. I can't seem to figure this out. Don't get me wrong, I love reaper, but this seems a bit harder then necessary.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
drholz

I have found however, that by applying item settings to color a specific track, that track will indeed stay the same color, no matter where it is moved. Even to the bottom of the screen. However this is not an auto function so far as I can see and requires at the very least a shortcut key each time you produce a new loop to color that track and match it to the previous ones.
Thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
timlloyd

I think it's because you're colouring the tracks and not the items. You just need to go to preferences and select the "tint item backgrounds to custom colour" (or something like that), and then assign your shortcut or however you're colouring tracks to be setting the item colours instead.
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
drholz

Okay,
Had that box selected already, but I changed my custom keystroke to set selected item to track color under sws item color. The clip remains the same color as it was recorded in (per the auto coloring), but now I can drag it around and it will remain that color. It won't do this however, unless I select the recorded clip and apply this shortcut. I believe this is as automated and easy as I can make this. At least it's just one keystroke and no color matching.
If anybody can actually record a clip in a particular track color and move that clip to the bottom of the tracks, or to another track, without any fiddling around (extra keystrokes, etc) and have it remain in the track color it was recorded in, I would be very interested to hear about it.
Thanks.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
arkima

Hi drholz,

Making up the right macros might be the ticket. Here's a couple for you to try out if you like and perhaps improve to suit what you're after:

Both will move the item keeping the same time line postion and color, to a new track added to the end of the track list and works well with SWS Auto color afaik. Edit cursor stays where is too.

a) Selection/focus to the new tarck and moved item(s).

Xenakios/SWS: Store edit cursor position
SWS: Set selected item(s) to respective track color
Item navigation: Move cursor to start of all selected items
Edit: Cut items
Track: Insert new track at end of track list
Item: Paste items/tracks
Xenakios/SWS: Recall edit cursor position

b) Selection/focus stays as is before using the macro.

SWS: Save current track selection
SWS: Save current arrange view
Xenakios/SWS: Store edit cursor position
SWS: Set selected item(s) to respective track color
Item navigation: Move cursor to start of all selected items
Edit: Cut items
Track: Insert new track at end of track list
Item: Paste items/tracks
Xenakios/SWS: Recall edit cursor position
SWS: Restore saved track selection
SWS: Restore arrange view

I'm sure both could be refined but it should do what your after if I've understood you properly. Just assign a short cut to each of course then - have your target item(s)selected and press fire

Hope those help a bit.

EDIT:
Incase macros are really new to you, here's how I make mine up:
> Bring up the actions list
> Click the "New" button for custom actions
> Search/locate each action to use (or copy & paste each action from the above list into the search field if you want it quicker)
> Drag and Drop each action from the left side to to the right section of the custom actions list
> Check (select) the "Consolidate undo points" (& show in actions list) option
> Name the macro at the top
> click "ok".

Last edited by arkima; 07-08-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: step by step info added
arkima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
drholz

Thanks arkima