Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #441
Panic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Heh heh, sorry but this whole thread just begs the question.

What is an audio engineer?
Glorified plumber?
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #442
airon

A person who solves audio problems.

That's what Engineers do.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #443
mschenkel

gotta say tl;dr. i gave a read to the first post and a look here and there.
but saying my 0.02.
the best tool in reaper is "?". i just think about an action, i search for it and often i find it right there, i see if it's already mapped on the keyboard and i'm done. every single action is there, without bothering searchin in thousand menus and sub enus and buttons and toolbars. if there is an action i use a bit more i give it a shortcut.
then there is glue for the midi/audio loops and things(for me it's crtl+shft+g for glue)
never needed any render in a long time(almost good pc, no heavy projects since a long time, my fault) but for mixes.
about sends: since i have two displays i always got my meter my sends and my effects at glance.
i've tried lots of differnt daws out there and since i'm using reaper i always get back to it to "render" the inspirations i've got from the others(reason, renoise, flstudio, live, energyxt, audiomulch). everything i did with those other daws was something i could do with reaper, maybe in somekind of more intricated way but i always felt the total control i couldn't feel with any other.

if all these were already said and i just didn't read'em i beg your pardon.
mschenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #444
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I might be wrong but I don't think Bruce Swedien has an engineering degree. I doubt if anyone would argue (legally or otherwise) that he doesn't deserve the title.
He has an electrical engineering degree but I agree, a 24/7 studio life is what gave him the title he owns today.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #445
Andy Hamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Heh heh, sorry but this whole thread just begs the question.

What is an audio engineer?
An Accoustical Engineer.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #446
jnif

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
The problems with reaper can't be boiled down to a FR or bug report.

The problems are "holistic" they have to do with the big picture.

Problems with focus / integration / keyboard control - too many different windows - hard to discover features / preferences - add up to a very considerable time required to make it useable.

I would suggest it could be a good time to pause re: feature requests and try to stitch the program together some.
Yes, I totally agree.

And to prevent those problems in the future, it might be good to follow this recommendation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox
  • Maintain a coherent vision of the user interface architecture. Create the initial vision during a "sprint zero" period — before any implementation has started — and maintain it through annual (or semi-annual) design vision sprints. You can't just design individual features; they have to fit together into a coherent whole — a whole that must be designed as well. Bottom-up user interface design equals a confused total user experience (the Linux syndrome).
And there is hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Apart from localization, which is a big project, at the moment we are in more of a cleanup phase. We expect to spend some time on consistency, and tidying up existing features, before moving on to adding major new features.

We are still early in the v4 cycle after all...
jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #447
Amazed

User Interface: A necessary evil required by developers to allow interaction with their code to prove it works.

Out of all the developers I worked with, very few of them were the slightest bit interested in user interface work and consequently most of them were pretty bad at it because they spent as little time as possible on that subject. A lot of the work was very pretty though often not aligned to solving the user problem as the developer understood it.

Nearly all of those developers thought their interface work (where they made a serious effort) was god given and that any user who dared to criticize it was clearly an idiot.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #448
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
User Interface: A necessary evil required by developers to allow interaction with their code to prove it works.
Pretty much.

The issue seems to be that most developers don't put enought forethought into the UI, they just kinda hack away at them as users complain about things. A bad UI is like a date where the girl is really pretty in the bar but starts taking stuff off later when you get her home.

Cubase ultimately turned out that way for me. All the little irritations just added up to being just too much to bear.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #449
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
An Acoustical Engineer.
Ha, ha, not to far removed from the truth.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #450
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
To newbies this can really be an obstacle one doesn't want to take.
Long ago in the mists of time, I knew people who were known as "unix gurus". When I was a kid we had these things called "command line-based operating systems", and "Windows" was the Trendy Thing.

"(insert snarky anti-Windows remark here) Phshhth! Watch what I can do with -d-fdfs/ f/shell -q1024 sdj : hakjbakbfaf"".

"see, I just defragged my entire 20 meg hard drive while updating my BBS and changing the user authorization on 100 different files!!! Hah, you'll never be able do that with your Winbloze, hahaha!"

Meanwhile, the rest of the world didn't care.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #451
semiquaver

Funny - I've recently been =moving to a more text-based unix-y work life and loving it. Ditched Sibelius for Lilypond. Write my lilypond code in Vim and script vim w/vimscript. get my mail w/Alpine. All much more efficient and easier on my wrists which got RSI from all the crap mous-ey guis out there.

+ good old *nix ran a whole university of terminals on the equivalent of an i3....
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote