Filmusic
Human being with feelings

very nice!
Cheers
S
Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #42
Itch

Sorry to drag up an old thread, just didn't see the point in starting a new one for the same topic.....

Anyways, HOPI the guide is awesome, really helped me a lot. I just have a question about the setting up of MIDI channels for each of the sends as well as the audio receive channels. Do I NEED to do this? I managed to set my drums up using only the VST channel, sending each output to my audio receive channels respectively and recording my midi onto the VST channel. This seemed to work out fine but I want to know if I'm missing something fundamental or is this just another "reaper has many way" kinda thing. It seems easier for my work flow, but thinking it must be necessary to have individual MIDI tracks or you wouldn't have gone to the bother of explaining it all like that.... Hope I make sense....

Itch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #43
jiff 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itch View Post
Anyways, HOPI the guide is awesome, really helped me a lot.
the answer to the above question will interest me as well? (but it's great that it's finally starting to work! )
i have to read/do things a few times for it to sink in!!

Last edited by jiff 41; 01-22-2013 at 09:27 PM.
jiff 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #44
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itch View Post
Sorry to drag up an old thread, just didn't see the point in starting a new one for the same topic.....

Anyways, HOPI the guide is awesome, really helped me a lot. I just have a question about the setting up of MIDI channels for each of the sends as well as the audio receive channels. Do I NEED to do this? I managed to set my drums up using only the VST channel, sending each output to my audio receive channels respectively and recording my midi onto the VST channel. This seemed to work out fine but I want to know if I'm missing something fundamental or is this just another "reaper has many way" kinda thing. It seems easier for my work flow, but thinking it must be necessary to have individual MIDI tracks or you wouldn't have gone to the bother of explaining it all like that.... Hope I make sense....

yeah... you make sense... but can you make dollars!

no you don't have to do it that way... there can be reasons for it and also reason for 'not it'...

In the guide we are aimed at diff instruments so it makes more sense there...

for just drums perhaps no need...

it's just gonna depend on how YOU want to work...

In the guide we try to present the basics so anyone can begin to understand what is possible...
...so consider this... even with instruments in a vsti...

you 'could' do it all on one midi track... say with a sax, a bass, a string, a brass, etc. and instead of diff midi tracks, you could have each instrument's notes set to a diff midi channel... you see?

If your drum vsti can recieve on mulit midi chans, you could do the same there [or not]... like kick on midi chan 1, snare on 2, etc.....

In short I'd say if you are now getting what you want, ...great. And just keep the other possibilities in mind for later.

the more you work with these basic concepts the more fluid you become with them and can conive all sort of interesting variations.

Said another way: get comfy with the basics and then keep saying, "ok, now what if I did ....."
Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #45
jiff 41

A veryBIGthank you Hopi for your tutorial,template,etc, but most of all your PATIENCE my mind is flying every which way with "what if's" thanks again man!
BTW, i'm using inde free for drums & it sounds awesome!!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 AM   #46
Itch

I hadn't considered that the guide uses different instruments - doh! It's so easy to edit a drum pattern on one MIDI track, but that would be nightmare if it was 3 or 4 string parts - I hear ya!
Itch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #47
hopi

kewl guys... glad it's been helpful and that you seem to be having more fun now...

ummm... well even Inde free offers way more than drums...
Old 04-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #48
Thurgood

Default Still having problems hearing audio in project

Thanks for the template and project guide. I am still having problems "hearing: the audio output on the Organ and Sax parts.

I have set up the routing as indicated in the tutorial (I am sure I missed something). Ok here goes. Vst sampletank track 1 recv's midi just fine from all Midi to sound tracks (tracks 2,4,6). Midi to sound track 2 (bass) records midi, monitors audio and its associated audio track (track (3)records the output of Sampletank. All Ok when recording the bass part.

Not so with the others. For example: Arm track 4 (midi to Sound)Kebyd controller set to Midi Ch 2. Records midi information just fine but no audio monitoring (yes record monitoring button is green)and then it plays bakc the Bass not the organ. Sampletank showws outputs 3/4 as active but no sound? Help.

I have been over the routing repeatedly but I am just missing something. It seems like the output of the Sampletank is improperly routed or its master is turned down as sampletank outs 3/4 show playback but no sound.

