Old 05-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
philper
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Timecode generator lock to external clock?

If I use an audio interface with Reaper that is locked to a stable external clock, will the TC generator in Reaper also be locked to that clock (I hope)?
philper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
mschnell

Do you mean audio world clock ?

This is a hardware thingy between audio interfaces, The DAW is not involved here. Of course the sample rate of all audio streams is synchronized, but (e.g.) the DAW song tempo is independent.
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:11 AM   #3
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
If I use an audio interface with Reaper that is locked to a stable external clock, will the TC generator in Reaper also be locked to that clock (I hope)?
yes, I think that this is the case with Reaper. The timecode locking (slaving) algorithm will sync itself to the incoming timecode and once this is done it will continue to stay in sync to the wordclock until timecode stops. As a result, timecode sync will stay sample accurate once sync has been established.

This only works perfectly when using LTC/SMPTE timecode, though. When using MTC, sync offset may vary to a max. offset of close to one frame (like 1/30th of a second for example depending on the chosen frame rate). MTC cannot offer sample accurate sync by design due to its fairly coarse resolution, however, once sync has been established, it will stay constant for that particular pass until the timecode master is stopped and starts playback again.

Whenever possible, you should use LTC/SMPTE (thus audio) as timecode via a spare audio channel of your audio interface. You can even use the free VoxengoRecorder plugin to output an audio timecode signal via a different audio device than that defined as Reaper's main audio device.

If for some reason you have to use MTC, you should install CopperLan to manage MIDI distribution over ethernet (your LAN). This yields much less latency and offers network-wide MIDI data distribution (notes, CC, PC and MTC at the same time).

Old 05-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
philper

Thanks. I was more wondering about Reaper's timecode generator and if the audio interface being used for Reaper was on a solid word clock (ie external) would that mean that the TC Reaper generates is also being generated locked to that clock. This seems like it should be true...?
Old 05-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Thanks. I was more wondering about Reaper's timecode generator and if the audio interface being used for Reaper was on a solid word clock (ie external) would that mean that the TC Reaper generates is also being generated locked to that clock. This seems like it should be true...?
A Reaper timecode generator item generates LTC or MTC on-the-fly. I've noticed that its signal is more stable after glueing that item to audio. It will then be as precise as it can get (sample accurate in the case of LTC), precisely following your system's word clock master.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #6
philper

Do you mean recording audio at the same time the TC is generated? That's what I need to do anyway.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #7
SonicAxiom

Once your devices are properly sync'ed, you can record audio while timecode sync'ing them. You can record on the master machine as well as on the slave(s).

Could you describe your setup (audio interfaces, computers, etc.) and which devices you are trying to synchronize?

Old 05-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #8
philper

I'd like to record into Reaper via an interface that is lockable to an external word clock, have Reaper also generate (and output)LTC that will be used to jam Lockit boxes that are feeding cameras as well as a TC slate or three.