Old 11-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #1
Jeffsounds
Human being with feelings

Default Life On The Run

This another in the long line of songs to which I am having real drums added (thanks Abraham Liftin!). I've always loved the old west whether it be books or movies. I'm also a fan of early Charlie Daniels (check out Caballo Diablo and Billy The Kid) who is also a fan of the old west and author Louie L'Amour. This tells the story of a young man who gets the reputation of having a fast gun through circumstances that he could not control. He never wanted the reputation but he was saddled with it until one day when his reputation came to an end.

Life On The Run
Old 11-14-2019, 06:04 PM   #2
toleolu

That's really, I mean really, good!!
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:07 PM   #3
Jeffsounds

Thanks, toleolu! Much appreciated!
Old 11-15-2019, 04:57 AM   #4
morgon

I had a listen this morning, great job, cheers.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Thanks, toleolu! Much appreciated!
Is Rami playing drums on this??

By the way, thanks again for making my stuff sound like shit!!!!
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
Tod

Ha ha, I don't know about that fuzzy sound in the background, but this is very good Jeff. Great vocal and guitar, great performance.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
I had a listen this morning, great job, cheers.
Thanks for the listen and the comment, morgon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
Is Rami playing drums on this??
No. It's Abraham Liftin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
By the way, thanks again for making my stuff sound like shit!!!!
You'll get there. I still don't think my mixing sounds that good. It takes time and since I've retired I have lots of it. I just don't spend it mixing and I probably should!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Ha ha, I don't know about that fuzzy sound in the background, but this is very good Jeff. Great vocal and guitar, great performance.
Thanks for the listen and comments, Tod. Fuzzy sound in the background?
Old 11-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #8
nait

This is a really good song. Musically, excellent stuff. Mixing, yeah, to me it seems like something is off in the drums, like they're a little buried in the background or something (maybe a little more brightness in there would go a long way), along with some other small issues. Just giving my very inexperienced $0.02. It also could just be the less than stellar headphones I'm currently listening on though, so take that comment with a grain of salt. But this is great. The vocals are very good.. pro!
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 11-15-2019 at 03:05 PM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #9
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Liftin' View Post
Blasphemy!!!!!!
Probably just crummy headphones then! I'll re listen at home on better speakers/phones.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #10
nait

Quote:
No no, I'm just joking.

Nobody's opinion should ever be dismissed. This is why people post songs on forums, for honest criticism, not a meaningless pat on the back.

Oh and just realized you did the drums per above posts. lol No offense meant.. the playing is great, it just sounded a bit "buried" in the mix, as I said.. but I still think it could just be my cheap headphones are too bassy and things are getting muddied up a bit thanks to these. I think the musicianship all throughout is undeniably great though. At least you could say that what I'm really saying is I want to hear more of you in this mix! lol
Old 11-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #11
Tod

Quote:
Thanks for the listen and comments, Tod. Fuzzy sound in the background?
It's the sound that starts the song off, at the very front, and then continues through the song. It just sounds a little weird to me, especially in relation with the rest of the instruments and vocal.

But don't let that bother you, I'm and old fart and and so is my thinking.

You sing great Jeff, I like your voice, and if that's you on the guitar, then you've got that covered too.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:11 PM   #12
Tod

Quote:
Sounds good, Jeff. I don't hear any "Fuzzy sound in the background" but hopefully Tod can explain. I hope he's not talking about the clav.

At least he found it funny, with a "haha", so it can't be that bad.
Humm, so that's a clavinova? Ha ha, I thought maybe synth but would never guessed clav. But now that you mention it, I can kind of hear that.

Very nice drums Abraham, I listened close and was impressed.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #13
nait

For the record, I take back what I said about the drums being a bit buried in the mix. I don't listen to music at work much, and should have thought of the possibility that the headphones I had there are possibly quite muffled. I listened to the song again on some decent speakers and everything sounds great. I'm really impressed by the quality of musicianship on this too. Sounds very professional. A lot of songs that people post here sound good, but this one is a whole other level of good. I'm pretty impressed by all parts of this track, but really particularly love the vocals. Excellent guitar solos too. I'm 45, so it's not like I'm young pup by any stretch, but I think my dad would really love this track. This genre is right in his wheelhouse. He has great taste in music and still gigs at age 71, so that's a compliment, I'd like to think.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:19 PM   #14
Tod

Quote:
Thanx a lot. No offense was taken at all.

Thanx a lot, Tod.

Not to nit-pick, but I don't think a clavinova and a clavinet are the same thing, but I'm not a keyboard expert. A clavinet is what Stevie Wonder uses in the intro of "Superstition". I think a clavinova combines that sound with strings, but I might be wrong. I think Jeff added distortion to his. He must think he's Jon frickin' Lord or something.
Aah okay, just looked up Clavinet and you're right, it sounds just like what's in "Live On The Run". I guess my preference would have been some Ac Guitar or something, but hey, this is 11/15/20, not 1970-80-90.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #15
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Nobody's opinion should ever be dismissed. This is why people post songs on forums, for honest criticism, not a meaningless pat on the back.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Oh and just realized you did the drums per above posts. lol No offense meant.. the playing is great, it just sounded a bit "buried" in the mix, as I said.. but I still think it could just be my cheap headphones are too bassy and things are getting muddied up a bit thanks to these. I think the musicianship all throughout is undeniably great though. At least you could say that what I'm really saying is I want to hear more of you in this mix! lol
Careful there! He tends to get a big head when he gets too many compliments and then his price goes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
It's the sound that starts the song off, at the very front, and then continues through the song. It just sounds a little weird to me, especially in relation with the rest of the instruments and vocal.

But don't let that bother you, I'm and old fart and and so is my thinking.

You sing great Jeff, I like your voice, and if that's you on the guitar, then you've got that covered too.
What you're hearing is a clavinet and if it's in the background then my mixing skills need work! The lead and fill guitar was done by a friend in New York. I'm playing the bass, rhythm guitars and slide.

Quote:
Ok, I'll leave a comment as a listener, not as a player on this tune.

Jeff, is this the same mix you sent me? For some reason, I'm only now detecting something in the low end that might not sound 100% natural. Did you add some kind of "Mega Bass" plug in or something along those lines? The low end in general, meaning not specifically the bass or the kik, sounds artificially hyped somehow. It might be a bit too much, but you know me. I might come back with a totally different opinion tomorrow.
No, that is the same mix that I sent you. Nothing should be hyped unless the Dropbox player does it. But I'm assuming you didn't use the Dropbox player?
Old 11-16-2019, 06:02 PM   #16
msundh

i agree on the 'REALLY GOOD' part.
Damn this is good!!!!
I would replace the funky electronic bass with a more heavy hard rock bass style sound though.
damn good job!!!!
Old 11-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #17
Stinger

Yes this ones pretty cool. I really like the wawa-ing mid-song, and it's amazing how well the clavi at the intro feeds so well into the guitar instrumentation....sounds almost like a funky picked bass.

Funny, I don't care at all about cowboy lore / movies, etc., but I love cowboy songs, or even cowboy poetry. For me, it's kind of like Elvis - I hate just about everything Elvis ever did, but man, there sure have been some great songs written ABOUT him.

Interesting that you told the story in the third person - Dad talking about / to his son, rather than 1st person. Just something I notice, because I struggle with that in my lyrics (did I do this, or did he do this?), sometimes going back and changing after the lyrics are finished.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:11 PM   #18
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
i agree on the 'REALLY GOOD' part.
Damn this is good!!!!
I would replace the funky electronic bass with a more heavy hard rock bass style sound though.
damn good job!!!!
Thank you, msundh! I really appreciate the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Yes this ones pretty cool. I really like the wawa-ing mid-song, and it's amazing how well the clavi at the intro feeds so well into the guitar instrumentation....sounds almost like a funky picked bass.

Funny, I don't care at all about cowboy lore / movies, etc., but I love cowboy songs, or even cowboy poetry. For me, it's kind of like Elvis - I hate just about everything Elvis ever did, but man, there sure have been some great songs written ABOUT him.

Interesting that you told the story in the third person - Dad talking about / to his son, rather than 1st person. Just something I notice, because I struggle with that in my lyrics (did I do this, or did he do this?), sometimes going back and changing after the lyrics are finished.
Thank you, Stinger! Appreciate the listen and the comments. I've never been a huge fan of Elvis' music UNLESS it is from his movies, which I am a fan of. My mother had probably all of his albums and the ones I remember the most were the gospel albums. I gave the vinyl to my daughter who is on a vinyl kick lately. I love Elvis' movies though and the music that went along with them.

I guess it was a subconscious thing with the 3rd person angle. I didn't even consider it when I wrote it, it just came out that way. I wanted to tell the story of how the kid got his reputation with the gun and that it was all by accident and not intended. And in the end, he gets a second chance because someone else wanted that reputation. I think it came out very well.

Thanks again!
Old 11-17-2019, 12:56 AM   #19
jiff 41

Yip, Sounds REALLY serious good! More
Old 11-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #20
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiff 41 View Post
Yip, Sounds REALLY serious good! More
Thank you, jiff! I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment!
Old 11-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #21
Glennbo

Sounds great Jeff. Dig the little interlude in the middle.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:53 PM   #22
morgon

The outro slide part is cool too, suits the mood.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:54 PM   #23
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Sounds great Jeff. Dig the little interlude in the middle.
Thanks, Glennbo! Appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
The outro slide part is cool too, suits the mood.
Thanks, morgon!
Old 11-18-2019, 07:13 AM   #24
karbomusic

Sounds great!
Old 11-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #25
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Sounds great!
Thank you, Sir! I appreciate the listen and the comment!
Old 11-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #26
RobertP

Love it!
So clean and so much space ... sigh
Old 11-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #27
karbomusic

Quote:
Thank you, Sir! I appreciate the listen and the comment!
I didn't listen, just commented.

jk
Old 11-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #28
asharin

I really liked this, clean sounding mix...unlike anything I do lol. Drums fit well to my ear but then I'm no expert...but I liked it so works for me
asharin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:20 PM   #29
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
Love it!
So clean and so much space ... sigh
Thank you, RobertP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I didn't listen, just commented.

jk
I know, but I'm fully confident in your psychic abilities to pick up on it without actually listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharin View Post
I really liked this, clean sounding mix...unlike anything I do lol. Drums fit well to my ear but then I'm no expert...but I liked it so works for me
Thanks, asharin! Much appreciated!