Any help appreciated.
Thurgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #49
Thurgood

Default Thurgood again with screenshots

I hope these help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TCP vsti route.jpg (67.2 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg Sampletank route.jpg (64.7 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg VSTI route 1.jpg (49.7 KB, 292 views)
Old 04-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #50
DarkStar

^^^^
Can you post your problem in a new thread, and attach full size screenshots (I cannot see the details in the ones attached to above post
Old 04-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #51
Thurgood

Sure I will gladly open a new thread. I do not know how to make larger screen shots, I was lucky to get those. Can you tell me how? BTW your advice on this topic has been a great help. I will post late today once I finish up a few chores. Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #52
hopi

let's just take one of the tracks for starters... perhaps what we do will apply to the other:

OK your second intrument in ST, is getting midi OK as I read your post, correct?

but you do not hear the output of it as audio?

I can't see the screen shots very well either... but I assume in ST you have that set to output audio on 3/4

now I assume you have another track in reaper set to receive from the VSTi [ST]... we need to see very clearly what the IO settings are for that track. Get a free screen capture tool... google is your friend for that.

Now that audio track in reaper should have it's IO like so:

It should be a receive from VSTi ST, with Audio 3/4 > 1/2 and Midi NONE.

3/4 is what ST sends to it and 1/2 is what your Master Track uses to output sound.

In the above case, the "1/2" refers to your audio card outs, but the 3/4 refers to what ST sends to that track.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #53
RadioRed

Default Re-record audio from edited MIDI file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamingbill View Post
Hello,

Thanks Hopi - I worked my way through this and after a bit of twiddling at the end I got it working.

Am intrigued by the way it records both a midi and a wav file. Is the logic here that if you want to you can edit the midi file to make any required changes without going through the whole record procedure again ?

COuld I edit the midi file if I needed to and then copy it and attach the relevant vst as an effect on that midi file and then record again or render to a wav file?

Would an experienced user who knew what they were doing simply edit the midi file and then somehow chane the sends/recieves so that the new improved midi file gets recorded into the associated audio track as a wav file?

Or then again maybe I dont know enough about it yet to put into words what I'm trying to say ..............

Off to do some RTM'ing re routing

Regards

Bill
Bill, did you ever figure out how to do this? I've been pulling my hair out.

Best,
Steve
RadioRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #54
RadioRed

Default Thank-you, Hopi

The HopiMIDI Guide answered a lot of questions not addressed elsewhere, especially setting up more than one MIDI and audio pair.

Thanks again,
Steve
RadioRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #55
fulvia

Newbie here...

I use multi-timbral vst instruments a lot in an existing DAW. I'm struggling to get things set up having just begun trying out Reaper.
Came across the Hopi Guide for routing multi-out vsti s.

Can someone tell me, is it correct that the only way to do this, is to have a dedicated midi track and an audio track?

So, let's say I use a multi out vsti - I need one track for the vsti, then for each midi track I also need an audio track?
fulvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #56
DarkStar

There are many different ways to do it in Reaper.

You can have:
(a) One track for the VSTi AND for the MIDI AND for the output audio,
(b) One track for the VSTi AND for the MIDI, and several output audio tracks,
(c) One track for the VSTi, several input MIDI tracks, and several output audio tracks,
(d) One track for the VSTi, and several combined (input MIDI and output audio) tracks (but that introduces a possible feedback loop and PDC does not work).
If there is only one MIDI track, then, typically, MIDI routing is done within the plug-in using notes on different channels.

If there is only one output audio track, then, typically, mixing and FXing is done within the plug-in (e.g. in Kontakt's Output section).

It all depends on what you want to do ...
Old 03-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #57
fulvia

Thanks for the reply Darkstar...

Is it possible to have this? And let's say I'm using one multi-timbral VST:-

No audio tracks and no VSTi track itself, but just 16 midi tracks each playing one channel of the VSTi?

I think I'm nearly there with this, but seem to have problems with the midi controls - the vol slider on the track does not change the midi volume even though the track is set to link to midi.

The reason being, I don't want to see lots of track lanes and have to worry about different audio/vst instrument tracks.

