Old 02-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
DarrenH
Human being with feelings

Default ffmpeg.dll x64?

Hi all,

Reaper x64 isn't importing/playing videos that x32 does!

I've already installed VLC x64.

I've been reading that I may need the mythical x64 "ffmpeg.dll" for this to happen. So I went on over to ffmpeg.zeranoe.com. But the builds don't have a "ffmpeg.dll" file. Only EXE.

So I downloaded and scanned (twice) an apparently x64 version of ffmpeg.dll from a sketchy DLL site. Problem persists.

I'm pretty sure some people are using x64 to work with video. How is it done?

THX D

Last edited by DarrenH; 02-19-2018 at 01:25 PM.
DarrenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #2
DarrenH

I solved by converting video to AVI. Reaper doesn't seem to like MP4s? Either way, all good now.
DarrenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
Lunar Ladder

It should load mp4 files just fine. I literally have Reaper open right at this moment and I'm working on a commission with a h264 mpeg-4 file of a development build gameplay capture loaded as a reference on the timeline

I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 (and it's the x64 version of Reaper, naturally). Done a lot of work using video references, and haven't run into any problems. There's a ffmpeg.dll in the C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins directory like it should, just checked. Not to be confused with VST plugins and the like, of course, it's the Reaper expansion directory that is used for various codec stuff, the SWS expansion, and so on.

The dll isn't placed there by me, and it has originated from a default Reaper installation. I would imagine it's a factory part of Reaper, and if it's missing, something weird has happened?
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
Lunar Ladder

Ah, Reaper can use VLC. Tell you what, try to install the 64 bit build of that (direct link https://get.videolan.org/vlc/3.0.0/w....0.0-win64.exe ), then make sure "vlc" is the first entry in the options for video decoder priority. That might work very nicely too

Edit: yep, made sure, even the installation I'm on actually uses VLC as the video decoder. So there.

(Screencap from the "video item properties" in the video window)
Old 02-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
Lunar Ladder

VLC seems to be the preferred default decoder these days.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #6
Casiquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
For encoding, you'll still want to get the latest FFMPEG that's compatible with Reaper.

Download the latest FFMPEG that's compatible with Reaper from here.

https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Choose a version of FFMPEG that has the version number ("release build"), not a "nightly" or "latest" build. Choose your OS version. Choose "shared".

Unzip it. Put the DLLs from the extracted Zip archive's "bin" folder (but not the EXEs) into the "Reaper resource folder" specifically in its "userplugins" subfolder. To find your Reaper resource folder, within reaper go to the menu and choose Options -> Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder. Then you'll see the "userplugins" subfolder. Put those DLLs in there. Restart Reaper.

(These DLLs are *not* to be placed in " C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins"!)
Thanks! Unfortunately there don't seem to *be* DLLs that are not EXEs in that folder, or any other.

Edit - there's an option to download a "shared" build instead of the default. Some DLLs are included there, but the m4a files I'm trying to load still won't open properly.
Casiquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:01 AM   #7
Eliseat

JamesPeters,

I pushed all files from the bin folder into "user plugins" AND deleted the ffmpeg.exe from standard plugins folder (main location) to get to the new version of ffmpeg. It works without any problem.

Its a bit confusing that Reaper looks into two locations because if you upgrade you are not sure if everything fits together. So I would suggest to put all files from the 64bit zip file (ffmpeg share/ all inside "bin" folder) into the "user plugins" folder and deleting it from the main location.

At least it worked great on my setup.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:58 PM   #8
Cableaddict

I'm bumping this thread, as I can't find any more current thread on the subject.

I haven't worked on any video since 2017. I can't rememeber if Reaper was x64 by then, I think it must have been.

Anyway, I'm trying to re-edit some MP4 video files that were loaded then, and they won't play. I also can't load any new MP4 files.

I installed VLC, but it doesn't work. the Reaper prompt says it can't find the path. OK, so I thought I'd try the FFmpeg thing, as discussed here, but I'm having the same problem as Casiquire: There are NO Dll files in that download.

No one ever responded to his last post.

I found a new version of FFmpeg itself, but I can't quite figure out how to insatall it with the command line. I'm worried I might screw something up.
---------------

Is there a new way to do this? (It really shouldn't be this hard, should it?)

thx.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:38 PM   #9
nofish

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=82459

The first post ('Windows x86 and x64' section) contains the correct Zeranoe links and where to put the .dll's (no need to install via command line, it's just drag and drop).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:00 PM   #10
Cableaddict

Thanks!

Airon did a great job, compiling all of that.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #11
Sweetfoot

OSX 10.15.4 user here, I am downloading the 4.3.3 64 bit shared build, the download doesn't contain any .dll files. I feel like I'm going in circles trying to figure out how to install the latest ffmpeg.
Sweetfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #12
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetfoot View Post
OSX 10.15.4 user here, I am downloading the 4.3.3 64 bit shared build, the download doesn't contain any .dll files. I feel like I'm going in circles trying to figure out how to install the latest ffmpeg.
As mentioned in the link in post #12: the file extension on macOS is .dylib (.dll is for use on Windows).
Old 04-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #13
Sweetfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
As mentioned in the link in post #12: the file extension on macOS is .dylib (.dll is for use on Windows).
The guide says that you need FFmpeg.dylib, but that is also no present in the download. There is a unix executable file called ffmpeg, but none of the .dylib files are called ffmpeg.dylib

Does the guide need to be updated, or am I missing something?
Old 04-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #14
solger

Quote:
The guide says that you need FFmpeg.dylib, but that is also no present in the download. There is a unix executable file called ffmpeg, but none of the .dylib files are called ffmpeg.dylib

Does the guide need to be updated, or am I missing something?
Yeah, I guess the naming might have been changed in newer versions. Copying all of the .dylib files from the bin folder of the shared build download should be enough.

