Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 11-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
hollywoodbeats
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper 4.13 doesn't see plugins

Hi there,
the latest version of reaper (4.13)suddenly doesn't see neither my waves plugins nor addictive drums, i haven't checked if other plugins are missing too. has anybody else expierienced this?
hollywoodbeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
ivansc

Checked your plugin paths? Could be as simple as the two affected plugs have their own separate directory for "their" .dll files and it has gotten missed off the list in reaper VST paths. I lost couple of vsts this way recently.
Waves certainly makes its own directory for the plugs, but an easy way round it would be to find the missing .dll files and just copy THEM to you main plugin directory and see if they reappear.

Clean up and enter the proper paths once you KNOW that is the problem?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
prinsv

i have the same bug. all my vst plugs suddenly disappeared

i've tried changing paths... but even though i try to have only one path in the vst setup, the program does'nt find any of them

this is a major bug... i cant do anything

Last edited by prinsv; 11-29-2011 at 06:05 PM.
prinsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
scredly

Default Plug-ins missing 4.13

Same issue. Changed path - cleared cache and rescanned - only a handful show up. Scan again a different handful show-up. Close and reopen Reaper - paths have changed.

Win7 x64.

MSI P45D3, Intel Q6600, 4GB Patriot PVS34G1333LLK, PowerColor HD4650, Thermaltake ToughPower 750, XP Pro 32-bit, LiteOn 22x SATA DVR-IHAS422-08, WDD VelociRaptor 150GB (system drive), Seagate 500GB (data), Seagate 1TB (audio drive)in mobile rack. Rack case. Presonus Firestudio 26x26, Presonus Digimax FS, Lucid GENx6-96 Word Clock, and more...
scredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
ChannelCatRecording

Waves V-Comp shows up, but PIE Comp is missing. Super annoying!

UPDATE - I followed someone's suggestion of copying and pasting my Waves plugs from the Waves folder into the HD's Library/Plug-ins/VST folder (not sure if this was a necessary step), and then cleared cache/re-scanned VSTs in the Prefs, and the PIE Comp is now coming up. YAY!

Last edited by ChannelCatRecording; 12-03-2011 at 09:17 AM.
ChannelCatRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:02 AM   #6
stumpbroke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scredly View Post
Same issue. Changed path - cleared cache and rescanned - only a handful show up. Scan again a different handful show-up. Close and reopen Reaper - paths have changed.

Win7 x64.
same here, plugs seem to randomly come up missing, clear cache, rescan different plugs missing, close reaper then reopen, different paths showing, haven't added any new plugs or changed any paths since version 3.7 or so, first noticed this issue after update to version 4.12.
stumpbroke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
prinsv

hello... is anybody going to help with this problem???

this is kind of a dead end for us... Reaper does'nt run proberly
prinsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scredly View Post

Win7 x64.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpbroke1 View Post
same here, plugs seem to randomly come up missing, clear cache, rescan different plugs missing, close reaper then reopen, different paths showing, haven't added any new plugs or changed any paths since version 3.7 or so, first noticed this issue after update to version 4.12.
1.) When you update REAPER, it will scan your plug-in folders like when you use "clear cache and re-scan". The problem is, if there's a latent stability problem with your computer or the plug-ins, they may crash already during scan. If they do, they get removed from the list. To check, open reaper-vstplugins.ini (it's in the REAPER resource folder) and check the line(s) with the missing plug-in(s). It should have 2 blocks of alphanumeric characters following the plug-in name. If it doesn't, the plug-in was "blacklisted" because it crashed. This can also explain why different plug-ins are not showing up after "clear cache and re-scan". This is the worst case scenario since you/we need to find out why it's crashing but if it's different plug-ins after re-scanning, maybe it's actually one troublemaker plug-in randomly shooting off other plug-ins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinsv View Post
i have the same bug. all my vst plugs suddenly disappeared

i've tried changing paths... but even though i try to have only one path in the vst setup, the program does'nt find any of them

this is a major bug... i cant do anything
2.) Don't install plug-ins in REAPER\Plugins or REAPER\Plugins This folder is for REAPER plug-ins and extensions only, REAPER will not scan subfolders in that place (hence not find anything with its own folder in there) and it will scan your plug-ins on every REAPER start, thus (@stumpbroke increasing the chance that 1.) happens and slowing down startup. If that's not your problem:

REAPER 32 or 64 bit?
Operating system?
Which plug-ins?
Where did you install them (path)?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChannelCatRecording View Post
Waves V-Comp shows up, but PIE Comp is missing. Super annoying!

