Old 03-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
charles.monteiro
Human being with feelings

Default what's the deal with notation

I'm sure that this borders as a non topic for this forum but since Reaper is quickly becoming the tool that I use for prototyping and upfront recording/mix , I thought I ask , plus you all have been so helpful

So it first was Finale , a nightmare and I know people love it but as a newbie I could not get past it, then I moved into Sibelius better but still.

I don't do much of any elaborate scoring but what I want to be able to do is to notate my melody so that I can create a scratch midi track to run with the rest of the parts, some of them also scratch midi but some recorded. I find it easier to prototype tunes this way i.e. handle change better in my melody and how that affects the changes etc.

What I'm trying to get at is that I want a very simple tool that allows me to notate and do simple things such as nudge over an entire phrase, just do the entering and manipulations of notes in a very intuitive clean way. I could care less if the tool print out looks like crap. I just want to generate a scratch midi file. I would be okay with using a piano roll type interface as long as I could nudge things over easy, copy and paste entire phrases etc and handle triplet subdivision. FruityLoops if I recall allows for that but I don't believe that the midi editor in Reaper does. That I will check tonite once I get home.

But if anybody has a mysterious gem for notation to do what I describe above, pls let me know.

thanks again
charles.monteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

There's some sort of freeware notation thingy that has been adapted to work with Reaper, I believe - search the forum for "notation" or "score" and you should come up with some previous discussions with hints & tips.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Rann

Go to http://www.chordsoftware.com/ and read the info, maybe it's what you are looking for. I tried it shortly before I downloaded reaper so I haven't gotten back to experimenting with it. I prefer to "mouse" in the notes so it looked really handy.

rann
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
charles.monteiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rann View Post
Go to http://www.chordsoftware.com/ and read the info, maybe it's what you are looking for. I tried it shortly before I downloaded reaper so I haven't gotten back to experimenting with it. I prefer to "mouse" in the notes so it looked really handy.

rann
thanks , I tried it out and at least got how to nudge notes over quicker than Sibelius. Dropping notes is just as easy. No triplets though. This may be good enough to do most of the work. thanks

Frankly, with regards to the whole midi in Reaper debate which I see got quite heated I would personally be quite happy with Reaper just letting me spawn an external midi editor and it probably does already. My issues with notation software are more with the notation software. Having said that being able to view notation in Reaper would be useful and especially if I could somewhat correlate where I'm in the notation with regards to where I'm in Reaper. Bar numbers in the notation view would probably suffice.

I would certainly be happy with doing the editing outside of Reaper. My gut feeling is that there are two many editors out there already available that it would probably not make sense to burn the cycles with Justin working on this i.e. on an edit capable Notation view. A read only is worthwhile. I'm wondering if a component by a third party can't be dropped in as some ActiveX , Ole component.
charles.monteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
fab

Yes! I totally agree. (Any! even the ugliest) Notation view allows you to just improvise when you got a good thing going on and then go back to see what you have actually done so you can bring something back to the next band rehearsal. With this, Reaper would be perfect!

It's good practice to figure out stuff by ear but it's slow. And have you ever tried to figure out a bunch of quickly played jazz chords in the piano roll editor?

Of course, some blank space to type in chord symbols would be nice (just typing, no complex set of rules how they appear in print)then.

Fab
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #6
Rann

Charles,
If you run across a reasonably priced notation editor please let me know. I was disappointed to find out that chords couldn't handle triplets. Oh well. I've been searching for something that would make midi-notation life easier off and on for several years. At the moment I can get around the need for notation so it's not mission-critical. It would just be handy to have.

peace,
r
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote