Old 09-13-2020, 11:49 PM   #441
Dark Fader
Human being with feelings

@zeekat It looks like you have totally failed to procrastinate. Well done! How does it feel?
Old 09-14-2020, 01:51 AM   #442
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Damn, you know this makes me realize that a vocal element really is kinda important in music for whatever reason. They just provide instant emotion that wasn't there before (if they don't suck utterly ofc). I guess that's part of why vocal chopping is such a thing, and auto tune and all the other ways non-singers can get vox into their tracks.

I actually really like singing. Along with other voices anyway. My results tend to fuck up my songs most of the time but I'm probably a bit too hard on myself.
Yeah, music does a feel a bit desolate without voices, and it must feel more "yours" when you're audible there. But all I do to remedy that is use radio samples and bits like this. Wouldn't ever risk using my own voice, no amounts of autotune would help here

I need to figure out how to load this breathy stretched sound into a sampler and made it playable by hand. Shame I'm a sampler-moron. Maybe I should set myself a deadline to learn how to set a sampler patch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Fader View Post
@zeekat It looks like you have totally failed to procrastinate. Well done! How does it feel?
I didn't! It was just a tiny proof of concept, there's still a chance to fail. If you're obsessive enough, six weeks is nothing!
Old 09-15-2020, 03:59 AM   #443
+NRG

At the very least seeing this thread reminds me — do not procrastinate. But it’s also good to see you’re not alone...

I have been playing guitar more and that is my number one goal. So, now to start documenting my backlog of ideas!
Old 09-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #444
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Fader View Post
And he did some guitar for my track. He's full of lies!

However, Zeekat very nicely doing some guitar for me meant me doing guitar for me is now something I can procrastinate about even more.

Is that a positive result or are we just cancelling each other out?

EDIT: Im changing my deadline... By Sunday I will have Zeekat's rhythm guitar edited and sequenced. The video should be ready at the same time, even tho the track wont be finished.

Last edited by maxdembo; 09-15-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:47 AM   #445
zeekat

Hey, that means the thread is working, right? Go us. That, and the covid world tour obliterated the sad remnant of social activities of mine, that's extra free time for instrument tracking.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:34 PM   #446
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Hey, that means the thread is working, right? Go us.
Yeah man, this is good.

Uploading btw.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:59 PM   #447
Philbo King

I finally got around to checking out this thread.
But I haven't posted any unfinished work. Some finished atuff in my sig though.
I'll try to get to it...
Old 09-16-2020, 05:14 AM   #448
morgon

Quote:
Morgon finished 'Caught in the Middle of Your Fire' by 9/4/19...but we're not allowed to hear it
Au contraire my good man, but alas playback of the wav file on box and dropbox went awry,
so fwiw below is the "economy class" soundclout file.

There's significant changes -

Lyrics and melody altered

Some harmony vocals added

Key modulations added

Synth lines added

Various other stuff

Still some oinks in the track here and there; any mix suggestions welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/user-750395062/caught-632
Old 09-21-2020, 02:47 AM   #449
maxdembo

Guitar editing done. Moving on to the percussion.

By this Sunday, the 27th, I want the percussion finished and some heavily distorted guitar interludes finished

Make it so!

Oh, wait, I have to do this myself!? I need an intern...
Old 09-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #450
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Make it so!
Number one, you have the bridge!

I have a two minute sketch project so far. Made my breathy instrument by the dumbest way probably, rendering 24 reversed, stretched notes and loading each one into a rs5k instance (didn't want to have length pentalty for pitchshifting, I bet there's less dumb and laborious way). Everything does sound like a 70s crime drama theme.

Things I learned to do in like 15 years of "music production" hobby, while aiming for something completely different:

1. bad 70s crime drama music
2. Weather forecast soundtracks
3. ?
Old 09-22-2020, 06:01 AM   #451
morgon

@ZK,I'm reposting this from other forum, it's a bit relevant to previous topics around here inc the rebranded Chinese made entry level strat copy, mine's branded 'Magnum' and is the only gtr used on this track.

Procrastination level was low to moderate on this one, the only real holdup was figuring out a bridge to the key modulated later verse etc.
Quote:
“Seems like only yesterday” track made with an entry level strat copy, free vst’s [My Drumset; and a bass gtr vst in free Kontakt etc]

Sgear is the only sound on there that isn’t $0.00

I was doing a total resurfacing of me LP gtr neck which took quite a while so I did a “mock up” version of the track using the cheap strat copy, but I kind of like it on this particular song. I’ve got a better quality Yamaha but it’s out of service as well atm.

https://soundcloud.com/user-75039506...terday-21a-143
Old 09-22-2020, 08:27 AM   #452
zeekat

S-gear will sweeten up any old piece of plywood huh. It sounds kinda the Eagles.

(stratoid of mine got a honorable discharge last year to free space up for the next questionable purchase)
Old 09-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #453
morgon

Quote:
S-gear will sweeten up any old piece of plywood huh. It sounds kinda the Eagles.

(stratoid of mine got a honorable discharge last year to free space up for the next questionable purchase)
You got a good sound out of it on the track you posted, it's on three of my tracks now, but out of those three this particular track doesn't mind that almost woodwindy [lo-fi pickup] sound on the leads.

There's a few sketch tracks I've done where it sounds okay as a slightly crunched open chord RG as well.

I suppose replacing at least one of the pups is a consideration as it's very playable, it's fun to play such a light action sometimes, and most of an electric guitar's sound is in the pickups isn't it?
Old 09-23-2020, 06:18 AM   #454
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
You got a good sound out of it on the track you posted, it's on three of my tracks now, but out of those three this particular track doesn't mind that almost woodwindy [lo-fi pickup] sound on the leads.

There's a few sketch tracks I've done where it sounds okay as a slightly crunched open chord RG as well.

I suppose replacing at least one of the pups is a consideration as it's very playable, it's fun to play such a light action sometimes, and most of an electric guitar's sound is in the pickups isn't it?
My views is the guitar's sound is mostly in the mix and amps/effects. It's been a long time since I considered any pickup change other than "humbucker to get rid of single coil hum". Rest of the tone dilemmas is solved by browsing the amp models and cranking the gain knob on the interface

(if I had a strat now I'd probably try single sized humbuckers)
Old 09-23-2020, 07:04 PM   #455
foxAsteria

Quote:
My views is the guitar's sound is mostly in the mix and amps/effects.
Pickups definitely make an appreciable difference to my ear.

It's surely more subtle than an amp change but it changes when and how the guitar breaks up as well as the overall sensitivity to your playing.

Guitar and amp components are just like a mix tho. Every little thing isn't much on its own, but all those little things pushing toward the same goal is what gets you there.

Of course the average listener doesn't give a fuck what hardware or techniques or how hours went into the process. It'll only take a few seconds for them to decide whether or not they like it.

Also, I'm plainly into customization. I'd rather doll up a guitar I've had for many years and see if I can make it more "me" and become excited about it again than go buy some new thing I have to get used to.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:02 AM   #456
morgon

Back in the day I would lease Strats sometimes, to get that well known LP and Strat combo in the band.

That's why I'm in the market for a good Strat or similar right now, not that I'm rolling in it but what better to spend money on when making recordings. Question is, how much beer am I prepared to do without ��
Old 09-24-2020, 08:38 AM   #457
zeekat

Quote:
Also, I'm plainly into customization. I'd rather doll up a guitar I've had for many years and see if I can make it more "me" and become excited about it again than go buy some new thing I have to get used to.
I'm usually like ooh, a new guitar, it sounds really cool. Then pick up the old one and it kinda does the same thing, really hard to tell apart. Aside of the lipstick one, which sounds scrawnier. I like upgrades too, but mostly tuning-stability and look-wise. Kinda thinking about black humbucker covers with OMG on them and finding someone to 3D print KNOB knobs.

Some people do hilarious rebrandings on headstocks, saw someone having "Fidel StratoCastro" logo on a strat copy, brilliant.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:07 AM   #458
morgon

Around 1980, I decided to change out the bridge pup on the LP so I took it to the tech guy and asked him to put a couple of hundred bucks worth of Di Marzio in there. When I came back he'd put some other brand and only charged thirty bucks, I think it might be a Mighty Mite [double humbucker] It's a good sound, I've always used it as contrast, very different to the neck p.u bright sound.

I don't seem to use it on recordings though bc I imagine it might mask the lows a bit. But the contrast in sound that I figure only really comes by using a second guitar is what I'm after, doesn’t have to be a Strat, but that thinner brighter sound in contrast to the 'honk' of the LP. No matter which of the two quite different pups I use it still sounds like the same gtr to me.

The Yamaha I mentioned previously is probably not worth salvaging, so gotta find me something good that I'll wanna stick with, I don't like to spend too much time shopping around, it's a form of procrastination dammit, much like this post..

Last edited by morgon; 09-24-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #459
Jorgen

I'm in. I need to write a new song and make a production of it. I may have a melody and a few chords. I got myself a new drum gizmo and I want to try it out. Four weeks it is?
Old 09-24-2020, 06:23 PM   #460
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Four weeks it is?
It started out that way, but it's whatever you want now. Lemme know a date if you want me to put you on the list. Welcome to the club!
Old 09-24-2020, 06:35 PM   #461
foxAsteria

Quote:
finding someone to 3D print KNOB knobs.
Might check your local library. I found out that mine provides free 3d printing for some reason. Maybe it's a thing.

That's funny tho with the knob knobs game. I think I'd be a natural at it.

I've been really wanting to get a copper pickguard with a rad patina on it, but I can't find any. Been thinking about just making my own with adhesive copper foil and some ammonia.

Best reason imo to have more than one electric guitar is that you tend to get less phasing issues when double tracking the same part thru the same amp.

I get by just fine with 5 guitars (acoustic, classical, strat, tele, and my strictly metal first guitar I can't abandon for sentimental reasons), but I'm still haunted by the amazing action of a les paul and the amazing sound of a Gibson 335 I once played.

If you're looking for a new guitar that doesn't sound like the rest, you might check out some (semi) hollow bodies. They're more prone to feedback too, which can be...fun.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:03 PM   #462
morgon

Quote:
If you're looking for a new guitar that doesn't sound like the rest, you might check out some (semi) hollow bodies. They're more prone to feedback too, which can be...fun.
Yep, e.g Ted Nugent, [politics aside]

I like that sound a lot. Chet Atkins made sure the semi-hollow bodies would always be up there,
and e.g the guy pictured below [Malcolm Young]

And one of the very best, brilliant Jazz guy [George Benson]

Funny how this post was displayed in General UNTIL I posted the George Benson reference, then suddenly/weirdly disappeared, go figure.

Last edited by morgon; 09-24-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:11 PM   #463
morgon

Well, lasted a few minutes on General after that, but all good, bc we're all democratic around here, right?
Old 09-25-2020, 01:26 AM   #464
Garrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
I'm in. I need to write a new song and make a production of it. I may have a melody and a few chords. I got myself a new drum gizmo and I want to try it out. Four weeks it is?
What's the new drum gizmo?
share with the rest of the class
Old 09-25-2020, 03:35 AM   #465
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrick View Post
What's the new drum gizmo?
share with the rest of the class
Breaktweaker by Izotope, sold for next to nothing on Plugin Boutique. I've been looking for something that sounds modern and somewhat unnatural for some time now, and this one sounds pretty cool. I hope the presets are usable for what I have in mind.

October 25, then.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #466
zeekat

Quote:
I've been really wanting to get a copper pickguard with a rad patina on it, but I can't find any. Been thinking about just making my own with adhesive copper foil and some ammonia.

Best reason imo to have more than one electric guitar is that you tend to get less phasing issues when double tracking the same part thru the same amp.
When stereo tracking I'm trying to keep the sound as consistent as possible to avoid lopsidedness, so always the same guitar and same tone. Never knew phase could be a problem, you'll never play it twice identically anyway?

Quote:
I get by just fine with 5 guitars (acoustic, classical, strat, tele, and my strictly metal first guitar I can't abandon for sentimental reasons), but I'm still haunted by the amazing action of a les paul and the amazing sound of a Gibson 335 I once played.
Good ol metal guitar . I'm keeping my 20 years old shredstick forever too, how it still has so much of its frets left I don't know. Hollow body is still well ahead of me I guess, never felt the need to turn myself into Wes Montgomery.

Amazing action seems like a something that can be achieved in almost any guitar, really impressed how nice mine got after fret level and setup by people who know what they're doing.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:48 AM   #467
maxdembo

Ahead of schedule, ever so slightly.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:33 AM   #468
Rhonin

Default hi

i swear im not a procrastinator,..I just cant figure out what to do
Old 09-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #469
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonin View Post
Sample something.

Cover something.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #470
zeekat

Not bothering to learn the instrument then trying to do it entirely during the recording really isn't the brightest way of doing things. I just spent hours to do a simple, serviceable harpsichord bit by hand, coz I forgot I completely can't keyboards (but still don't want programmed ones). I feel like I make everything with sheer stubornness and force of will, because skill sure isn't there. Yesterdays guitar track took a couple dozen tries too. I sort of hate my hobby.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #471
maxdembo

Quote:
Not bothering to learn the instrument then trying to do it entirely during the recording really isn't the brightest way of doing things. I just spent hours to do a simple, serviceable harpsichord bit by hand, coz I forgot I completely can't keyboards (but still don't want programmed ones). I feel like I make everything with sheer stubornness and force of will, because skill sure isn't there. Yesterdays guitar track took a couple dozen tries too. I sort of hate my hobby.
By any means necessary!
Old 09-28-2020, 06:52 PM   #472
foxAsteria

Quote:
Do whatever you want and then use the momentum to do whatever needs doing for as long as you can do it. All nighters are great for music cause there's usually nobody else up to bother you.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:57 PM   #473
foxAsteria

Quote:
Not bothering to learn the instrument then trying to do it entirely during the recording really isn't the brightest way of doing things.
Well how else then? Sit down and actually practice? *yawn*
Old 09-28-2020, 08:25 PM   #474
Time Waster

I've been meaning to post something on this thread for a long time, but I just don't seem to be able to get around to it.

My problem is procrastinating doing the vocals. I think I'm always worried that I will stuff up a nice piece of music. Oddly, when I was much younger, this wasn't a problem.

Anyway, I'm currently working on a song with fairly minimal instrumentation. All the lyrics are written and the instrumentation is more than ready to the point of hyper-focus on small details, which will probably have to change once the vocals are there. I'm going to set myself a deadline of next Sunday (4th October) to get the vocals down, although I have got a lot of more important things that I should be doing, so that might not happen
Old 09-28-2020, 09:07 PM   #475
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
My problem is procrastinating doing the vocals. I think I'm always worried that I will stuff up a nice piece of music. Oddly, when I was much younger, this wasn't a problem.
Same. Couple tricks I use are to remove the dry vox and have only the reverb. Gets the melodies in without the vox being too obtrusive. You can just sing gibberish then too, cause there's no articulation. That's my other trick.

Oh and helps to get some vocal ideas in early so that you don't have that problem of making room later and you can refine the fx chain, which makes retracking them more fun.

I'll put you on the list.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:19 AM   #476
zeekat

Quote:
Well how else then? Sit down and actually practice? *yawn*
I know right. I suspect there's no sex and drugs in rock n roll at all, there's only woodshedding. Debauchery is outsourced to designated, non playing degenerates.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:23 AM   #477
Rhonin

Quote:
Do whatever you want and then use the momentum to do whatever needs doing for as long as you can do it. All nighters are great for music cause there's usually nobody else up to bother you.
its more a problem of having too many options as far as the kind of songs im going to be doing
Old 09-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #478
maxdembo

Quote:
I know right. I suspect there's no sex and drugs in rock n roll at all, there's only woodshedding. Debauchery is outsourced to designated, non playing degenerates.
Compartmentalising it into smaller chunks you can play and then comping the best bits together, using the play rate slider to slow it down for the bits you cant play.

You've got unlimited tape, essentially, may as well splice together the best bits!

Im about to get the guitar out and do exactly this
Old 09-29-2020, 04:46 PM   #479
Time Waster

Quote:
its more a problem of having too many options as far as the kind of songs im going to be doing
A common problem. You need to apply some artistic constraints e.g. I'm only going to use XXX instruments, or the song must be in XXX genre. Anything to limit the options. You can break the rule once the song starts to take shape, but at least it gives you a framework to start in.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #480
foxAsteria

Quote:
Yea, imposing arbitrary limitations can help, like Time Waster said.

What I typically do is start with a free-form brainstorming phase, where I just experiment at random until something exciting happens, record that, and then keep recording any other ideas I have. Helps to keep some constant while bouncing ideas off it, so in then end all the ideas kinda belong together. Overthinking is a creativity killer.

Later I'll weed out all the crap, but the important thing is to be curious and non-critical during the first phase. Don't even think about what you're "trying to do." Just see what happens. Often what comes out is much more interesting than whatever you initially had in mind.

You can start anywhere. Thing's naturally branch out from there more and more readily as you develop a workflow. And the more you record, the more laziness will make it easy to ditch the weak stuff.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 09-30-2020 at 06:28 AM.
Closed Thread