Old 11-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #161
BeardedGnome
Human being with feelings

Default Issues ignoring project tempo

Setting Reaper recorded MIDI base to Time is still affected by tempo, changing Source Properties to ignore project tempo doesn't seem work correctly either.

I recorded from my MIDI keyboard directly into Reaper. In the past I've set MIDI items to Time base and then used tap tempo, the MIDI is now still affected by changing tempo despite being set to time.

In the past I've used the time base this way and it worked but now no matter what the MIDI base is it changes with tempo.

I also tried going into the Source settings and selecting 'ignore project tempo'. The problem with this is that as soon as I turn that off the MIDI stretches with the project tempo again, even when its base is time!

I want the MIDI to temporarily change tempo so I can quantize. Then I want it to follow the project tempo so I can automate tempo changes. Using 'detect tempo' does not come close to the correct tempo in this case so I can't use that.
BeardedGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #162
Joe90

Not sure if this belongs here or in a separate thread - but the action - 'SWS/FNG: Quantize item positions and MIDI note positions to grid' is not quantizing midi notes correctly when swing grid is enabled.
Joe90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:22 AM   #163
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Not sure if this belongs here or in a separate thread - but the action - 'SWS/FNG: Quantize item positions and MIDI note positions to grid' is not quantizing midi notes correctly when swing grid is enabled.
Since it's about functionality provided by SWS extension it's best reported on the SWS issue tracker.
https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/issues

I've put a note in a related issue:
https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/issues/1137
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #164
DUCKETT

Looked at the list of bugs, didn't find this particular issue:
intermittency of successful MIDI signal propagation to new instrument channel.

Just to get this out of the way: REAPER is 5.9.8.2, system is Win 7 (x64) SP1 Home, MIDI controller is an Axiom 61, audio interface is a Saffire Pro 14.

Sometimes, it's a particular VSTi; the track shows the little red line indicating MIDI signal, but the VSTi sometimes won't "wake up" until pressing a key on its virtual keyboard (if it has one), which for whatever obscure reason works.

Other times, there's not even the MIDI indicator signal; if a VSTi has a keyboard or sequencer, those will work- but no amount of resetting all MIDI devices, unplugging/replugging the Axiom's USB connector and refreshing, closing/re-opening the project, or deleting the track and creating a new one, is likely to work.

I've also made sure REAPER's got plenty of memory and HD space to work with, so that's not a factor.

I've tried also switching the MIDI driver from the Axiom to MIDI4ALL, the Saffire MIDI, and even tried LoopBe to see if it would help.

What's got me posting is not that it's a constant issue, but one that's impossible (for me, at least) to predict or pin down and eliminate.

If the very fine folks at Cockos really want to guarantee more converts to REAPER, they might consider designating a larger chunk of time and energy to making this thread a dusty, forgotten relic. It's not NEARly as horrific, but MIDI-as-afterthought was the issue that frustrated me the most with (and drove me away from) ACID, and what I tried to replace ACID with, Sonar X1. Perhaps bad-MIDI-PTSD is coloring my thinking