Old 03-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
Revson
Human being with feelings

Default Wow kudos on the batch processing

I've had five Reaper instances running batch since about nine this morning (14 hours). The first batch just finished up - 4400 sample files without a hitch. To say I'm pleased is an understatement - I have other tools where batch processing is one of the main functions of the software, and none has performed reliably like this. And though I haven't benchmarked it, it seems Reaper is kicking some ass in the speed department also.

Thanks guys!

I'm on an early 8-core running 10.6.2.
Revson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
Dstruct

Maybe you can vote here http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1779 for even better performance (at least when running just a single REAPER instance).

Also this http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1782 needs to be improved ...
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
Revson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Maybe you can vote here http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1779 for even better performance (at least when running just a single REAPER instance).

Also this http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1782 needs to be improved ...
Yes, I was prompted to create the multiple instances when I noticed just a single core in play with the first batch. Thanks for the links.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Revson

Just to tidy up: the remaining 17,000 files are done without a hiccup. REAPER it is now for my batch processing. Thanks to all the REAPER folks for the superb design and coding.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
musicbynumbers

Just interested what processes you were doing?
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Revson

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Just interested what processes you were doing?
Pitchtech pitch shift VST on highest quality setting (6) operating on 64-bit files at 44.1 kHz.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
musicbynumbers

On all 4400 samples?

Are you working on the next "alvin and the chipmunks" film? lol
Old 03-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
Revson

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
On all 4400 samples?

Are you working on the next "alvin and the chipmunks" film? lol
Nah, these are string samples that weren't sampled chromatically, and I don't want to leave things to the sampler's resampling...when you add up all the samples and releases for all articulations, it's 4400 samples for each semitone to re-pitch.

Hey, I was around for the original Chipmunks, and when a certain style of R&B singing evolved a few years ago (which I internally refer to as "chipmunk coloratura") I imagined it was only a matter of time for a revival of Alvin and his pals.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
musicbynumbers

Autotune is like marmite..

..you either hate it or love it and I F'ing hate it!

You can guess my opinion on autotune from that!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
lawrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revson View Post
Pitchtech pitch shift VST on highest quality setting (6) operating on 64-bit files at 44.1 kHz.
Hi Revson,

Did you particularly find pitchtech pitchshifter better quality than Reaper's ? Care to elaborate why you chose pitchtech instead of others?
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
Revson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrs View Post
Hi Revson,

Did you particularly find pitchtech pitchshifter better quality than Reaper's ? Care to elaborate why you chose pitchtech instead of others?
I've found string sections a challenge for all the pitch shifting tools. Multiple instruments all playing the note but not quite at the same time or same manner. Add to that I'm shifting as much as three semitones - not a walk in the park.

Elastique is terrific in general, on voices in particular I think. To my ear it's right at the top of tools available for this stuff (Melodyne, Serato, X-form, Radius).

But I find the success of any of these highly material dependent. I'd tried Melodyne and Elastique (all variants) on these sustains and short articulations and didn't hear what I wanted. So I thought I'd run everything through Pitchtech (who make a great, uhm, "pitch" regarding a couple new ways of doing things) and see what I'd get.

I've only looked closley thus far at the short arts at 3 semitones down - suffice to say that without formant correction Pitchtech doesn't do the whole job. There's something very nice though about the detail around the bow noise, the brushy sound of the transient is quite nice.

So I've taken to massaging the Pitchtech shorts - a dab of formant correction from Elastique, some transient modeling via Sonnox...and last but not least, recovering some of the depth and motion lost in the stereo image with Nugen's new stereo tool which is f#@cking fantastic. A real breakthrough tool IMHO. I've arrived at a somewhat convoluted approach (sans convolution) that has these 3 semitone-shifted spicatti sounding damn near like they were recorded not crafted.

The Pitchtech stuff is about more than Pitch shifting...the sines/noise/transient separating plugins are especially useful, and as a matter of fact I forgot above to mention they're an essential part of this chain I've set up.

If I can carve the time I'll get some stuff off the studio machine and up on a post here.

Cheers.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #12
lawrs

Thank you very much for that detailed information. I've downloaded Pitchtech plugins (massive collection, might i say!) and played around with the pitch shifter a little. While the shifts are surprisingly good , I'd have to increase my buffer which is at 128 samples currently. Does increasing the quality reduce artifacts or does it actually preserve the transients better ? Whats your opinion on this ? Thanks and have a good day .
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote