Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #81
Maseratialfa
Human being with feelings

I picked up 5 fenders, the soldano, and 3 oranges. All of them sound pretty nice but I have been using the rockverb today for recording. Somehow I have managed to tweak it into a nice Hiwatt sound. Now I hope someday they release a Hiwatt CP 103, or 504. Then I'd only need one amp. Overall I think it's a good release and I'm happy to get one more thing off of the bit bridge.
Maseratialfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #82
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maseratialfa View Post
I picked up 5 fenders, the soldano, and 3 oranges. All of them sound pretty nice but I have been using the rockverb today for recording. Somehow I have managed to tweak it into a nice Hiwatt sound. Now I hope someday they release a Hiwatt CP 103, or 504. Then I'd only need one amp. Overall I think it's a good release and I'm happy to get one more thing off of the bit bridge.
Did you get the princeton? Next month that is what I'll try.....I've fender since it came out so it and the 57 are of the most interest.
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #83
calico6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
So did anyone else buy any? I always have a couple of bucs laying around in my paypal account so I I got the 45 credit which did the soldano, tiny terror, and the 1-12 cab from orange.
Had a look but backed off when I did some ab'ing between A3, GR4, Waves GTR Solo and Studio Devil. I was looking for clean sounds (have all I want for od and shredding) and was surprised with the results. For clean harmonically rich sounds SD came out winner hands down in my view, followed by GR4. I liked the amps in A3 but they sounded boxy compared to the other top 2 (eg; A3 57 Deluxe up against GR4 Tweedman and SD Matchless for example). It's all fairly subjective and depends on what you're doing but I was very surprised by the tests. The other thing with SD is even though it's 32bit it's very efficient bridged in 64bit whereas A3 is still a cpu gutz and GTRSolo is a big song and dance (as with all things waves)to install and then doesn't work in 64 at all. I hope NI follow IK though and do single amp purchases for GR4 free, that would be cool cause I kinda liked the tweed too.
PS: Forgot to mention, the only amp in A3 that came close to SD in my view was the 65 Twin but I've already got that cause I've got the A2 Fender which is damn good.

Last edited by calico6; 04-17-2011 at 11:01 PM.
calico6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #84
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico6 View Post
I liked the amps in A3 but they sounded boxy compared to the other top 2 (eg; A3 57 Deluxe up against GR4 Tweedman and SD Matchless for example).
I think the boxiness depends mostly on what IR-s you use - the cab section or external IR-s.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #85
jax

Soldano with it's matched cabinet sounds great for me \m/
jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #86
chrisharbin

Quote:
Had a look but backed off when I did some ab'ing between A3, GR4, Waves GTR Solo and Studio Devil. I was looking for clean sounds (have all I want for od and shredding) and was surprised with the results. For clean harmonically rich sounds SD came out winner hands down in my view, followed by GR4. I liked the amps in A3 but they sounded boxy compared to the other top 2 (eg; A3 57 Deluxe up against GR4 Tweedman and SD Matchless for example). It's all fairly subjective and depends on what you're doing but I was very surprised by the tests. The other thing with SD is even though it's 32bit it's very efficient bridged in 64bit whereas A3 is still a cpu gutz and GTRSolo is a big song and dance (as with all things waves)to install and then doesn't work in 64 at all. I hope NI follow IK though and do single amp purchases for GR4 free, that would be cool cause I kinda liked the tweed too.
PS: Forgot to mention, the only amp in A3 that came close to SD in my view was the 65 Twin but I've already got that cause I've got the A2 Fender which is damn good.
Ah.