Last edited by fulvia; 03-18-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #58
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulvia View Post
Is it possible to have this? And let's say I'm using one multi-timbral VST:-

No audio tracks and no VSTi track itself, but just 16 midi tracks each playing one channel of the VSTi?
Yes you can have 16 midi tracks, one for each channel, but you also have to have at least the VSTi track which can also serve as a single VSTi audio output track.

Quote:
I think I'm nearly there with this, but seem to have problems with the midi controls - the vol slider on the track does not change the midi volume even though the track is set to link to midi.
I've never tried to control a VSTi with the track controls and even if there's a way to do it (which I'm not sure there is an effective way to do it), it's not the best way. For the best individual control use the CC lanes in the Midi Editor, that's where all the magic is.

Quote:
The reason being, I don't want to see lots of track lanes and have to worry about different audio/vst instrument tracks.
Humm, sounds like you just want to use midi as if it were audio, you can do that if you render your midi to audio, but I guess that's sort of like, what comes first, the chicken or the egg?

I'm sorry fulvia, heh heh, I'm just being a little obnoxious here, but really and truly, get into the CC lanes, that's where your real midi power is at.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #59
fulvia

Thanks Tod.

Is there a straightforward way of setting a cc volume for a midi item using the midi editor / cc lanes. I mean without having to draw in an envelope?

Or...in the regular track view it seems velocity of a midi item/part can be altered, but could the line be dragged up and down in the part to adjust volume, just as it can in an audio part?

Last edited by fulvia; 03-18-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #60
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulvia View Post
Thanks Tod.

Is there a straightforward way of setting a cc volume for a midi item using the midi editor / cc lanes. I mean without having to draw in an envelope?
Hi fulvia, you don't have to draw an envelope, if you just want one volume level, simply double click in the CC7 lane to enter a CC7 event. Then drag that event to where you want it. Either that or right click on the event and select properties, then you can type the level in.

Quote:
Or...in the regular track view it seems velocity of a midi item/part can be altered, but could the line be dragged up and down in the part to adjust volume, just as it can in an audio part?
I don't think so, however, you can use the midi FX ReaControlMidi to use envelopes for it on each midi track. Then you can use a regular envelope like a track volume envelope. You can probably even just set the volume in the FX, I'm not sure, I've only used it for testing. If you use it as an automation envelope, be aware that the accuracy of it will depend on your audio buffer settings. If you have higher buffer settings, the density of the CCs are sharply reduced.

Put ReaControlMidi on a track and give it a try, it might be what you're looking for.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #61
ControllerC

Thank you Hopi!! That was very helpful- my scenario is a little different- Im a 13 yr cubaser that switched over to Reaper last fall, and this is what Im trying to do:

I want to make a template Reaper song file that has all my VST instruments of choice set up, those would be:
Addictive Drums 1
Sampletank 2.5 XL
VI One (20+gig sample library by Vir2 Instruments that uses the free ver of Kontakt 2 Player)
LM 4 MK2 (yes that old fossil Steinberg drum machine- wizoo made some cool stuff for it though)

Im thinking One midi track plus 3 Audio Tracks for Addictive Drums (1 Main audio output of AD's master fader plus 1 separate audio for Kick and one for Snare to add things like compression etc if desired since AD 1 only has reverb and eq fx).

4 Midi and 4 audio tracks for the Sampletank 2.5 XL

4 Midi and 4 audio tracks for the VI One

3 Midi and 3 audio tracks for the LM4 MK2

For fun I like to import midi files from the web and play around with song,.remix them etc- I also do a lot of step programming as well rather than hooking up midi instruments to my laptop- I do however have a Yamaha tabletop drumkit with midi outs that I plan to record midi with soon- so I should probably consider that in the template as well-

So my question is how do I make this template and how do I set up multiple vst's that each have multiple outs? This is probably too ambitious for a newbie in Reaper lol- but It was pretty easy to do in Cubase- I guess the trade off is Reaper gives way more mixing options.

Thanks for looking at this!

I almost forgot to add: Coloring the tracks is an excellent idea- now there are also track icons you can load in Reaper for each track- either your own custom image file or stock icons included with Reaper- this is also an excellent feature- I downloaded the box image for each of my plug ins to use as icons- Rad! see attached image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RprTrackIconCstm.jpg (63.8 KB, 281 views)

Last edited by ControllerC; 09-20-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added track icon image and praise
ControllerC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:14 AM   #62
DarkStar

Ambitious ? - a bit, but perfectly doable. And the following will take longer to read than to do.

