Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-24-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
ZAKAR
Human being with feelings

Default If I use an external computer monitor will I be able to see more tracks at once?

I have a 13' laptop and I'm looking at getting a 22' computer monitor. Say I can only view 20 tracks vertically at once. If I get the monitor and connect it to my laptop will I be able to view something more like 40 tracks at once? Or will the 20 tracks just be larger (since they're being viewed on a larger screen)
ZAKAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
force_redo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKAR View Post
I have a 13' laptop and I'm looking at getting a 22' computer monitor. Say I can only view 20 tracks vertically at once. If I get the monitor and connect it to my laptop will I be able to view something more like 40 tracks at once? Or will the 20 tracks just be larger (since they're being viewed on a larger screen)
The answer everybody loves: it depends.

If your larger monitor displays the same resolution, it will show the same screen content only larger. But:

A.) You might be able to run it at a higher resolution than the main screen
B.) Even if you can not get a higher resolution, you might be able to run it as a secondary screen, so you can spread your tools and windows across both screens (i.e. you use them simultaneously)
C.) You could also look into saving some screen real estate with a different theme.

Hope this helps
force_redo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:33 PM   #3
ZAKAR

This was very helpful. Thank you!
ZAKAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKAR View Post
view something more like 40 tracks at once?
In addition to what force wrote, it will depend on the theme you are using as well, I have a 32 inch mon 1080p (its max res), with most themes at 1080p your going to see between 17 and 22 tracks.

You could try the "LC Blue R4" theme, it allows you to expand the MCP and there is a project I am working on now with 64 tracks and all are visible, although you don't get to see much else except the MCP.

If you are using a laptop, most laptops (if not all) only have one video output, you can also buy from the likes of eBay, USB to HDMI adapters, thus providing you with the native video output from the laptop plus the USB output, effectively allowing you to run dual monitors. I use this setup for another of my hobbies on the laptop and it works well.

There are a lot of themes with slim-line MCP's, so browse through them, download a bunch and pick which best works for you. I tend to like the Evolution themes myself - that is just personal preference though
Old 01-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
Bribedant

Or you can (maybe) turn your monitor to portrait mode. Most graphic drivers support this. Here's my three 19" setup. Did this for the White Tie skin that really don't work on 1024pix height. No problems with 1280 height tho. And more visible tracks.

Bribedant is offline   Reply With Quote