Old 10-12-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default Changing loop tempo

I have recorded a couple of reels and thought it would be nice to add a bodhran loop (Irish drum). So I found a loop but the loop is 100 bmp whereas my reels are 160 bpm. I opened Media explorer and enabled the tempo match and start of bar but this does not alter the bpm of loop. How do I get the loop (a wave file) to match my tunes please?
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
domzy

if you know the tempo of each, all you need to do is divide your project tempo by your original in order to calculate the playrate, so in this specific case your bodhran would need a playrate of 1.6 - you can set this in item properties.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #3
Burnsjethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
if you know the tempo of each, all you need to do is divide your project tempo by your original in order to calculate the playrate, so in this specific case your bodhran would need a playrate of 1.6 - you can set this in item properties.
Domzy, thank you so much for answering. And excuse me for trying your patience, but I am really bad at maths, do you mind saying that again in really simple terms please?

My tune is 160, the loop is 100. What does a playrate of 1.6 mean?
And, trying your patience even more, what would I do exactly in item properties.

I am sorry, but I have quite a struggle getting round the concept of tempos in Reaper
Old 10-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #4
domzy

160 divided by 100 equals 1.6 - basically your tune is 1.6 times faster than your loop.
dbl click your bodhran item ( or press f2), there is a box called "playback rate" - type 1.6 in here
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #5
MusoBob

This will do it easily
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2187931#8

and here are 2 Bodhran's that will fit into Reaper with ReaTrak or you can drag them in.

http://reatrak.com/downloads/test_files/drums/

MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:50 AM   #6
Burnsjethro

Thanks very much Domzy. And thanks very much Musobob but I don't really know how to use Reapack.

Another of my struggles with tempo if you don't mind. I think I have discussed something similar before.

A friend sent a file with him singing and playing (acoustic guitar) at about 190 bmp, which I dragged into Reaper (set by default at 120).

Even though the tune is playing at about 190 it sounds perfectly OK in 120 (I can't understand why that is, however).

He plays in quite good time but sometimes speeds up or slows down a bit.

I have tried various things to rectify his speed (stretching, ... to no avail. All a bit beyond my capabilities.

Then decided to split his track up and deleted all the fills and just retain him and his voice (and some acoustic guitar work going on in the background - but it doesn't matter I am not shooting for radio-ready, just to please my friend (I won't go into the story of why he could not just rerecord the track with the right time).

I muted his track. I then sang and played the same tune with a click track in 120 (as his track sounds ok at that speed), with the idea of aligning his voice to mine, then deleting my vocal and retaining my guitar.

(then putting on a bit of backup, drums, ...)

The problem is when I finished recording neither tune was beating at the same time. I tried recording at 190 bpm (the same as his original track) but when I played the two tracks (his and mine), his had speeded up tremendously.

Sorry to be a pain in the neck with my tempo problems but if anyone has any (simply explained) suggestions, I would be most grateful.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:52 AM   #7
MusoBob

right click Save Link/Target As
Viente_X-Raym_BPM Converter.lua

Options > Show REAPER resource path..
copy the script to the Scripts folder
Actions > Show action list > load
Run Viente_X-Raym_BPM Converter.lua

Are you sure it's not 80bpm, you can set Reaper to 80bpm then drag the track in.

ReaTrak has a lot of tools for tempo mapping and it will also convert a tempo map to a constant tempo.

Have a look at Kenny's video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sQVeghwRsI
Old 10-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #8
Burnsjethro

Thanks a lot Musobob.

I saved your link. Opened up "Show REAPER resource path", opened Script folder in which I see a "Cockos" folder and a "Various" folder.

When you say "copy the script to the Scripts folder" do you mean I now look for the Scripts folder (using the path to the folder I have just discovered via "Show REAPER resource path") and place the "Viente_X-Raym_BPM Converter" file I saved into the Scripts folder next to the other two folders?
Old 10-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
Burnsjethro

"Are you sure it's not 80bpm, you can set Reaper to 80bpm then drag the track in."

You think the default bpm is 80?
Old 10-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #10
MusoBob

Sorry that was late last night, half of 190bpm > 95bpm

once the file is in the folder, when you click Load in the Actions window it should open in that folder then select that script.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #11
Burnsjethro

No need to apologise. I am the one who should be apologising.

Why would I halve the figure: "Sorry that was late last night, half of 190bpm > 95bpm"

"once the file is in the folder, when you click Load in the Actions window it should open in that folder then select that script. "

You mean I place the file in the script folder, and then click load in the Actions window. I apologise for not being very quick at picking this sort of stuff up.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #12
Burnsjethro

Thanks very much for all your help everyone.