I wish SD was x64
Old 04-17-2011, 11:48 PM   #87
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax View Post
Soldano with it's matched cabinet sounds great for me \m/
When you say matched are you talking about the metal t1?
Old 04-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #88
calico6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
I think the boxiness depends mostly on what IR-s you use - the cab section or external IR-s.
I know that can affect the outcome but it wasn't that. I thought that was the reason so I tried every mic type, placement and cab option available. Believe me it would have been a lot cheaper for me if A3 did the job (at $25) so I tried everything to get close but SDII is just that much better. To put it into words I would describe SDII as sounding like a three dimensional harmonically rich almost perfectly mic'd guitar amp. GR4 is 2 dimensional and not so well mic'd and a little thin sounding with A3 simply 1 dimensional and a poor result after much messing around to get mic placement which was a long way from what I was looking for. Hit a harmonically rich chord in SD and you can hear every nuance of that chord, not so with the others. It also responed more like a real amp with block and vamp chords the absolute bomb, it's the first time I've jammed on a guitar out of sheer enjoyment for ages. I would add though that testing was done at 24/96 with a well aged 335 and another lead guitar with nicely aged 25 year old Seymour Duncans. You probably won't hear a great deal of difference at 16/44 on a $199 generic twanger from that discount music warehouse down the road. Cheers, Cal.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #89
jax

Quote:
When you say matched are you talking about the metal t1?
Yes, 4x12 Metal T 1
Old 04-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #90
calico6

Quote:
Ah.

I wish SD was x64
Yeah, be 10/10 if it was.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #91
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax View Post
Yes, 4x12 Metal T 1
Have you tried it with the orange 1-12? Was wondering if I was the only one who thought that was a pretty mental setup.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:20 AM   #92
jax

Quote:
Have you tried it with the orange 1-12? Was wondering if I was the only one who thought that was a pretty mental setup.
I haven't tried that, but everything that sounds good is good.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:22 AM   #93
mikolo

Hmmm... I still can't get this plug in to show up - I've tried it with the reaper alpha and I can load the plug in ( but then it crashes) ... But it's not showing at all in reaper 3 , despite them using the same plugin folder.
mikolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:25 AM   #94
jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikolo View Post
Hmmm... I still can't get this plug in to show up
Did you "Clean cache/re-scan"?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #95
newi123

I love the fact it is free - would never have tried it otherwise as it's an expensive purchase and I didn't know if my machine would run it well & if I'd use it.

Downloaded onto my netbook and I was right in thinking the standalone version wouldn't run too well...... oh well - can't expect miracles.

But - it works well as a plugin run through Reaper, being used to process an already recorded track. Just not quite fast enough to record and monitor - So i've already found other uses for it. (It may also be more usable when I finally put my hand in my pocket and buy a good interface)

Use 1) speaker cab / mic simulation. The free download comes with 4 cabs and 3 (?) mics and the speaker sim runs even when you turn off the amp model. Therefore I can record using a hardware modeller (digitech rp155) so have no latency issues, without using the digitech cab model and then add the Amplitube plugin purely for the cab model and mic placement / room mic to the recorded track - much more control. Also only costs 5 credits to add more cabs if I ever want to do that.

Use 2) re-amping - I now intend to record every guitar track 'doubled' so one track going through the rp155 for direct monitoring and a second dry which I will then reamp through Amplitube later if I want to. The netbook will cope with this! BTW what is the best way to split the signal from the guitar to the interface - standard stomp box with stereo out or something else?

Use 3) reverb - I'd been after a good vintage reverb model for a while and see that Amplitube has an outboard fender reverb unit for adding in the fx lists - has anyone tried this? - does it work well on other tracks in addition to guitars? If so I can then just use it as a vintage reverb bus.

So, all in all, happy days!

Last edited by newi123; 04-18-2011 at 06:51 AM.
newi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #96
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
And now AmpliTube 3 FREE is on that free list.
You mean AmpliTube FREE*
Old 04-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #97
politcat

Quote:
It's all fairly subjective and depends on what you're doing ...
to say the least.

I sure don't hear SD as hands down winner. The parameters don't even respond the same way in parallel models in SD and AT
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #98
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I am personally loving AT3 Free. Even without any Custom Shop purchases, there's just so many usable options here. In fact, after finally getting time to sit down with my guitar, I did some quick tweaks, started playing and after getting lost in the musical moment, two hours later realised that this is precisely what I had been looking for for clean, crunchy and lead sounds for my music.

Here's a couple of screen grabs of my crunch and lead sound settings using just the included amps and cabs (I added a little stereo delay and a touch of Pristine Space reverb in REAPER to taste).....

Lead amp settings....

Crunch amp settings....

Cabinet settings, same for both the above amp settings (Even though there's two direct mics shown, I'm only using the AKG and the room mics)....