UPDATE - I followed someone's suggestion of copying and pasting my Waves plugs from the Waves folder into the HD's Library/Plug-ins/VST folder (not sure if this was a necessary step), and then cleared cache/re-scanned VSTs in the Prefs, and the PIE Comp is now coming up. YAY!
Waves are a little special in that regard AFAIK but in general:

3. Find the folder with the actual plug-in .DLL and note its folder location. Some plug-ins create multiple folders and the one you added in preferences may have been just one of the other folders.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #9
stumpbroke1

Hello Ollie, I forgot to mention that I have both x32 and x64 Reaper version 4.13 installed, on w7 x64 OS, I noticed that in appdata/REAPER there is a vst-plugins file as well as a vst64-plugins file, but this is not new, I've had both x32 and x64 installed from the beginning(ver 3.0) and didn't have this problem, when I open up the vst-plugin file on the list I see the plugins as you mentioned followed by numbers, but they still don't show up when the program is open and I try to insert FX.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #10
stumpbroke1

Oh and vst paths have been the same for a while with no new plugins since Reaper version 4.01.
will send plugin list when I get home in the morning, at work right now.
Thanks
Old 12-07-2011, 02:06 AM   #11
DarkStar

.. I would reinstall v4.12 for the moment
Old 12-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
stumpbroke1

Here are my vst cache files from appdata/reaper
Attached Files
File Type: ini reaper-vstplugins.ini (7.6 KB, 404 views)
File Type: ini reaper-vstplugins64.ini (6.8 KB, 396 views)
Old 12-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
saddle

I recently built a new machine and I'm running Windows 7, 64 and have both the 64 and 32 bit version of Reaper. Although this may not even be related to your problem, I found by searching the threads that when scanning for VST's, and you have multiple paths, Reaper only remembers the name of the last DLL scanned. Or if your DLL's are in folders that have sub-folders, it starts at the bottom of the folders, and remembers the DLL's in the upper folders (last scanned).

So on my 32 bit reaper, I have the 64bit VST path first, then the 32 bit dll's.

For the 64 bit Reaper, I have the 32 bit path first, then the 64 bit. So if I have both 32 and 64 bit DLL's, I get the correct version (32/64) for the version of Reaper I'm using.

May not have any effect on VST's that don't show up at all..
saddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
stumpbroke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddle View Post
I recently built a new machine and I'm running Windows 7, 64 and have both the 64 and 32 bit version of Reaper. Although this may not even be related to your problem, I found by searching the threads that when scanning for VST's, and you have multiple paths, Reaper only remembers the name of the last DLL scanned. Or if your DLL's are in folders that have sub-folders, it starts at the bottom of the folders, and remembers the DLL's in the upper folders (last scanned).

So on my 32 bit reaper, I have the 64bit VST path first, then the 32 bit dll's.

For the 64 bit Reaper, I have the 32 bit path first, then the 64 bit. So if I have both 32 and 64 bit DLL's, I get the correct version (32/64) for the version of Reaper I'm using.

