Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #81
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Because of how Nebula works, which is easier for you to read about than for me to explain, the concept of distortion is not just one thing. Low level distortion, or true saturation, is done very very well in Nebula. Things like tube emulation, tape emulation, preamps, eq's, transformers, console ins and outs) these all are handled with amazing realism in Nebula because of the nature of how it processes the audio. But can Nebula simulate a Ratt pedal, or an overdriven Mesa guitar amp? No, THAT type of distortion is not possible yet. And fast transient taming like from a true 1176? Not quite, but close. But a good Opto compression? Absolutely. Just try the free version. The workflow is intimidating, but just readjust your brain and use your ears.
I understand that the technical details are much more complicated, but was simplifying for the sake of argument, if you can forgive me. And indeed, I *want* to use my ears to be the judge, rather than knowing about / reading up on all the technical details (which I'm very interested in as well, so thank you for the link), which is why I asked if anyone can point me to good audio examples / comparisons. I have used the free version, and didn't like anything I heard so far (and absolutely hated the entire UI, but that's not the point here).

Similar to your positive experiences with Nebula, I think that low level saturation of the overdrive in UAD's Moog filter plugin is done very well. And that's just a "preamp", isn't it? So my question remains. We could make some audio source material for comparison, I'll put them through the Moog overdrive (at mild settings), and you can try and match the type of sound with some Nebula preamp saturation? Even if only to find out if it's "THAT" kind of distortion that Nebula isn't suitable for (I like them in many flavors anyway).

Personally, I'm less interested in 1176, but since you mention it, I'd like to hear those too, compared against both the old and new UAD 1176 ones. That would make for an interesting comparison as well, wouldn't it? I have the old ones (they come bundled with the hardware), and still have a 14-day demo period for the new ones that I haven't activated yet, so if we use the same source file, and try to match some settings, I could contribute those parts of some comparison. And there must be folks on this forum with access to a real 1176 as well, I assume.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #82
richie43
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
I understand that the technical details are much more complicated, but was simplifying for the sake of argument, if you can forgive me. And indeed, I *want* to use my ears to be the judge, rather than knowing about / reading up on all the technical details (which I'm very interested in as well, so thank you for the link), which is why I asked if anyone can point me to good audio examples / comparisons. I have used the free version, and didn't like anything I heard so far (and absolutely hated the entire UI, but that's not the point here).

Similar to your positive experiences with Nebula, I think that low level saturation of the overdrive in UAD's Moog filter plugin is done very well. And that's just a "preamp", isn't it? So my question remains. We could make some audio source material for comparison, I'll put them through the Moog overdrive (at mild settings), and you can try and match the type of sound with some Nebula preamp saturation? Even if only to find out if it's "THAT" kind of distortion that Nebula isn't suitable for (I like them in many flavors anyway).

Personally, I'm less interested in 1176, but since you mention it, I'd like to hear those too, compared against both the old and new UAD 1176 ones. That would make for an interesting comparison as well, wouldn't it? I have the old ones (they come bundled with the hardware), and still have a 14-day demo period for the new ones that I haven't activated yet, so if we use the same source file, and try to match some settings, I could contribute those parts of some comparison. And there must be folks on this forum with access to a real 1176 as well, I assume.
I have a few 1176 style Nebula "libraries". They don't handle the transients like they should, but because of the Nebula sample based engine, they definitely impart the tonal flavor. I just throw a more transparent algo plug before it for the behavior, and it is very close to the hardware.
I would be happy to try a few comparisons with you. PM me and let's figure out how to proceed.
__________________
http://soundyaudio.com/ The Sounds of the Hear and Now
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #83
Blandry
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 72
Default

Moog 4 pole filter for nebula: www.rhythminmind.net/STN/?p=1733
Blandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #84
richie43
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandry View Post
Moog 4 pole filter for nebula: www.rhythminmind.net/STN/?p=1733
Just wanted to mention that Eric at Rhythminmind is a very cool guy and makes amazing presets at a very affordable price.
__________________
http://soundyaudio.com/ The Sounds of the Hear and Now
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #85
Blandry
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rd View Post
+1.

I've heard time and time again of how good Nebula is but not prepared to buy it just to find out...

There's no A/B examples on Acustica Audio site.
Here's an experiment I did on an unfinished mix. It compares unprocessed,
VCC Neve console emulation, and Nebula Neve console emulation:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=719653
Blandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #86
xphen0m
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 158
Default

I'm pondering buying SKnote StripBus, which looks like it has a similar functionality to NLS. It seems like you are able to group instances of the plugin and such.