Old 04-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #99
ObiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
You mean AmpliTube FREE*
No I mean AmpliTube 3 FREE. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/guitarbasssoftware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
I am personally loving AT3 Free. Even without any Custom Shop purchases, there's just so many usable options here. In fact, after finally getting time to sit down with my guitar, I did some quick tweaks, started playing and after getting lost in the musical moment, two hours later realised that this is precisely what I had been looking for for clean, crunchy and lead sounds for my music.

Here's a couple of screen grabs of my crunch and lead sound settings using just the included amps and cabs (I added a little stereo delay and a touch of Pristine Space reverb in REAPER to taste).....

Lead amp settings....

Crunch amp settings....

Cabinet settings, same for both the above amp settings (Even though there's two direct mics shown, I'm only using the AKG and the room mics)....

Presets! Presets! Presets!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #100
Dannii

Quote:
....Presets! Presets! Presets!
Oops!! Just realised I spelled cruNch wrong!!! Doh!

Those presets are literally my first few minutes of tweaking with AT3. The two hours after saving them was spent playing and I forgot that I was testing a plugin!!!! In fact, I spent more time messing about with pick position, pickup selection and playing technique than I did with tweaking AT3.... and that is a good thing. It is exactly what I'd be doing if I was testing a new amp. The less I have to tweak a plugin to make it sound real, the more it IS behaving like a real amp IMHO.

So yes, I guess you could say I do indeed like AT3.

Now, if IK can just sort out the purchasing of extra Custom Shop modules and transferring them to an OFFLINE studio DAW, that would prompt me to start investigating some Custom Shop purchases.
In the meantime, I am more than impressed with the free offerings in AT3.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #101
kindafishy

I can't believe this hasn't turned into an 'X amp sim is a better than A3' thread.

kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #102
ObiK

Quote:
Oops!! Just realised I spelled cruNch wrong!!! Doh!

Those presets are literally my first few minutes of tweaking with AT3. The two hours after saving them was spent playing and I forgot that I was testing a plugin!!!! In fact, I spent more time messing about with pick position, pickup selection and playing technique than I did with tweaking AT3.... and that is a good thing. It is exactly what I'd be doing if I was testing a new amp. The less I have to tweak a plugin to make it sound real, the more it IS behaving like a real amp IMHO.

So yes, I guess you could say I do indeed like AT3.

Now, if IK can just sort out the purchasing of extra Custom Shop modules and transferring them to an OFFLINE studio DAW, that would prompt me to start investigating some Custom Shop purchases.
In the meantime, I am more than impressed with the free offerings in AT3.
I had the same problem during testing!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #103
Dannii

Quote:
...Presets! Presets! Presets!
I just posted these two presets in the Preset XChange.... with the spelling FIXED!!
They're posted as "Dannii Lead 1" and "Dannii Crunch 1".

As I said, these are just very rough and ready tweaks which I will no doubt play around with. I'll post the updates too.

Here's the direct download links....

Dannii Lead 1

Dannii Crunch 1

Last edited by Dannii; 04-18-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Dannii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #104
MichaJo

Quote:
I just posted these two presets in the Preset XChange.... with the spelling FIXED!!
They're posted as "Dannii Lead 1" and "Dannii Crunch 1".

As I said, these are just very rough and ready tweaks which I will no doubt play around with. I'll post the updates too.

Here's the direct download links....

Dannii Lead 1

Dannii Crunch 1
Unfortunately i can't download any preset. Every time i try it i get a message box saying:
To download this preset, you need these "powered by AmpliTube" products:

- Amplitube 3

I think with Amplitube 3 FREE which i've downloaded and installed and played with over the last few days i'm not allowed to download presets.

Michael
MichaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #105
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaJo View Post
Unfortunately i can't download any preset. Every time i try it i get a message box saying:
To download this preset, you need these "powered by AmpliTube" products:

- Amplitube 3

I think with Amplitube 3 FREE which i've downloaded and installed and played with over the last few days i'm not allowed to download presets.

Michael
Really? I created those presets with AT3 free. Hmmm... Perhaps ObiK can chime in here and clarify.

Edit - I just tried to download my own presets and got the same error message. I don't see the point of uploading these if we can't download them!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #106
Guncho

I think I can clear this up.