For those plug-ins with one "MIDI" track (drums?)
  • right-click in the TCP area below any existing tracks
  • select "Insert virtual instrument on new track"
  • select the desired VSTi
  • click [Yes] on the "Build Routing confirmation" window; that will create tracks for all of the audio outputs from Battery,
Now you will have the VSTi on one track, automatically Armed for Recording from all Inputs, and several tracks for the audio outputs from the VSTi. Load your kit, and set it up as needed. You will need to route each drum kit piece or instrument to a different output within the VSTi.

Back in Reaper, delete the audio tracks that you do not need, name the others for their instruments (drum kit pieces), colour them and add / record the MIDI notes.

Here's one I prepared for Battery just now (I routed the Toms to Outs 5+6, so their audio is on track 4):

... Big pic: https://i.imgur.com/mYogXxu.png

For those plug-ins with multiple "MIDI" tracks, e.g. SampleTank

In SampleTank:
  • open the Preferences Setting window, by clicking the [Prefs] button on the right-hand side of the GUI,
  • drag the Number of Outputs up to 31+32
Then, in Reaper:
  • right-click in the TCP area below any existing tracks
  • select "Insert virtual instrument on new track"
  • select SampleTank 2.5
  • click [Yes] on the "Build Routing confirmation" window; that will create tracks for all of the audio outputs from SampleTank 2.5,
  • open the FX window for the SampleTank 2.5 track (click the [fx] button)
  • select [Options] >> "Build 16 channel of MIDI routing to this track"
  • disable RecArm on the SampleTank 2.5 track (you will be using the RecArm buttons on the MIDI tracks
Now you will have 16 tracks sending MIDI (on channels 01 ... 16 respectively) to SampleTank 2.5 and 16 tracks for the audio outputs from SampleTank 2.5.

In SampleTank:
  • load your instruments and set the routing for each one: receiving MIDI on a particular MIDI channel (the automatic default channels are OK for playing separate instruments) AND sending its audio to a particular audio output.

Back in Reaper, delete the MIDI and audio tracks that you do not need, name the others for their instruments, colour them and add / record the MIDI notes.

Once you have done all the plug-ins
  • select all the tracks
  • right-click and save them all as a Track Template.

This may help you understand the ST2 routing:
Old 09-21-2014, 02:16 AM   #63
DarkStar

As an embellishment, you can put tracks into folders so that you can collapse or expand the views. Or just hide the "MIDI" tracks in the Mixer and hide the "audio" tracks in the Arranger.

But, try that later on.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:19 AM   #64
ControllerC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
As an embellishment, you can put tracks into folders so that you can collapse or expand the views. Or just hide the "MIDI" tracks in the Mixer and hide the "audio" tracks in the Arranger.

But, try that later on.
Thanks DarkStar! Im going to try what you said- I can always delete whatever auto populated tracks I don't use so that sounds like the way to go-
Now trying to learn how to import a midi file onto the pre populated midi tracks from this template im about to build- if its do-able- checking the manual now
Old 09-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #65
DarkStar

^^^^
Create the "MIDI" tracks, drag the MIDI file onto the first of them and select to "Expand the MIDI tracks to new Reaper tracks" (set the "Import multichannel MIDI files" Preferences to "Always prompt" first).

NB: The MIDI notes on the tracks will be changed to a different channel when they are routed to the VSTi, so set your VSTi instrument channels up suitably.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #66
ControllerC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
^^^^
Create the "MIDI" tracks, drag the MIDI file onto the first of them and select to "Expand the MIDI tracks to new Reaper tracks" (set the "Import multichannel MIDI files" Preferences to "Always prompt" first).

NB: The MIDI notes on the tracks will be changed to a different channel when they are routed to the VSTi, so set your VSTi instrument channels up suitably.
I'm going to try that- wow- thanks!!
Old 09-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #67
ControllerC

2nd Reply: "Expand the MIDI tracks to new Reaper tracks"

If I choose that then that will create new midi tracks and put the midi channels on them rather than the ones I just created in sampletank already routed for sampletank?