If anyone has this, can you tell me if I'm correct or no? StripBus gets a LOT of good reviews, and is pretty cheap, which is a HYOOOOOOGE plus, to me.
xphen0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #87
richie43
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphen0m View Post
I'm pondering buying SKnote StripBus, which looks like it has a similar functionality to NLS. It seems like you are able to group instances of the plugin and such.

If anyone has this, can you tell me if I'm correct or no? StripBus gets a LOT of good reviews, and is pretty cheap, which is a HYOOOOOOGE plus, to me.
While I AM a huge Nebula fan, when I am needing a quicker and less CPU intensive plugin for console emulation, the Stripbus suite is awesome. Yes you are correct about the grouping. And the channel inserts can be used for subtle ducking, and that alone is worth the price, it really lends a "gluing" quality and very subtle sense of placement. All of the Sknote plugins (the newer grey line) are worth every penny and more.
__________________
http://soundyaudio.com/ The Sounds of the Hear and Now
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #88
Mercado_Negro
Moderator
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Caracas, Venezuela
Posts: 8,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
We could make some audio source material for comparison, I'll put them through the Moog overdrive (at mild settings), and you can try and match the type of sound with some Nebula preamp saturation? Even if only to find out if it's "THAT" kind of distortion that Nebula isn't suitable for (I like them in many flavors anyway).
Sure, let's do it
__________________
Pressure is what turns coal into diamonds - Michael a.k.a. Runaway
Mercado_Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #89
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
[...] I would be happy to try a few comparisons with you. PM me and let's figure out how to proceed.
Cool, done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Sure, let's do it
Mercado Negro, I've included you in the recipients of my PM to Richie as well. Let's think of a few good examples.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #90
Banned
Human being with feelings
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Unwired (probably in the proximity of Amsterdam)
Posts: 4,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandry View Post
Moog 4 pole filter for nebula: www.rhythminmind.net/STN/?p=1733
Thanks! Seems to be exactly the sort of example I was looking for. Too bad there is no 'dry' example, which makes it harder to discern what the filter exactly does.
__________________
˙lɐd 'ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıploɥ ǝɹ,noʎ
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #91
xphen0m
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
While I AM a huge Nebula fan, when I am needing a quicker and less CPU intensive plugin for console emulation, the Stripbus suite is awesome. Yes you are correct about the grouping. And the channel inserts can be used for subtle ducking, and that alone is worth the price, it really lends a "gluing" quality and very subtle sense of placement. All of the Sknote plugins (the newer grey line) are worth every penny and more.
Awesome. I just bought StripBus a few hours ago, but have to wait until Friday to receive it. SKNote is closed, and new orders won't be processed until the 18th, which is Friday.
xphen0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #92
richie43
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphen0m View Post
Awesome. I just bought StripBus a few hours ago, but have to wait until Friday to receive it. SKNote is closed, and new orders won't be processed until the 18th, which is Friday.
Good choice. Take some time to learn it, it's "deep".
__________________
http://soundyaudio.com/ The Sounds of the Hear and Now
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #93
DJ ALX
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Athens - Hellas
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
Well I am biased. I critic even what I use, the good and bad

I have Waves NLS
And I use Sknote stripbus + Waves NLS

Something is happening in SKnote StripBus that I really like. Mixed with NLS it is impressive.

Although I know it, and I am not dumb, nothing is like a studder 16 track tape recorder. However this digital realm is almost there, maybe in a few more years.


I really like the mix of Sknote stripbus + Waves NLS+ Voxengo Warmifier= a very nice and soft sound
How are you using both plugins? Both on a channel or some Stripbus there and a few NLS here?

I just came back from my studio and I mixed with both of them today.
After the sound shaping plugins i placed a StripBus and then an NLS.
I like StripBus cos of the ducker feature. The Gain and EQs dont seem that much responsive.
I like NLS cos of the color, the gain and the crosstalk.

Stripbus is 2 in 2 out so after that I put a stereo NLS channel even if its a mono kick or snare.

At the master I dont put a stripBUS. Just the NLS Buss.

How are you using these two togother? Any conflicts? Any best way of using them to gain as much as possible? Do you have the old stripbus or the latest version?

Thanks.
DJ ALX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #94
John McNeill
Human being with feelings
 
John McNeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
Default

year ago, when i didn't knew what console does, I used Satson, i liked it
3 month ago, ,when i knew what console does, I used NLS, i liked it so much
so... now I don't use console emulation. For me, it's most important think to make great mix without phase distortion and aliasing issues = clean, punchy mix
but... I wanna start using Satson now
John McNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #95
HOFX
Human being with feelings
 
HOFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 381
Default

Just bought VCC/VTM/FG-X, no looking back now.

Everything just mixes easier, at least less radical EQs. Convinced me that learning audio engineering with a crisp clean digital DAW is probably the hardest way to do it, which I know sounds against intuition, probably because it shows all the warts.
HOFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.