Old 05-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

Default ASIO4ALL No Ouput

Can't get Reaper to make any sound using the ASIO4All driver. Switch over to Cubase using the same driver and it plays fine.

No output in Reaper no matter what ouput pair I select.

The second pair of outputs don't show up in Reaper. The drop down doesn't reflect the outputs reflected in the driver.

Those ouputs don't show in the matix either... only the first not the second.

Last edited by Lawrence; 05-24-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
spock

Make sue the MIDI to the MS GS Wavetable is disabled.

Prefs -> Audio -> MIDI Devices
spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
Lawrence

Midi? I won't ask why midi., I'll try it later when I get home.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Diogenes

From the ASIO4ALL site;

Quote:
Q: No sound on SigmaTel C-Major Audio...

A: Check the 'Force 16bit Samples' box! These devices were the reason why this box was introduced to begin with.

Q: No sound on SoundMax Digital Audio...

A: Check the 'Always Resample 44.1KHz...' option!

Q: Why does it sound muddy/why do I hear crackles in intervals of like 10 seconds or so when running at 44.1kHz where at 48kHz everything is fine?

A: These are typical resampling artifacts from poorly designed WDM drivers. Since version 1.7 beta 2, there is a check box 'Always Resample @44.1k'. When checked, ASIO4ALL will take care of the resampling business on its own, even if the card driver says it can do 44.1k - Alles wird galaktisch gut!

Q: What are the true latencies vs. what is displayed in the audio control panel?

A: (Version 1.x) Different applications calculate the latencies in different ways. ASIO4ALL reports to the application the latency it adds to the audio stream, but some applications chose to ignore the return values of the ASIOgetLatencies() function and use a rather naive calculation instead. But even if done properly, these calculations can never give accurate results. In Direct DMA Buffer mode, the reported latencies at least are pretty close to reality. Still there is always one big unknown: The time the audio information needs to travel from system memory into the output jacks of your sound card. This is entirely beyond any driver control. Same applies to pro audio gear with dedicated ASIO drivers, though. The latter usually work with fixed latency values that are added to the ASIO-inherent buffer latencies. Since these fixed values depend on the actual audio hardware, there is no way that ASIO4ALL can account for these parts of the device latency.
(Version 2.x) There now is an internal guess-o-matic which attempts to auto-compensate latencies for applications like e.g. Cubase that perform automatic ASIO latency compensation. Since this guess-o-matic does not always yield correct results, you can measure the actual round trip latency for audio (using a loopback cable) and adjust the sliders in the "Latency compensation" section of the ASIO4ALL v2 control panel accordingly.

Q: Why do I get an error 'Could not start ASIO' or some such? (READ THIS ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH LOGIC!)

A: (Version 1.x) ASIO4ALL requires exclusive access to the audio device. More often than not, starting the driver fails because the audio device is already in use. There are obvious instances, like some other audio application still open, but there are also things to consider that are not so obvious. Such as the "Microsoft GS Software Wavetable Synth", which is enabled as a default MIDI output in some sequencer software. Check the MIDI settings of your host application! For a further explanation on this issue, I recommend this link. Besides, this may also be related to the 44.1 vs. 48kHz issue as explained above. Try to set up a project with 48kHz and see whether this makes a difference. As a last resort, check the "Force 16 Bit Samples" option in the control panel. If it still doesn't work, report!
(Version 2.x) This error should not happen as often anymore. Instead, you simply get no audio, and, if you open the ASIO4ALL control panel, you will find that your audio outputs are flagged with an error symbol. The most likely reason and remedy for this hasn't changed, however.
D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:01 PM   #5
Lawrence

Yep. That did it.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
manning1

lawrence.
just tryin to help.
if you want something cheap above on board sound.
i'm real happy with the toneport gx.
(got it as a pressy.)
dirt cheap/low latency drivers.
works just great in reaper mate.
i'm v happy , but try before you buy.
buyer beware etc etc cos your set up might be different than mine.
god bless.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Lawrence

Thanks Manning but I'll be adding a MOTU Ultralight to the laptop rig. I took my Traveler out of the studio to use it on the lappie for a few days to get an idea of performance with Vista, yada, yada.

All went well.