If so its not really a big deal I should be able to just drag each midi part to where I want it to go- but I sure would be nice if there was a faster way- but I dont know the actual behavior, thats the gist I get but Im going to try it and find out
Old 09-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #68
ControllerC

Reply 3- Ok I tried some of these new tricks and ran into a problem, see video link for details, can anyone help? Importing a midi file has cancelled out all the auto routing on the auto generated midi tracks for Sampletank, see video! (in the video i say the tracks are vocal tracks, but I meant to say folder tracks.
Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvix...e_gdata_player
Old 09-22-2014, 01:41 AM   #69
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControllerC View Post
2nd Reply: "Expand the MIDI tracks to new Reaper tracks"

If I choose that then that will create new midi tracks and put the midi channels on them rather than the ones I just created in sampletank already routed for sampletank?
I created the 16 MIDI track first, dropped the multichannel MIDI file onto the first one, selected "Expand ..." and the file was expanded onto those existing tracks.

Those MIDI tracks are routed to ST2 using, for example "MIDI All => 4", so any MIDI notes on that Reaper track will be converted to be on MIDI Channel 04 (regardless of the MIDI channel embedded in the MIDI notes in the MIDI clip itself).

If the MIDI file is expanded onto NEW tracks, then they do not have any Sends at that point. If there are simply routed to ST2 then the notes will be sent on the MIDI channel(s) embedded in the MIDI notes in the MIDI clip itself.

Quote:
If so its not really a big deal I should be able to just drag each midi part to where I want it to go- but I sure would be nice if there was a faster way- but I dont know the actual behavior, thats the gist I get but Im going to try it and find out
If the MIDI file is expanded onto new separate Reaper tracks you could just Send each of those to the ST2 track (forget about generating the 16 empty "MIDI" tracks), then look at each MIDI clip (View Mode: Event List) to see on what channel its MIDI notes are, and set each instrument in ST2 to the appropriate channel

Quote:
Reply 3- Ok I tried some of these new tricks and ran into a problem, see video link for details, can anyone help? Importing a midi file has cancelled out all the auto routing on the auto generated midi tracks for Sampletank, see video! (in the video i say the tracks are vocal tracks, but I meant to say folder tracks.
Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvix...e_gdata_player
Does my explanation above help?

Put insertpizhere's MIDI Monitor on the ST2 track, in front of ST2, mute most of the "MIDI" tracks and you will be able to see exactly what MIDI is arriving at ST2.

Can you post your project AND the MIDI file here, ZIPPed-up, as an attachment so that we can see what's going on?
Old 09-22-2014, 02:21 AM   #70
DarkStar

And here's one I did just now (Allman Brothers Jessica)
  • insert ST2 on a new track, do not generate separate audio outputs (for simplicity),
  • drag the MIDI file from the Media Explorer onto an empty part of the Arranger, select "Expand to new tracks",
  • route each "MIDI" track to ST2, turning off the audio send and the MIDI button
  • look at the MIDI channel of the notes in each clip, I have added the channel to the track name, for clarity,
  • load the 9 instruments into ST2, in the appropriate slots
Job done. Here's the result; I've highlighted two instrument parts to show their settings. And the JanneHybrid theme as it shows the track names more easily

... Big pic: https://i.imgur.com/2NoJnb9.png
Old 09-22-2014, 03:52 AM   #71
ControllerC

"I created the 16 MIDI track first, dropped the multichannel MIDI file onto the first one, selected "Expand ..." and the file was expanded onto those existing tracks."

I didn't see the expand option, I saw the explode midi file option, see pic- is that the same thing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ExplodeMidi.jpg (55.4 KB, 204 views)
Old 09-22-2014, 04:38 AM   #72
DarkStar

I think that that does the same thing but I was referring to this:

when I drag the MID file in from the MEdia Explorer (NB: set the "Import multichannel MIDI files" Preferences to "Always prompt" first).
Old 09-22-2014, 05:05 AM   #73
ControllerC

Always prompt on a midi import is a good idea. When I exploded the tracks Reaper created 16 new midi tracks - and now that I think about it maybe that happened in the video also, I just didnt scroll down far enough to see them. So I checked the original 16 midi tracks and they were still routed correctly to Sampletank- so I just selected all 16 parts from the imported and exploded midi file (I selected the parts, not the tracks)and dragged them all at once onto the 16 blank pre routed for Sampletank midi tracks and so far its working great!! Then I just deleted the midi tracks created from the "explode midi by channel" command. Im feeling like I got past a big part of the Reaper learning curve (at least for my needs)- thanks again DarkStar! Im sure ill have more questions soon
Old 09-22-2014, 05:18 AM   #74
DarkStar

Good oh

Persevere and you'll find that once you get it, you really get it!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #75
stevewisnoski

Thanks much, Hopi. I downloaded your zip file and need to consider the info .
stevewisnoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #76
House W.

Default Thank you. a funny thing happend though

Thanks Hopi,

This tutorial was very very intuitive and the perfect pace for a newbie!

The one complication I seem to behaving is getting my midi keyboard ( Akia 49 ) to play the second and third instruments ( rather the "midi to sound 2 &3 ) in reaper. Iam able to trigger the both of them within ST, using its keyboard, but not from my midi keyboard.

I'm sure it probably a silly little fix but for the life of me I cannot fix it.

if anyone know what I'm doing wrong please HELPER! :-)

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Last edited by House W.; 12-04-2014 at 11:10 AM.
House W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #77
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by House W. View Post
Thanks Hopi,

This tutorial was very very intuitive and the perfect pace for a newbie!

The one complication I seem to behaving is getting my midi keyboard ( Akia 49 ) to play the second and third instruments ( rather the "midi to sound 2 &3 ) in reaper. Iam able to trigger the both of them within ST, using its keyboard, but not from my midi keyboard.

I'm sure it probably a silly little fix but for the life of me I cannot fix it.

if anyone know what I'm doing wrong please HELPER! :-)

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
I am not completely sure about what your problem actually is, but I'd suspect it is in the routing...

If you are doing the way I have said in that pdf guide, you should have one midi track for each instrument and also one audio track for each instrument.

The midi track should be sending to ST Audio>None and MIDI All > xx
where xx is the MIDI channel you see in ST.
Now remember that in ST you can change the MIDI channels for each instrument... so do look there and see what you have.
For example, let's say in ST you have two instruments, the first set to Channel 1 and the other to Channel 2...
Then your MIDI tracks have to match that:
MIDI track One sends MIDI All>1
MIDI track Two sends MIDI All>2

Then also in ST look at the Outputs since that is easy to miss cuz the damn numbers are very small...
Those Outs have to match the sends to the Audio Tracks that are receiving them...
I think this is quite clearly shown in the guide so perhaps study it again and make sure things are set correctly...
You could also post an example reaper project without the wav files to the reaper stash and give us the link to it...
That way DS or myself could have a look and make corrections.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #78
stevewisnoski

Thank you, Hopi, for all the work you put into this. It would take me some time to consider this much information.
stevewisnoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #79
House W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I am not completely sure about what your problem actually is, but I'd suspect it is in the routing...

If you are doing the way I have said in that pdf guide, you should have one midi track for each instrument and also one audio track for each instrument.

Now remember that in ST you can change the MIDI channels for each instrument... so do look there and see what you have.
For example, let's say in ST you have two instruments, the first set to Channel 1 and the other to Channel 2...

Then also in ST look at the Outputs since that is easy to miss cuz the damn numbers are very small...
Those Outs have to match the sends to the Audio Tracks that are receiving them...
I think this is quite clearly shown in the guide so perhaps study it again and make sure things are set correctly...
You could also post an example reaper project without the wav files to the reaper stash and give us the link to it...
Ok, I'll study it some more and see what mistakes I'm making. If I'm still having issues I'll post an example.

Again, thank you for your help!
Old 12-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #80
House W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post

I got it to work!!! I wasnt checking the 'Master/parent' box in ALL the audio I/O settings and unchecking them in ALL the midi ones. Also I it helps to unarm the ST VSTi track at the end of it all...unless you want to a layered instrument sound. Which isn't a bad thing:-). Now i can get back to making music:-D

Thanks again! You're awesome:-))

Last edited by House W.; 12-05-2014 at 06:26 AM.