May not have any effect on VST's that don't show up at all..
BINGO your right, I changed the order of my VST paths and they are all back....Big thanks for the help Saddle...
Old 12-13-2011, 02:48 AM   #15
stumpbroke1

And as to whether or not it affects the vst.dll's that are not showing up at all, I have sample tank in both my 32bit vst folder as well as under the original ST install or program folder, it was completely missing, added the path from IK program folder at the end of vst path list and it reappeared, I don't have a clue as to why that worked.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:56 AM   #16
stumpbroke1

I know this doesn't qualify as a bug, but I do think it may indicate a little needed tweeking with the VST scanner IMHO.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #17
saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpbroke1 View Post
And as to whether or not it affects the vst.dll's that are not showing up at all, I have sample tank in both my 32bit vst folder as well as under the original ST install or program folder, it was completely missing, added the path from IK program folder at the end of vst path list and it reappeared, I don't have a clue as to why that worked.
Reaper only looks in the \REAPER\Plugins folder, and the folders that you create, (or the software you installed created) that you have listed in the VST path. There is a default Registry entry for a VST folder. I don't remember it off hand, but it's generally safest to either move the installed plugin to the VST folder of your choice, so you know it's there, or pay real close attention to the install procedure and note the install path, so you can add that to reaper.

Glad you got it to show up. I'm not sure this is a bug.. I just know that Reaper expects you to list the VST paths for it... It will attempt to find VST, but looks in a more standardized place like: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins -- or something similar.

Thanks
Saddle
Old 06-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #18
SEA

I know this is an old thread by MAYBE someone could help with this.

In my old daw using the same OS (Win 7 64) all my 32bit VSTi instruments work fine! Reaper's 32bit bridge is great!

Now I built my new daw (Win 7 64) and I can't get Reaper to load my instruments! I loaded Trilian and it works (64bit version) but none of the others.

Reaper DOES see them (and Trilian 64bit as well)NOT as VSTi (intruments), BUT instead as VSTs (effects) (HUH?) When loading them it says "The following Effects could not be loaded."

Take LL3 for and example. I scan for LL3 in the C:\Program Files (x86)AAS folder. I also copied the VSTi and the DXi.dll and placed them in the VSTPlugin folder that I made to put all my VST's in (which I did for Trilian and it works fine) and it stills doesn't see them as VSTis!

I also check the box that says "Get VST names/types when scanning."

Any tips?

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic

Last edited by SEA; 06-27-2014 at 11:00 AM.
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #19
saddle

One thing reaper does that has thrown me in the past...

If you have several dll's with the same name, reaper will do this:

With multiple scan paths, if the same name is found in several paths, the last path with the dll name wins. ie "C:\vstplugins;d:\vstplugins" - the vst in the D: path with the same name is loaded. Or stated another way, the last one in the path is loaded.

If all your VST's are in one folder with subdirectories, then the dll highest in the directory structure is last loaded.

Not sure if this is what you were asking.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #20
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddle View Post
One thing reaper does that has thrown me in the past...

If you have several dll's with the same name, reaper will do this:

With multiple scan paths, if the same name is found in several paths, the last path with the dll name wins. ie "C:\vstplugins;d:\vstplugins" - the vst in the D: path with the same name is loaded. Or stated another way, the last one in the path is loaded.

If all your VST's are in one folder with subdirectories, then the dll highest in the directory structure is last loaded.

Not sure if this is what you were asking.
Thanks for your input saddle!

Let's say... I have Trilian, LL3, M42, TERA3 synth, all in the SAME VSTPlugin folder correct? It SEES them as VST NOT VSTi. So... it WILL load Trilian (it's 64bit) but the others which I believe are all 32bit Reaper won't load. It DID show Trilian AS a VSTi but when I now it sees Trilian as a VST only. Trilian WORKS so I don't care about that.

Now, it LOADS THEM FINE using Reapers 32bit bridge in my OLD DAW! I can boot it up and work! But my NEW daw they won't.

I even cleared everything and just pointed to the folder of ONE of the VST instruments the same thing happens.

The ONLY difference in the new daw is I'm using Windows 7 64 Enterprise vs. Win 7 64 Ultimate. That should have nothing to do with it.

Any suggestions?

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #21
Mark Jones

Old thread but still useful.
For me the problem was a missing dll (snmpapi.dll).
I use a customized copy of Win 7 x64 (a lot of stuff removed ), so that file was missing.
After copied it into System32 and SysWOW64, all missing plugins reappeared...
Mark Jones is offline   Reply With Quote