Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 05-27-2019, 06:38 AM   #1
Vagelis
Human being with feelings

Default Envelope_bend curve - Don't change the points from linear to bezier

To my surprise i found out that when we bend the curve of an envelope with linear points,it automatically changes the shape to bezier.

This is not how it should be, because when we go back to 0, the curve should be linear again and not change to bezier.

some examples:

Reaper

How it should be:

FLstudio

Studio One

Last edited by Vagelis; 05-27-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:50 AM   #2
NAD

I agree.
NAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #3
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
To my surprise i found out that when we bend the curve of an envelope with linear points,it automatically changes the shape to bezier.

This is not how it should be, because when we go back to 0, the curve should be linear again and not change to bezier.
The mouse modifier is named "Edit envelope segment curvature", but it would have been more accurate to name it "Change envelope segment to Bézier curve". Bézier is the only type of segment shape that REAPER offers that allows variable curvatures, so any segment whose curvature is edited, must inevitable change to Bézier.

All the other segment shapes (square, fast start, etc) face the same problem: to edit their curvature even slightly, they must be changed to Bézier.

I am therefore not sure that this is an issue that can be improved -- at least not to everyone's satisfaction:
* How close must the mouse move to its original position, before REAPER snaps the curve back to its original straight linear shape? (What if a user wants to do just a tiny adjustment of the segment?)
* Would it not be easier to simply undo if you decide not to change the curve, or use an action to reset the curve shape?
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM   #4
Neutronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
To do what you want, Alt + Double Click the envelope segment instead of bending it back to zero.

It will trigger "Reset envelope segment curvature" action and change it back to linear (assuming you didn't remap the mouse modifier).

Neutronic is offline   Reply With Quote