In general, it should also be no problem to copy the executable from the bin folder as well, but the .dylib files are mainly the important ones.

Last edited by solger; 04-24-2020 at 11:32 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #15
Sweetfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Yeah, I guess the naming might have been changed in newer versions. Copying all of the .dylib files from the bin folder of the shared build download should be enough.

In general, it should also be no problem to copy the executable from the bin folder as well, but the .dylib files are mainly the important ones.
I've copied all the .dylib files in the download over to the user plugins folder in the reaper resources path. How do I confirm that reaper is loading the newest library?

In the preferences>video/import/misc> window, if I click on "show available decoder information", I get the following info, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Available decoder information:

========== AVFoundation ==========
AVFoundation decoder/encoder available

========== VLC ==========
VLC v3.0.x
Loaded from: /Applications/VLC.app

========== ffmpeg/libav ==========
ffmpeg/libav DLL decoder v54.92.100

Loaded from: /Applications/REAPER64.app/Contents/Plugins/FFmpeg.dylib
ffmpeg/libav configuration:
--arch=x86_64
--extra-cflags='-arch x86_64 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -I../libvpx -I../libvorbis-1.3.1/include -I../libogg-1.2.0/include'
--extra-ldflags='-arch x86_64 -Wl,-syslibroot,/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -L../libvpx -L../libvorbis-1.3.1/lib/.libs -L../libogg-1.2.0/src/.libs'
--enable-shared
--disable-static
--enable-memalign-hack
--disable-debug
--disable-avdevice
--disable-avfilter
--disable-network
--disable-everything
--disable-swscale-alpha
--disable-dct
--disable-fft
--disable-mdct
--disable-rdft
--disable-vaapi
--disable-vdpau
--disable-dxva2
--disable-zlib
--disable-bzlib
--enable-muxer=avi
--enable-muxer=matroska
--enable-demuxer=avi
--enable-demuxer=matroska
--enable-muxer=dv
--enable-demuxer=dv
--enable-muxer=webm
--enable-muxer=mov
--enable-demuxer=mov
--enable-encoder=qtrle
--enable-decoder=qtrle
--enable-encoder=ffv1
--enable-decoder=ffv1
--enable-encoder=huffyuv
--enable-decoder=huffyuv
--enable-encoder=dvvideo
--enable-decoder=dvvideo
--enable-libvpx
--enable-encoder=libvpx_vp8
--enable-decoder=libvpx_vp8
--enable-libvorbis
--enable-encoder=libvorbis
--enable-decoder=libvorbis
--enable-encoder=mjpeg
--enable-decoder=mjpeg
--enable-encoder=pcm_s16le
--enable-decoder=pcm_s16le
--enable-encoder=pcm_s24le
--enable-decoder=pcm_s24le
--enable-encoder=pcm_f32le
--enable-decoder=pcm_f32le
--enable-protocol=file
--disable-iconv
--disable-version3
--disable-gpl

ffmpeg/libav search path:
$PATH ( usually includes /usr/local/lib and ~/lib )
Old 04-24-2020, 12:06 PM   #16
solger

Quote:
I've copied all the .dylib files in the download over to the user plugins folder in the reaper resources path. How do I confirm that reaper is loading the newest library?
I'd suggest to simply try importing files like .mp4 (mentioned in your other thread) again: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=234724
In general, there's also the option to use Item > Source Properties to check for information which decoder was used.

And in case there are still any problems with importing certain files, we can try to investigate further then.

Last edited by solger; 04-24-2020 at 12:23 PM. Reason: typo
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:28 PM   #17
Sweetfoot

Quote:
Is there a reason you're not using the AVfoundation codec that's installed with MacOS?
I haven't changed any settings in reaper, my understanding is that reaper would use AVfoundation by default. Do I need to tell reaper to use AVfoundation? I'm trying to import .MTS files from an old camcorder. I found a workaround, which is to open the files in iMovie first, which generates a.mov version in the iMovie library, which I can then drop into reaper. I'd rather just have reaper be able to open them directly though.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:36 PM   #18
Sweetfoot

Quote:
If you're importing MTS files, VLC should handle it (as the video codec for importing and playback of video within Reaper). Install the appropriate version of VLC.

If you're trying to save as an MTS file, I don't know what would do that.
I have the latest VLC installed, and according to the readout I posted above, reaper sees VLC. I can open the videos outside of reaper with VLC but reaper says it can't import the .MTS files
Old 04-25-2020, 11:25 AM   #19
pepe44

add VLC folder to your windows path
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #20
Sweetfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
add VLC folder to your windows path