1 Danni didn't download these presets. She created them.

2 You can't run a preset that requires amps/fx, etc that you don't have.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #107
Dannii

I just uploaded these presets to Shup. Try this....

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/498380/Dannii-Presets.zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guncho View Post
I think I can clear this up.

1 Danni didn't download these presets. She created them.

2 You can't run a preset that requires amps/fx, etc that you don't have.
They were created with the stock amps/cabs that come with AT3 Free. I have not yet made any Custom Shop purchases.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #108
Dannii

This is ridiculous!!! What is going on with Shup? I get a NOD32 virus alert which blocks the Shup download I just created!!
There's nothing wrong with that file. I HAVE NOD32 as my A/V and the file was created on this computer!!!!! What gives?!

Nevermind... just found this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Found a way to block NOD32 blocking shup.com.

1. Open NOD32
2. Activate Advanced mode display
3. Go to Setup->Antivirus and antispyware->Web access protection->Configure...
4. Expand "HTTP" in the tree to the left, then select "Excluded addresses"
5. Press "Add" and enter *shup.com*
6. Press OK twice and that's it!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #109
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Yes yes I forgot to add the version number. AmpliTube 3 "FREE" definitely does not belong in the list of actual freeware.

But I'll let you get on with your marketing.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #110
chrisharbin

Oh I'm feeling feisty, why not .....

Do you live on an organic farm with only wind power and fuel made from chickens? I wonder what "marketing" you fall for?

My point isn't to be a s...thead but to point out that I'm sure there is something in your life that has to do with "marketing" whether it's your job, business, OR the products you buy
Old 04-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #111
Dannii

Quote:
Oh I'm feeling feisty, why not .....

Do you live on an organic farm with only wind power and fuel made from chickens? I wonder what "marketing" you fall for?

My point isn't to be a s...thead but to point out that I'm sure there is something in your life that has to do with "marketing" whether it's your job, business, OR the products you buy
I was going to hold my tongue but you've inspired me!!

Another analogy could be if I owned a DVD rental store and gave away a DVD player to one of my customers with two free DVD's. The DVD player and the DVD's are both free but in order to watch more DVD's, one would have to either buy or rent more DVD's. That doesn't mean that the DVD player and the two DVD's given away were not free.
Same thing IMHO with AT3 Free. I can use it as is for as long as I wish with the included amps and cabs for free. I have the option of adding more amps and cabs via online purchase but I am under no obligation to do so.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #112
ObiK

Quote:
Really? I created those presets with AT3 free. Hmmm... Perhaps ObiK can chime in here and clarify.

Edit - I just tried to download my own presets and got the same error message. I don't see the point of uploading these if we can't download them!!!
Downloading now...
Old 04-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #113
ObiK

Worked fine here. And that was from AmpliTube 3 FREE to AmpliTube 3 full version.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #114
chrisharbin

Quote:
I was going to hold my tongue but you've inspired me!!

Another analogy could be if I owned a DVD rental store and gave away a DVD player to one of my customers with two free DVD's. The DVD player and the DVD's are both free but in order to watch more DVD's, one would have to either buy or rent more DVD's. That doesn't mean that the DVD player and the two DVD's given away were not free.
Same thing IMHO with AT3 Free. I can use it as is for as long as I wish with the included amps and cabs for free. I have the option of adding more amps and cabs via online purchase but I am under no obligation to do so.

(arrrrrrrrrrrg, curses not being able to simply post the "wink" )
Old 04-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #115
Dannii

Quote:
Downloading now...
Hmmm... perhaps there's a glitch here.

This is what I get when I try to download.....

Old 04-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #116
Dannii

Quote:

(arrrrrrrrrrrg, curses not being able to simply post the "wink" )
Old 04-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #117
Obitheincredible

Wrong account....
Old 04-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #118
ObiK

Quote:
Hmmm... perhaps there's a glitch here.

This is what I get when I try to download.....

Did you click on the name in red letters?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #119
Dannii

Quote:
Did you click on the name in red letters?
Yep. That's when the 'buy now' popup came up.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #120
ObiK

I'm on it, give me a bit to see whats up.